Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Looking for a job and needing something to hide my messy hair

Skyler2
@skyler2
14 years ago
11 posts
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and thank you in advance for you're time :D. Ok so im needing alittle bit of help here, a few weeks back i tried to TnR my hair and no matter what i did my hair would not take to it, i mean it literally did nothing(my hair is naturally VERY straight and VERY fine so i am not sure if that was attributing to it) and so i pretty much gave up but then i figured "why not just try and go the neglect route and see what happens ya got nothing to lose" well about a week and a half later my hair is now starting to separate itself and im hoping eventually form into baby dreads, this is amazing and i am SUPER excited about this but that's also where the problem lies. I am trying to let my hair naturally form itself into dreads all while looking for a job i don't want to comb out all of my progress but i am losing hope and not sure what else to do so if anybody knows of something that i could wear to hide my messy hair but would still look acceptable and go with business attire that i could wear to job interviews that would be great.sorry if this was the wrong area to put this in btw and Thanks again :D
updated by @skyler2: 01/13/15 08:49:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea just tie em backofcourse u can also not try to hide it and just tell them straight up front that you are dreading and you hold spiritual beliefs that make u want to dread the natural way and tell them that means they will be messy but you are fine with covering them tying them back and doing stuff to be more professional and presentable without compromising the dreading processwhat sort of job are u looking fori worked in an it office fir awhile for my intervirwew i wore a big tam and tucked my beard dread into my shirti now wish i never bothered cause 1st day on the job i took off my tam and the president of the company walks by and just says wowthey loved my dreads and even though i had daily meetings with high power execs my dreads were never an issue and i was weven featured in theyre advertising campain materials..hahaso its up to u wether u feel u should hide it or just be proud and confident in who tou are and act like u dont have hair hair dont matter only skills and personality doi wouldnt even mention it really unless they doif they ask u why its a mess just smile and say im growing natural dreadlocksit will start a conversation and u can impress them with how much info u have on myths and truths like telling them dreads are cleaner then normal hair and healtheier etcbut if its not mentioned then it dont even matter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I take a glob of aloe vera (one of those 99% ones with a little vitamin e/c in it) and smooth it in my hands and run it back over my hair, works really well for me. it's conditioning as they say, so I don't do it too much, but it definitely is something I highly recommend to anyone with dreadlocks.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
o would not compromise and comb em out thoughi had secveral freinds do that to get a job or cause a custody case demanded it or for other reasons and in almost every case they combed em out and then didnt get the job or it didnt help em get what they wanted at allmost of the time if they try pushing u around that way they do it just to push u around and it wont affect your job possibilities in any way whsatsoever

--
Skyler2
@skyler2
14 years ago
11 posts

soaringeagle said:
yea just tie em back
ofcourse u can also not try to hide it and just tell them straight up front that you are dreading and you hold spiritual beliefs that make u want to dread the natural way and tell them that means they will be messy but you are fine with covering them tying them back and doing stuff to be more professional and presentable without compromising the dreading process

what sort of job are u looking for

i worked in an it office fir awhile for my intervirwew i wore a big tam and tucked my beard dread into my shirt
i now wish i never bothered cause 1st day on the job i took off my tam and the president of the company walks by and just says wow
they loved my dreads and even though i had daily meetings with high power execs my dreads were never an issue and i was weven featured in theyre advertising campain materials..haha

so its up to u wether u feel u should hide it or just be proud and confident in who tou are and act like u dont have hair hair dont matter only skills and personality do

i wouldnt even mention it really unless they do
if they ask u why its a mess just smile and say im growing natural dreadlocks
it will start a conversation and u can impress them with how much info u have on myths and truths like telling them dreads are cleaner then normal hair and healtheier etc

but if its not mentioned then it dont even matter
at this point id be taking any job i can get lol, but probably a job as an sales associate, i would rather not hide it and just let it be but i think between that and my beard it would look kinda crazy to them, and i would tie them back with a scarf or something (if there is any "manly scarfs lol" but i cant seem to get all my hair to tie, some of it just falls out. society is really frustrating because if i were to wear a beanie or a tam etc, because i am male it would probably be frowned upon and come off as lazy/unkempt to the person looking to hire, meanwhile my girlfriend who has her dreads by the neglect method was able to put on a nice outfit and put her dreads up into her tam and go to interviews and it didn't look sloppy at all..sorry if this is all over the place im writing this after a long day and being tired, thank you all for you're helpful comments
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
simple elastic hair bands that are covered in material or are woven from stretchy materials are in every pharmacy and grocery store or dollar storeget 1 pull it down around your neck pull the hair out then take the front slide it up and back slightlytry to get a color that matches or blends or complements your hair colorif your hairs long enough to double it up and tie it further back but itf its short then pushing it back only an inch or 2 from the hairlines fine

--
Kathleen1
@kathleen1
14 years ago
28 posts
what about if i have extremely short hair (look at my avatar). what exactly would work for me?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why need anything?maybe wear a tight scarf a few hiurs b4 so any that were sticking up flatten down?i dont think u got anything to worry bout

--
Skyler2
@skyler2
14 years ago
11 posts
on a complete side not, the "sectioning" that my hair is doing on its own..they are REALLY thin, much more thin then say the width of a pencil, when my hair eventually matures and locks are they going to look like rat tails?? or will they puff up quite a bit more?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form