Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Total Newbie

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
14 years ago
33 posts
Hey everyone. I've always loved dreads on people and always thought they were so cool to get them done! :) Well, my boyfriend has long black hair and I told him I really like the longer, dark dreads pulled back so he's considering doing it since he thought they were bad ass to begin with. Now he's got me into it!I need complete 100% honest answers here. No sugar coating please.I'll admit I'm over weight. I do hold it okay though, for also being only 5'3" but I haven't ever really seen a plus size person with dreads. Am I just not looking in the right place? Who knows. Anyways.. does anyone think it wouldn't work? I'll post a picture of me.

That's me before I cut my hair.. the sad part is.. I just got it cut like.. a week ago! :( So I know I'll most likely have to wait. But that's the second part of my question. My hair was cut into a sort-of Bob hair cut. It's about the nape of my neck in the back and it gradually gets longer in the front to almost my shoulders. Pretty short, I know. So how long before I could do dreadlocks? (I have absolutely nothing against the natural way of getting locks, but I just don't think it's for me. I'd try to use a different method - if that helps at all?)Has anyone done dreads with shorter hair or even my bob haircut? :) And how much do they shrink? Will I look like a spider-head after?Thanks so much guys. :)
updated by @shayla-waychoff: 02/14/15 09:33:53PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
aww honey look letting your hair lock up has nothing to do with what size or shape you are. I've known hundreds of dreads all different-big,small,medium. It does however require a certain amount of confidence from inside yourself to walk around with some seriously messy,crazy hair and eventually some locks that not everyone will like. But it's not about what others think it needs to be for YOU!You can stop combing/conditioning now and let your hair start to knot up at the length it's at. My husband started both of his sets with shorter hair than you have and his are sick. It's a different journey when u begin with short hair. The shrinkage isn't as severe.If like you said you don't want to go natural (although I can't imagine why?) you will probably have to wait a while till you have some more length to T & R. I personally would not recommend backcombing it can be very damaging.I think you should check out this site and our member timelines and really think about weather or not you are ready for this journey it really is more than just a hairstyle, even if you don't want it to be! Good Luck
Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
14 years ago
33 posts
Thanks so much. I don't have any lack of confidence, sorry if that's what it sounded like. The only problem I have with my weight is it could affect my health. I'm big and I think I'm beautiful. The natural thing.. how does that go? I mean, do I just not shampoo my hair at all? I don't really care what people think, but that only goes to some extent - if that makes any sense at all lol. Not combing my hair is fine - I've done that at times from pure laziness when I was younger. But I don't think I could just stop shampooing.. I don't wanna smell. :( Is that how the natural way is? I've also seen the natural way end up looking like wild, forest people lol. Not that that's bad, just not for me.
The person with these wonderful dreads said they only used the crochet needle. I love how they look - very tamed, no frizz and looking really nice. I don't like the wild look for dreads - and I don't think the look will like me very much. NaturalWomyn said:
aww honey look letting your hair lock up has nothing to do with what size or shape you are. I've known hundreds of dreads all different-big,small,medium. It does however require a certain amount of confidence from inside yourself to walk around with some seriously messy,crazy hair and eventually some locks that not everyone will like. But it's not about what others think it needs to be for YOU!
You can stop combing/conditioning now and let your hair start to knot up at the length it's at. My husband started both of his sets with shorter hair than you have and his are sick. It's a different journey when u begin with short hair. The shrinkage isn't as severe.If like you said you don't want to go natural (although I can't imagine why?) you will probably have to wait a while till you have some more length to T & R. I personally would not recommend backcombing it can be very damaging.
I think you should check out this site and our member timelines and really think about weather or not you are ready for this journey it really is more than just a hairstyle, even if you don't want it to be! Good Luck
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
you do wash natural dreads thatys about all u do is wash them and seperateand u do not want to crochet dreads. thats a reallllly bad ideau may think u want the boring look but when u dread u wuill find the 1 dread thats the leasst boring will be your favethe wild 1 the crazy 1 the 1 withe the most unique personalityso why not let each and every 1 be unique?if u are really dead set against natural then twist and rip when u later realize u wish u went natural at least u can let them naturalizae without all the damage done by crochetcrochet is just dsestructive..youd regret it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
14 years ago
33 posts
I really don't want any damage done to my hair, so thank you for telling me that. The natural way, is there any way to tame the frizz? That's really my biggest issue lol. And how you can't control the size.. I like small - medium thickness in dreads and don't want some big ol' clumpy mess on my head - I just don't think it'll be that nice on me. And if I choose to go natural, can I wear a hat while it's getting through it's "awkward" stage or will that hinder the dreading process? soaringeagle said:
you do wash natural dreads thatys about all u do is wash them and seperate

and u do not want to crochet dreads. thats a reallllly bad idea

u may think u want the boring look but when u dread u wuill find the 1 dread thats the leasst boring will be your fave
the wild 1 the crazy 1 the 1 withe the most unique personality
so why not let each and every 1 be unique?

if u are really dead set against natural then twist and rip when u later realize u wish u went natural at least u can let them naturalizae without all the damage done by crochet

crochet is just dsestructive..youd regret it
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the frizz u can tame with aloe but only when u really mustbetter to hjust accept itand hats especialy a wool tam will help the processu can control the soze by just seperating into the size u wanti think tho even tho naturals best u maybe happier going twist and rip just based on your personalityits not very damaging it looks neater and tidy(altho u will get frizz and a wild teen age stage with loops and lumps and craziness)it wil just not be so unpredictibleu can always start over natural if u change your mindbut take time talk to ppl look at pics ask questions dont rush into it you'll know the way to go when your ready to begini will tell u tho natural is a whole difdferent experience im not talking looks but how your affected and the meanning they have for udreading can be like a therapy for many aspects of youir life a chasnge within u thats reflected in the change upon youif your looking for a lifechanging experience not just a appearance changing hairstyle then naturals the way to go

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
hats are fine and YES you need to wash your hair! Dirty hair does NOT dread well! No matter what method you choose you will have messy frizzy crazy hair days if you can't handle that then you shouldn't have dreads. It really IS more than just a hairstyle. I think you should really read around the site, a lot of your questions will be answered if you do~FAQ and member created pages and guides would be helpful for you. Many Blessings
Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
14 years ago
33 posts
Thanks so much. I'll definately think about it a lot before making my decision. I want to make sure this is what I want, and isn't just some fad or something. Thanks for all your help. :) soaringeagle said:
the frizz u can tame with aloe but only when u really must
better to hjust accept it
and hats especialy a wool tam will help the process
u can control the soze by just seperating into the size u want

i think tho even tho naturals best u maybe happier going twist and rip just based on your personality
its not very damaging it looks neater and tidy
(altho u will get frizz and a wild teen age stage with loops and lumps and craziness)
it wil just not be so unpredictible
u can always start over natural if u change your mind

but take time talk to ppl look at pics ask questions dont rush into it you'll know the way to go when your ready to begin

i will tell u tho natural is a whole difdferent experience im not talking looks but how your affected and the meanning they have for u
dreading can be like a therapy for many aspects of youir life a chasnge within u thats reflected in the change upon you
if your looking for a lifechanging experience not just a appearance changing hairstyle then naturals the way to go
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts
I would backcomb personallyu will have mature locks sooner :) , no wax would be a advisable way to go, even if it takes longer to dread, the fact is that u will feel so much better for not choosing it! :),dont worry about the size, your very pretty.. the locks will show people who u are, without really having to tell them, u will stand out in the crowd, but for me,i like thatpeace
karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
dont use a crochet needle please...thats what i did...and it seemed cool, ya knnow, instant dreads but you either maintain and maintain and maintain and end up with thin tight dreads that hurt to sleep on or you give up.I regret not going natural, all you need is some cool hats and headbands and you will have pretty locs :)your super pretty too so theyll look good on you, and you can get dreads at any length :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form