Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Prejudice, Snap Judgements, and Dreadlocks

Laura May
@laura-may
14 years ago
2 posts
Do you ever feel people judge based on the fact you have dreadlocks? Are these snap judgements positive or negative? Do you feel people catagorize you becuase of your hairstyle?In such a progressive world, it is a shame that prejudice does occur. Yet, that is the truth of things. These questions are posed to you as a community. My hope is that they will answer questions that both I and other fellow dread-dreamers have.Since I was seventeen, I have wanted dreadlocks. My father would secretly point out college kids with dreads, calling them hippies. The word "hippie" was not used in a kind way. I didn't need to ask my father if I could dreadlocks, for I knew the answer. Hoping for better luck with mother, I asked her. A very firm negative followed.A close friend, Nikki, had a mother more open to knew styles. She told her daughter to sit on the idea. If she still wanted her hair dyed red, yellow, and blue in a month, she could do it. That approach had both wisdom and leniency. With long term investments like dreadlocks or tattoos, they should be given time to consider.Years have passed and I am now twenty-three years old. I have finished college, am married, have a child, and am three years sober. I, like so many, carry all the resposibilities and joys of being an independent adult. My father is much wiser and open minded about people's political affiliation. I feel as though I have sat on the idea of dreadlocks for long enough. Everything has been gathered to start my dreads: the right comb, the correct shampoo, a crochet needle, bands for seperating, and lots of research. One thing halts me.The fear of being misjudged. There are very philosophical questions concerning this. Too many to be posed just now. My guiding faith lets me know I am loved no matter my hairstyle. Still, a small part of me nags that to dreadlock my hair, is to be judged.By principle, I am going to dread my hair, regardless. Other's prejudice should not shape my personal decisions. So why pose the questions stated at the beginning? By sharing our experiences, I hope to encourage those, like me, that have once feared (or continue to fear) prejudice. Therefore, I pose these questions before you.Do you ever feel people judge based on the fact you have (or want) dreadlocks? Are these snap judgements positive or negative? Do you feel people catagorize you becuase of your hairstyle?
updated by @laura-may: 01/13/15 08:49:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1 u do not want the crochet needle throw that away that will ruin your dreadsbut yea i got alotta that at 1st mostly from family not much outside of my family actualyu almost all from my mom everyonre eklse was supportinge but my mom never was untill 15 years after i started dreading she finaly cam,e around

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
I absolutely agree with knottysleeves. People will judge you on far more than your hairstyle in your lifetime, it doesn't matter. Do you really want friends/ employers/ people in your life that will judge your worth by your hairstyle? Myself, never. Do what feels right for you always. :D One thing though, from the information on this site I hear that a crochet needle is not at all a beneficial way to start or maintain dreads, check out the dread methods page here before you start k? Much love!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no matter what u do someone will judge uif your christian u will be judged as judgemental if your not u will be judged as an evil sinnerif your male u will be judged as insensative if your female you will be judged as overemotionalif your gay your judged as being not normal if youir straight your close mindedif your amearican you think u tun the world if your french youir snobbyif your blond your dumbif yourboobs are big u are an attenhtion whoreif u got dreads your a dirty hippie if u shave your head your a racist or redneckif your black your poor and gheto if white rich and opressive if your a dirty hippie your on welfare and cant hold a job and steal to suport a pot habbitif u havbe a job your a corporate sell outdo i need to go on?whatever u do in life someone will judge youso let them judge you for doing what u enjoy doingdo something possitive with your life and let them judge u on thatif they judge a possitive as a negative then that is theyre own negativityhell if u marry the love of your life u will be judged for itif your strict with your kids u will be judged if your lienient and i=understanding u will be judgedwhy fear it? u cant escape itjust laugh about it usualy its just showing the ignorance of the judger

--
Laura May
@laura-may
14 years ago
2 posts
These are all fantastic points. I appreciate your responses. Truly, I hope more people continue to post.

Soaring Eagle, your completely right. No matter what, we will be judged for one thing, if not another. Your post inspiring and I hope other's find your words as comforting as I do.

As a parent of a (currently) 7 month old, I understand a parent's desire. It is a desire to do the best thing for their children. However, what a parent deems correct, is not always a question of right or wrong. Eventually, just as your folk came to accept your dreads, so too, shall mine. Afterall, as an adult, our choices are our's to make. As my child grows, I can use this as a lesson to teach my child.

Concerning the crochet needle, that was only to be used very sparringly. It was a tip off of one of the numerous video tutorials I've found. They advised it as a quick way to round out the dreadlock. However, take ever bit of advice with a grain of salt. I trust you both, over a youtube tutorial anyday. Thanks for the advice.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the hook does ectreme damage and rounding off the tip isnt a great idea eitherwhen u round off the tips they dont drain wwater out the ends and they take 5 times longer to drya dread that takes 6 hours when loose tipped will take 38 hours to dry when the tips crochettedand thats only if u just crochet the tipif u do the whi=ole dread they are way too skinny tight and stiff and they have a ton of broken hairs that need constant repairyoytubes all newbies telling other newbies how to make the same midstakes they just made

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form