Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Long loose hair problem.

Krissy
@krissy
14 years ago
5 posts
Hi all I'm new to the forums so not sure if I have put this question in the right place, Sorry if its in the wrong spot but hopefuly someone will be able to help me.I have searched all over the net for any help at all on my problem, and it has prob been answered in here somewhere but for the life of me I can't find any info on how to fix my loose hairs without using a crochet hook. It is not to noticable in my pic cause that one is fairly old and I dont have any recent ones to put up but I have really long loose hair all over the place. It is longer than my dreads since it isn't in dreading in with them. My dreads are around a year and a half old now and are rather tight, I havent done much with them other than palm rolling and tea tree oil to wash them with.I was thinking maybe I could cut the long hairs down to about an inch long so that they could dread up with my roots since they are to long now to dread in with the ends and my dreads are to tight for me to push them through with my fingers. I wanted some feed back on if this will be worth doing Since I couldn't find anything on the net for natural ways to fix the loose hair I thought I would ask before doing anything to them just incase it made the problem worse instead of fixing it.Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question and any help will be much appreciated.
updated by @krissy: 01/13/15 08:49:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dont do anything 1st off stop palm rollingand why are they so tight did u crochet or use waxif u leave them alone completely those loose hairs will either dread into a dread...or become a new dread..just dont mess with them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bene
@bene
14 years ago
35 posts
or you could TnR them and make new thinner dreads out of themthats what i sometimes do when i find loose hair that is long enough
Krissy
@krissy
14 years ago
5 posts
The growth since I had my dreads done is about 3-4 inches (could be longer I'm bad with lenghts) and is really tight the ends are still a bit fuzzy though but matted enough that I cant seperait the middle with a bit of fuzz and a few loops at the ends but my regrowth is so tight that the only loops I get are more like small bubbles rather than a huge loop. My hair has grown alot faster than it normaly did since putting the dreads in cause my ends were bleached so I can tell exactly how long they have gotten. I havent bleached my hair since. The only time I palm roll is when I get a really huge loop in the end that doesnt want to stop sticking out so I put some tea tree oil on it and palm roll just to get it to stay a bit closer to the dread and pick up the loose hairs to pull it back in.

The hair that is really long is all over and not really enough there to start a new dread and it flys around in the wind even if I have them tied back to make them look a bit neater when I take my kids to school. I dont want to sew them into the dread beside it cause I'm a bit scared it might start to look weaved rather than knoted thats why I thought about triming the long hair down a bit shorter so that it could tangle in with my roots.

I used a gel or wax or something that my sister in law gave me to use for the first week of having my dreads but I didnt like the feel of it and it made my hair look slimy and gross so I stoped using it on them after that. I use an apple sider vinigar rinse once a month to get out any fluff or other things that want to make a home in my hair that shouldnt be there and wash it with a herbal tea tree shampoo once a week, twice a week if its hot and I have been out swiming with my girls. I have dandruf so every 2-3 days I use a tea tree oil and water spray on my roots to stop my scalp from itching between washing (and to keep away any bugs my daughters brings home from school... yuck).

My oldest daughter just started year 1 so I dont want my dreads to look too fuzzy incase people pick on her on my account I dont mind the loops just all the loose hair over the place. God only knows my famliy give me hell over them I dont want her friends to do it to her at an age when she doesnt truely know whats going on with the world. She wants dreads too when she is older cause her aunt has them as well but hers are a few years old so they arent fluffy or have loose hair like I have but she also goes to a hairdresser where I have let mine grow the way they want.

My dreads are a learning thing so when my daughter is old enough to know that she really wants them I know what to do when she starts to freak out that they dont look right or they are taking to long to dread or any other question she has about them so I can help her with getting used to them. She helps me to wash my hair all the time its a great bonding experiance for us. I think she knows my dreads better than me lol, she even named one of them Brain cause it looped and bunched up and now is a tight twisted ball half way up dread.

Sorry for the long post hope that helps explain my situation a bit better.
Krissy
@krissy
14 years ago
5 posts
I understand that loose hair is going to always be around I have alot at my roots from seperaiting them Its just the hair that is hanging down the middle of my back and is twice as long as my dreads that is bothering me, it is hair that never dreaded when I had them put in and just kept growing. It just seems like it would be to long to weave into the dead without making it looking weaved and its not thick enough to make a new dread.I had my husband weave some of the long hair into the dread beside it a few months ago so that the loose hair was at the same lenght as my dreads and no longer looked out of place and didnt look weaved (at least i dont think it did i cant see the back of my head to well) but most of it just fell back out again, and cause of how long the loose bits are to weave all of it into the dread would take ages and i'm not to keen on sitting for hours lol. Not to mention my husband complains the whole time that he doesnt know what hes doing.I saw a few people with string wraps on the site just wondering if rather than weaving it would putting a bit of string close to the root but not so close that it will mess with my roots dreading tucking in the loose hairs would work? I tried doing this with a bead but most of my dreads are thick and I cant find beads wide enough to fit over them.
Krissy
@krissy
14 years ago
5 posts
Cool I'll try making a few new dreads then, I wasnt to sure if there was enough hair to make a new dread since most of mine are thicker than an austrailian 10 cent coin but I guess you dont know untill your try. It will be nice to have a dread I can fit a bead onto though if they do form into new dreads and I'll have alot more of them for my daughter to name lol.Thanks heaps for the help I'm glad I asked before doing something stupid and messing up my hair :)
Krissy
@krissy
14 years ago
5 posts
They are about a year and a half old now, I tried to twist and rip a few new dreads where the loose hair is kind of thick but they just fell out after a day or so. Maybe I just didnt do it right cause it is kind of hard to do the back of my head by myself.Where my husband works he gets to meet alot of people who have dreads so I got him to ask a few people with the same hair type as me how long it took their dreads to 'set' so that they didnt have loose hairs or look so fluffy. From the feed back hes got it looks like it will be around the 5 year mark that mine should start to look tight and not so messy.The regrowth from when I first had my dreads done is tight its just the ends that were bleached before I had them that is still fluffy and lots of long hair inbetween the dreads that didnt knot up when they formed. I'm not to bothered with the fluffy ends because it is slowly getting tighter, just the long hair that doesnt seem to want to dread with the rest.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form