Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks Forums

My TnR timeline - update at 25 months

Sissemor
@sissemor
6 years ago
54 posts

Thank you, Heather :-)

It could very well be baking soda that wasn't rinsed out. The green thing definitely mold, though, the smell was unmistakeable, and well, it was green! :-/ Yup, hard water here too.

Sometimes some cutting is a very good solution, as you have experienced also :-) I'm glad you don't have discomfort anymore - 3" is a lot of hair to be pulled on and hurt :-( None of mine were particularly painful at any point, and they're all rather small at the roots (all 68 or so).

updated by @sissemor: 07/22/15 06:33:17AM
Kass
@kass
6 years ago
33 posts
Ahhh! This really worries me. I get my hair wet every day and wash every 3 days or so with a Maylee's bar. Worst of all, my hair is dreading into super big clumps at the ends! I am really worried. I don't want to have moldy haiiiir! :(
Sissemor
@sissemor
6 years ago
54 posts

Do you live in a warm climate? Do you feel your hair dries properly during the day? I know my lumps were always still wet when I went to bed, even if I washed in the morning. Would it be possible for you to avoid getting it wet every day?

Kass
@kass
6 years ago
33 posts
The climate is warm at the moment. I live in Philadelphia, PA. My hair does dry pretty quickly... and I think I could avoid this if it gets to a certain point. Shower caps exist after all. Eep!
Sissemor
@sissemor
6 years ago
54 posts

Well, if you could use a cap to avoid getting it wet every day, that would probably be a good idea :-) I used to wash mine every day but stopped as soon as it started forming lumps. I think there are lots of things one can do to prevent mold, even if one does have lumpy dreads ;-)

taye
@taye
6 years ago
836 posts

I am so sorry that this happened to you. But i absolutely love your attitude about it!!!! I had two really big hard lump areas form in my hair. by the second year they had gone down a lot, and now they pretty much blend in with the rest of the dread, but not completely. I don't think it is an issue with the lumps that caused the mold. It was being damp all the time. Mold thrives in a damp environment.

My dreads are a medium thickness and have rounded tips, it takes my dreads about 4 hours to be bone dry. I wash once a week(sometimes twice). Sunday is wash day. I never ever blow dry.

The most important thing to do to keep mold out of dreads is to make sure they are dry before pulling them up, covering them up or going to bed. This is very very important. If you do this you won't have any issues with mold.

taye
@taye
6 years ago
836 posts
oh and I also wanted to let you know that i think your shorties are adorable!!!!
Sissemor
@sissemor
6 years ago
54 posts

Thanks, taye :-) I LOVE them :-)

So your lumps are not inflexible now? They dry as quickly as the rest?

My hair didn't even dry in 4 hours before I had dreads :-) And now it takes about 8-10 hours, I should think. The lumps, however, were a different story. They weren't even dry when I went to bed, if I washed in the morning. They formed super fast and then did not really change for 5 months. I could have waited for them to change, had they not been moldy :-)

Sissemor
@sissemor
5 years ago
54 posts

So it's been a while :-) My dreads have grown a lot and are doing great, no sign of moldy problems. All the fuzz is starting to form babies now. I've wrapped some, just for the colour splash which I love :-) One (front) i wrapped to make it congo because it was really thin at the roots, and this helped a lot.

Well, less talk, more photos :-)

Updo's:

updated by @sissemor: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Shannon2
@shannon2
3 years ago
14 posts
Wow!! They look gorgeous and I c believe how much length you gained in that time. I'd love to see an update!

/ 5

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form