Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread related concerns rant (well sort of)

Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
ok im not being an asshole really im not and this is not directed at any individual so please stop being paranoid.im going to take it upon myself to answer most of the dread related questions that seem to be going around lately! ok dreads should be a peaceful relaxing experience so if your a wreck over your dreads your doing it wrong :P ok they are maintenance free (just about) so if your spending more than 10 mins a week on em somethin aint right. all this loose hair and roots and other stuff ALL NORMAL how do u fix it ?you dont its maintenance free remember....no hair is TOO SHORT to start dreading all hair dreads watever length dont matter! Wax is never usefull, most products related to hair are not usefull and are unnecessary! a braid will not begat a dreadlock. dreads take patience wether u backcomb,go all out neglect,t&r dosnt matter it takes time! your dreading hair will not look like the guy you saw last weekend at a festivals 5 yr old dreads in the matter of a week it took him 5 yrs to get to that why should u get it in a week? (im not saying it takes years to dread) i mean u can make your dreads look tidy ok but you cant expect it to look mature in a day dreads are not for everyone im not trying to discourage anyone but hey if you dont have the patience maybe its just not your time....and again im not saying the patience for natty dreads im saying the patience for any dreads. none of the methods out there will give u insta dreads!please folks embrace this expierence it will teach you sooooooooo much including how to be patient understanding and kind...its a natural expierence not something that u need a valium to deal with.unless u got some serious scalp issues almost anything your dreading hair does is normal relax itll be ok..i feel so bad for many of the people here worrying about all these tiny lil things i just cant imagine how awful some of you must feel over some hair its just madness i say let you hair dread and invest all that effort worrying into idk cleaning up your neighbourhood pretty soon youll forget your hair and have done the world a favour all at the same time :)
updated by @heather-gamble: 02/14/15 08:05:56AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
can i hug u for this?nah kiss ya thats what it desserveslove it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Here, here! You are a marvel Heather!
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
well im just glad nobody got pissed at me :) i mean i dig that people gotta ask questions to learn and thats cool you found this site welcome....but im gonna assume that 90% of people dont jump in and say today outta the blue i wanna have dreadlocks and attempt to start .....so i think that most people are aware that dreads are nothing more than matted hair that being said wat in the world is easier than either letting your hair matte up or matting it up and letting it go? i mean so many people worrying and for wat?i think we need to have a featured timeline thing under facts or better yet something u gotta read when ya sign up that shows all kinds of dreads from day 1 to year 20 and really explain to folks that a mature dread is not made it is grown ( i dont care how u started it) i really think people see someone with mature dreads and think ok i want dreads like that but really just dont grab onto the fact that it doesnt happen overnight.... you know im readin all the time well "I" want my dreads like this so im going to do this to make them that way well ya know if that aint wat your dread wants to do it dont matter wat you do to it...you might want skinny dreads and do everything to keep em that way and they still get fat ya dig...i mean you should see my hair matted knot chunks everywhere loose hair roots, undreaded hair underneath i couldnt imagine worrying about all that...but i know from exp itll work in the end...oh well i appriciate you guys agreeing with me and i hope i didnt piss anyone off i just wish there were some way to let everyone know from the get go so they didnt seem so frantic all the time
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
touche i really think it boils down to the johnny clean mentality and the utter crap hes made people believe Knottysleeves said:
Great post and I totally agree. Dreads are supposed to be stress-free and low maintenance... not the high-stress freakout and daily fussing that most people think of (thanks to DHHQ and their product propaganda all over the internet).
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
write up a "what every beginner should know about dreadlocks" page if you know html great format it if not send to me in a message ill format and make a page and add it to the buttons and to the front page welcome center box (top center text box )

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
i have felt waxy dreads and yeah i hear ya its freakin gross..i have never waxed and yeah i started my first set many years ago for the same sorta reason sick of spending retarded amounts of time molding my hair into a societal norm so i quit and i did try the dread head shampoo once cause my friend ordered 2 cases for his shop and never sold it so i wound up with it and it wasn't very good i added all sorts of shit to it and after finding out wat it cost i was appalled i cant believe people spend that much money on stuff they dont need the mind reels Knottysleeves said:
Part of the reason I started my first set was because I was sick of styling my hair every morning and spending so much time fussing with it.

But I did the Knottyboy & DHHQ routine with wax (this was 10 years ago, I didn't know any better) and ended up spending MORE hours every week doing the waxing and palmrolling and rubberbanding and trying to find ways to get them to "stay together" (like I said, I was ignorant in those days)! Plus all the time spent washing waxy pillowcases, picking fluff and cat hairs off the waxed dreads, experimenting with ways to keep my waxy dreads out of my face because they felt so sticky, etc.
jim
@jim
14 years ago
40 posts
i concur.a guy who so badly wanted dreads that looked like mine gave it up in a month.then he started blaming me for not giving him good advice and helping him making them look nice.i kind of said what you just said - just like daniel who helped me out told me. time, time, time, don't put stuff in your hair, time.
Davey
@davey
14 years ago
22 posts
you can start dreads from braids though, i know someone who started a set that way and they look great. she started them 5 of so years ago as well so they've held up, but she didn't just braid'em and leave'em; once braided she said she would rub the outside of them to make them loosen and the lose hairs would rub together and form knots, it's pretty weird but i think thats why they never looked braidy, and it's an interesting method of doing it i thinkshe was also the first person to tell me not to put shit in my hair cause i had wax and was using to much knotty boy gel so it was flaking everywhere. i wish i knew her well enough to get a picture with out looking like a creep lol
Atom
@atom
14 years ago
124 posts
http://m.wikihow.com/Dreadlock-Any-Hair-Type-Without-Products . << this is the only thing I've seen with dreads and braids. Usually it's one or the other..

Knottysleeves said:
Sounds really neat, Davey. I haven't heard of that before. I'd love to see pics of those and how they developed! Sounds like a lot of work to loosen them up, though.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form