Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Telling friends and family you want dreads

Jdwood
@jdwood
10 years ago
275 posts
Hi I have started the journey( I will put pics up soon) and I told most of my family and friends and I got almost all the same reaction..funny they almost all said "you are going to stop washing your hair???" One of my friends who is a hair stylist said "your are not going to get dreads just by not combing you are going to have one big clump of knots" I tried to explain but she is convinced it will not work ..ah well. My wife seems to be a bit worried but I am educating her on the subject and I am showing her all kinds of pics and timelines she always supports me on my crazy journeys she awesome. Well I'm glad to be here and I am looking forward to see what kind of dreads I am going to have and sharing the journey with all of you here is going to be fun.
updated by @jdwood: 01/13/15 08:42:07PM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
10 years ago
751 posts
really there is nothing you can say to make them understand. You'll just have to stick with it and let them adjust. When the see that your hair is clean and that you're happier with them they'll understand :)...and you REALLY need to show your hair stylist friend that you can have dread by not combing your hair...maybe she'll teach any loctitians he might know :P
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
10 years ago
145 posts
no no thats called a beaver tail silly :P lol SikTh_Man said:
There's no reason why you can't wash them. That hair stylist isn't exactly wrong, but she's not completely correct. If you completely neglect your hair, including washing, it can turn into what's called a 'Polish Plait'. This is what a rather epic plait looks like:

And for info on the plait, here's the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_plait

For health reasons, I'd avoid the plait (just read a little on the wiki page and you'll see what I'm talking about). If you want dreads, you should definitely wash your hair with either residue-free shampoo, Dr. Bonners, or a baking soda + water mixture. The idea that you can't wash dreads is a myth.
Jdwood
@jdwood
10 years ago
275 posts
SikTh_Man said:
There's no reason why you can't wash them. That hair stylist isn't exactly wrong, but she's not completely correct. If you completely neglect your hair, including washing, it can turn into what's called a 'Polish Plait'. This is what a rather epic plait looks like:

And for info on the plait, here's the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_plait

For health reasons, I'd avoid the plait (just read a little on the wiki page and you'll see what I'm talking about). If you want dreads, you should definitely wash your hair with either residue-free shampoo, Dr. Bonners, or a baking soda + water mixture. The idea that you can't wash dreads is a myth.
Yea I told them that I was going to wash my hair that it was a myth they know that now, I was pointing out the fact that most people around me believed that dreads locks form from not washing your hair. It's just funny.
Jdwood
@jdwood
10 years ago
275 posts
For the past month I am washing my hair every 2-3 days with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo, seems to be working my hair is all frisy. I am going to be on vacation soon and I am going to be camping up north. I am a freediver so I will be in the water (lacs) almost every day that should speed things up. SikTh_Man said:
Ah yeah, I see. You can always use ocean water as a good example of the fact that you can wash them. Once they understand that a true dreadlock is a coil of knotted hair and how hair seems to get tangled up and knotted after a swim in the ocean, they'll much easier understand that they can be washed and keep their form.

Oh, and it also helps that they understand that most shampoos are designed to clean and condition, which makes hair sleek and silky, as opposed to remove all debris (including naturally occurring oils from the scalp), which makes hair rough and grippy (for a lack of a better word).

Jdwood said:
Yea I told them that I was going to wash my hair that it was a myth they know that now, I was pointing out the fact that most people around me believed that dreads locks form from not washing your hair. It's just funny.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form