Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How Thin Can I Go?

Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts
So, its been about two years since i spent some 16 hours combing out some pretty disgusting waxed up dreads courtesy of dreadheadhq's methods.... I had pretty much given up on my dream of having dreads, however i am feeling the call again lately since reading this site and am thinking about taking the plunge again.I only have a few questions which i hope someone will be kind enough to answer for me...1. How thin can i make a dread realistically,2. Any problems associatied with a thinner dread?3. Am i right in assuming that if they are on the thinner side then the overall reduction in hair length would be slightly less..I have a pretty respectable corporate job so will have to create them by hand to start, not really to fussed about what people think at work, although i may have to try to avoid client meetings in the early stages.As well as the questions above any tips for TnR ing your own head would be appreciated as i am not going to have any help this time round....Thanks in advance.
updated by @rob3: 02/14/15 07:16:09AM
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
i think about 1/2 inch sq would be as small as you would want to go with sections and thats pushin it imho i would prefer 1x1 and making the sections smaller is still going to have just as much shrinkage as larger dreads however in my own exp thinner dreads tighten up and mature faster than fat ones but that is just my opinion making the sections for your dreads too small can result in the weight of the dread actulling pulling out hair at the root that can lead to loss and damage i would suggest starting in the back at the nape and working forward it will be easier in the long run...and its gonna take a long time doing it yourself especially if your hair is longgood luck
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh i disagreee u can go very thin 1/4 is finemine veing natural range from| to |----| average |-| to |--| the thinnest is 1 by 2 milimeters and flat thats actualy a congo of 2 combines!mist are 1/4 to 1/32 only a few of the bog ones are 1 inch i wouldnt go largesr then 1 inch1/4 inch is perfectly finelength loos migyht not make alotta diferencetoo thin could get weaker if over maintained

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
really a 1/4? huh most of mine are about a 1/2 some are smaller but not much (cause i was a lil afraid) id never go over an inch though cause that could get huge but i mean if you make them as tiny as possible and its too small you can always congoim actually glad you said that SE cause ive got some quite small and i kinda like it that way i definately trust your opinion i think alot of the problems with breakage on thinner dreads is probably due to maintenance soaringeagle said:
oh i disagreee u can go very thin 1/4 is fine
mine veing natural range from
| to |----| average |-| to |--| the thinnest is 1 by 2 milimeters and flat thats actualy a congo of 2 combines!

mist are 1/4 to 1/32 only a few of the bog ones are 1 inch i wouldnt go largesr then 1 inch
1/4 inch is perfectly fine

length loos migyht not make alotta diference

too thin could get weaker if over maintained
Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts
Thanks for the advice everyone, im pleased that thin ones are possible.... I know a lot of peopl e like fat dreads, i just happen to like thin ones, personal preference i guess...Not much to worry about with over maintenance, im far too lazy for all that palm rolling malarky. lol soaringeagle said:
oh i disagreee u can go very thin 1/4 is fine
mine veing natural range from
| to |----| average |-| to |--| the thinnest is 1 by 2 milimeters and flat thats actualy a congo of 2 combines!

mist are 1/4 to 1/32 only a few of the bog ones are 1 inch i wouldnt go largesr then 1 inch
1/4 inch is perfectly fine

length loos migyht not make alotta diference

too thin could get weaker if over maintained
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i was just looking thru mine and got alot (b4 lertting em congo) that are 1/8 inch abouti will say thisif u go with really thin dreads..when thewy get long..its harder to keep ontop of em seperating 200 dreads is a painkeeping 200 dreads from tangling in everyuthing is a painkeeping track of where every 1 of 200 dreads is a pain (ecverytime u shut the car door your probly gonna have a dreD stuck in the doot)instead of size id go by number20-30 are relatively big dreads30-40 average50-60 getting thin6-80 pretty skinnyover 100 id call microdreads the sisterlocks can be between 400-800 evenu can go as thin as u wantbut if u have too many dreads u will constantly be tangled up in em and frustrated with trying to keep em under controlif u like thin ifd stay around 60-80

--
Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts
60-80 sounds like a plan to me.... thanks for the practical advice too, as living with them on a day to day basis is important factor... soaringeagle said:
if u like thin ifd stay around 60-80
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
lets see what your hair looks like to start

--
Rob3
@rob3
14 years ago
14 posts