Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Total Newbie

Island Mamma
@island-mamma
10 years ago
530 posts
Back combing doesn't equal mature dreads sooner.It unravels and resections itself so whats fast about that?All methods take time and we all have time if we choose it.
updated by @island-mamma: 07/18/15 02:43:49PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
10 years ago
849 posts
I second that one I-mamma! Backcombing gives you the ILLUSION of dreads sooner, in reality you look like sideshow bob for a while, then they un-knot, then they re-knot and in a year or so you have semi-mature dreads and extra damaged hair.
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
10 years ago
87 posts
This post is deja vu. Much like mine ( http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/filipina-with-tnr-bb-dreads plus size pics included) except I didn't think about being plus size. I focused on a different concern about being the only filipino in the sea of filipinos having to deal with older filipinos bitch at me, hehehe.I think it is difficult to find an obvious plus size girl because they tend to do the whole extreme upward angle shot that hides the double chin, focuses on the eyes and hides the flub in general. But I know they exist, because I admit it. I'm a fabulous fatty. I'm 4'11" and a size 16/18, but I rock it well because of blessed proportioning and a happy attitude. I'll take pics on Saturday and you can see my slightly more defined baby dreads on my charming chubby self.Hmmm...as for shrinking, I think long hair shrinks more than short hair, so there shouldn't be that much shrinkage. In the beginning it's best to wear a tam anyway, so may not even notice it. And if it's really a huge concern, I would browse through member pics. There's lots of short hair.I think dreads would look awesome on you and if anything they would give additional confidence to being plus size in a skinny oriented world. I've already gotten comments that the texturing is great and my hair looks sassy. Can't wait to hear what comments you get. I know your dreads will be beautiful because you are :)Welcome and good luck on your journey!
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
10 years ago
87 posts
She's going to look like a spider head for sure if she backcombs, mehehe. I highly recommend tnr for smaller less puffy and less damaged dreads. ricky williams said:
if you do end up backcombing GO SLOW DONT RUSH and dont have 3 people helping lol backcombings not all that bad if you go slow and steady they wont take forever to lock up its just a cheap method but it does the job
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
10 years ago
751 posts
I think you will look beautiful with dreads :DI did mine with twist and rip and I recommend it. I had very little unraveling, and they started thin and got thicker. If you backcomb they'll be thick and poofy then slim down... Also it's less damaging then backcombing(though the least damaging is completely natural)They will mature around the same time so it's really up to your preference :)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
10 years ago
849 posts
You ARE Very Beautiful & Voluptuous Mz! :o) Dreads are lookin great and your advice was spot on! <3 MzElaineous said:
This post is deja vu. Much like mine ( http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/filipina-with-tnr-bb-dreads plus size pics included) except I didn't think about being plus size. I focused on a different concern about being the only filipino in the sea of filipinos having to deal with older filipinos bitch at me, hehehe.

I think it is difficult to find an obvious plus size girl because they tend to do the whole extreme upward angle shot that hides the double chin, focuses on the eyes and hides the flub in general. But I know they exist, because I admit it. I'm a fabulous fatty. I'm 4'11" and a size 16/18, but I rock it well because of blessed proportioning and a happy attitude. I'll take pics on Saturday and you can see my slightly more defined baby dreads on my charming chubby self.

Hmmm...as for shrinking, I think long hair shrinks more than short hair, so there shouldn't be that much shrinkage. In the beginning it's best to wear a tam anyway, so may not even notice it. And if it's really a huge concern, I would browse through member pics. There's lots of short hair.

I think dreads would look awesome on you and if anything they would give additional confidence to being plus size in a skinny oriented world. I've already gotten comments that the texturing is great and my hair looks sassy. Can't wait to hear what comments you get. I know your dreads will be beautiful because you are :)

Welcome and good luck on your journey!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,443 posts
id definately recomend t&r over backcombing too id only go natural myself but if u want a quick easy start that looks good and is low damage t&r is best

--
30 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
10 years ago
33 posts
Thanks to everyone who said I was pretty. :D And thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. I think I won't go natural, because as Soaring Eagle said, I just don't think it's me. But I know that whatever I do choose, I'll be happy.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
10 years ago
203 posts
I recommend TnR as well. I consider it the "semi-controlled" way to start going natural. As in my case, I TnR'd and now I just wash em and watch em evolve into something beautiful. I was of the mindset that I wanted uniform "perfect" dreads all the same size, no frizzies etc etc when I first joined this site. I am so happy with my decision now and whats going on with my crazy loopy frizzie locks :) Shayla Waychoff said:
Thanks to everyone who said I was pretty. :D And thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. I think I won't go natural, because as Soaring Eagle said, I just don't think it's me. But I know that whatever I do choose, I'll be happy.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form