Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads recovery more then twice as long as expected

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i estimated that recovery from a single crochet session would take 6 months for your dreads to recoverapparently i was wrong..way wronga member who had his dreads crocheted just the 1st day is 11 months into recovery and still they are too tight and hard but are softening slowly and loosening steadilybutit looks like it will be a year to a year and 1/2 or so before hes fully recovered from 1 crochet use.and when we say fully recovered that just means recovered as much as possible there is no full recovery possible because if the permanent harm caused.this is not meant to discourage those in recoverybut to urge others to not crochet or recommend it everalsowe have members who are locticians who although they do tell clients crochet is harmful and should not be overused they do say they think all dreads should be crocheted at least once..why should they be crocheted then have to recover for over a year?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 05:45:40AM
Jennifer Rose
@jennifer-rose
14 years ago
59 posts
Um no not me - I would NEVER tell people that :(Jenn
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea wasnt sure if it was u or amyi couldnt find her page tho

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u might be right i dunno ive never seen that every time ive seen it done was a really bad idea'i really cant see how it could be used safely but im not going to say it cantaltho i do believe it cant

Knottysleeves said:
It totally depends on the technique, though. Some crocheters totally mangle the hair and weave it so tightly that it takes forever to loosen up, if at all. But crochet can also be done gently and lightly, in a way that simply brings tangles closer together rather than weaving them into some inflexible fabric... it still allows for the hair to continue dreading naturally. It can merely be a kickstart, just like backcombing or twist & rip.

--
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
i agree with knotysleeves, i ve seen a few crochetted dreads and its a technique some people use, u crochet so much that the whole dread looks totally neat and like covered with fabric, sort of..still, the owner is happy with it and usually advice me that its time that i do something with my messy dreads :Dits possible to use crochet just to touch, help with knots on a very stubborn hair with little to no harm...general appearance of the dread should not be affected..
Dave2
@dave2
14 years ago
71 posts
i have to agree with knotty.this is my hair i'm guessing soaring eagle is talking about and i think even though i only maintained for the first two weeks I was a little excessive.When they were first done with backcomb and crochet they were soft and spongy, it was the maitainance keeping the daily frizz down that did the real damage.But yeah i think in the right hands it would be fine to start(lightly) just stop there and dont constantly maintain.
Cage Free
@cage-free
14 years ago
41 posts
I had mine crocheted the first day and then never again and it is me behind the super fast forming, extra loopy, 75% loss of length thread that was going a while back. I haven't seen any evidence of damage, hardness, or failure to loop and lock.I think it probably depends greatly on how they were crocheted. I've definitely seen pics on here of people who had their locks tightened down to a near painful looking degree.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
one of my friends has crochet locks. She loves them and so does everyone else.It's kind of an experiment tho, my BF has completely natural locks, one girl has crochet locks that were maintained with a hook twice, my other friend has backcombed locks that were crochet once, and I have half back-combed, 1/4 TnR, and 1/4 natural. most people prefer the crochet locks or the back-combed crochet locks. You can definitely tell the difference between the crochet dreads and non-crochet dreads tho, and I don't think that even though they have stopped using a crochet hook they will look like my BF's natural dreads ever.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
Well they like the look of them now, but how old are the natural ones? In a year or maybe 2 years they should look fuckin awesome

Lex said:
one of my friends has crochet locks. She loves them and so does everyone else.

It's kind of an experiment tho, my BF has completely natural locks, one girl has crochet locks that were maintained with a hook twice, my other friend has backcombed locks that were crochet once, and I have half back-combed, 1/4 TnR, and 1/4 natural. most people prefer the crochet locks or the back-combed crochet locks. You can definitely tell the difference between the crochet dreads and non-crochet dreads tho, and I don't think that even though they have stopped using a crochet hook they will look like my BF's natural dreads ever.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the ppl who preffer the crochet dreads dont have dreads themselves i bet?crochet dreads are the oh i dont wanna offend anyone by looking like i have dreads but i want to look like i have dreads that dint look like dreads kinda dreads (what an awkward sentence did that make sense?)

Lex said:
one of my friends has crochet locks. She loves them and so does everyone else.

It's kind of an experiment tho, my BF has completely natural locks, one girl has crochet locks that were maintained with a hook twice, my other friend has backcombed locks that were crochet once, and I have half back-combed, 1/4 TnR, and 1/4 natural. most people prefer the crochet locks or the back-combed crochet locks. You can definitely tell the difference between the crochet dreads and non-crochet dreads tho, and I don't think that even though they have stopped using a crochet hook they will look like my BF's natural dreads ever.

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form