Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need a bit of guidance.

DreadfulTravis
@dreadfultravis
14 years ago
44 posts
So, I've been dreaded for roughly 2 weeks now. I'm noticing some things and I was wondering what I should/could do about it.I notice that the middle of my dreads are looking great! However, when I get to the part closest to the scalp I see that it's pretty separated and not dreaded at all almost. Is this normal? Should I do something about it? Or should I just let it go and do it all on it's own. My main concern is that my dreads will separate.One other question I had was how do I go about getting the tips to dread up, they're pretty pointed at this point.Any words of wisdom are much appreciated.
updated by @dreadfultravis: 01/13/15 08:43:33PM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
That extra length at the scalp is needed for proper dread development. Don't mess with it! That length is needed so that you can form new knots as your hair grows. It also keeps your dreads from sticking straight up and being painfully tight! If your dreads separate, then it's just mother nature telling you that the sectioning is off a little. Just let it happen. When mine do this I wait until I have a number of inches of dreading (like 3-5) and then I snip one dread free from the other. Not all will recommend this, it's just what's worked for me.As for the tips, they will implode on themselves as time goes on. Most of mine have. One day they're nice and curly or straight and whispy, and then suddenly you notice a giant loop... and within a few days your dread has consumed most of that whispy end and pulled it up into the body. I have some ends right now that look like a ton of loops smooshed into each other; it's pretty nifty. I also have one dread that looped like that a number of times, but left this one tiny section of hair free... that section knotted up, and became a micro dread that still hangs from the end of the loopy section.The key to dreading is just to let nature take it's course and enjoy the ride. Rip dreads apart when you want to, and keep them clean. That's really your only part in this. The rest is all up to nature... and boy does she have one hell of an imagination when it comes to dreads!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the roots will take care of themselves they dread toewards the toots all they need is time but they shouldnt get too tight to the scalp so do nothingthe tips are best left undreadsed that helps theym dry much much quicker (an undreaded tip will help a dread dry in 6 hours thbat would take 38 if dreaded to the tip it allows water to drip out the end instead of being held in)the tips may or may not dread on theyre own but if they dont your better off and they look better too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
that's perfectly normal. If you want you could find yourself a wool sweater or anything made of wool and drape tat over your pillow while you sleep. I had like 3 or more inches of undreaded hair on some and that worked really well to speed their locking :)
DreadfulTravis
@dreadfultravis
14 years ago
44 posts
Thanks for all the help everyone it's very helpful. I have one last question that I forgot to mention. My dreads seems to be fairly flat at time, is that normal? haha. Sorry for all the questions, but thinks for help! :)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Don't apologize for asking questions! That's what were here for. You dreads will most likely round out over time but even if they don't it just adds some more character! Travis Langton said:
Thanks for all the help everyone it's very helpful. I have one last question that I forgot to mention. My dreads seems to be fairly flat at time, is that normal? haha. Sorry for all the questions, but thinks for help! :)
♦♣♠Jerαld♠♣♦
@jerld
14 years ago
4 posts
mine were like that at one time. they will round out over time as they get tighter :D Travis Langton said:
DreadfulTravis
@dreadfultravis
14 years ago
44 posts
All your answers have been very reassuring guys thanks. It's much appreciated. I was actually contemplating stopping them because I thought they were screwing up, but now I feel better about it. Thank you sooooooo much :):):)
DeafyJae
@deafyjae
14 years ago
19 posts
My dreads are doing the exact same thing and it would appear that you and I are both on the same time-line. I am on day 16. Just let it be. From all the forums and advice I have received or viewed, I learned that it is just the process. You aren't alone.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form