Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

1 and a half month old dreads and water

David2
@david2
14 years ago
7 posts
So I have had my dreads for a month and a half... I have not washed them. I live in Florida so it is very hot and important to find ways to cool off. I haven't been to the beach or anything, trying to keep my hair dry. My backcombed dreads came undone so now I am going natural. I am suppose to go to a water park. So long story short, will my hair be okay in the water? Could I or should I wear a bandanna or something to protect them? Sorry it might seem like a dumb question and I am sure I am just worrying too much! Thanks guys, any advice helps!!!
updated by @david2: 02/14/15 10:16:41AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wash them!! geez u should be washing them once twice 3 times a week who told u not to wash (sorrty let me read the rest)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u should have been washing all along not worrying not backcombung just washing

--
David2
@david2
14 years ago
7 posts
Thanks for the advice!!! Thank god! I have been wanting to wash my hair I was just worried that it would stop the process or make it dread slower. So I can wash with cold water and baking soda right?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
your hair dreads most right after washing and when its clean yea baking soda will be best

--
David2
@david2
14 years ago
7 posts
Thanks so much again! You seriously are a life saver and have been saving a lot of peoples hair. One more question sorry, I am sure you get sick of them! So after I rinse my my hair should I just let it air dry and not brush it or anything?
David2
@david2
14 years ago
7 posts
Thanks for the good advice! What a relief seriously you guys know what you're talking about. With all the rumors out there you never know what to believe anymore. Once I saw Soaring Eagles message I went and washed right away and boy does my whole head feel better! LOLAgain thanks for the advice and I will come to you guys if I have anymore questions! =-) Knottysleeves said:
Yeah, you definitely SHOULD be washing your hair. Hair knots up best when it's clean. It's a myth that you're supposed to wait weeks after backcombing... I have no idea how that rumour got started, but it's totally false!

After washing, just wrap your head up in a towel like normal and then air dry. You can also squeeze the baby dreads one at a time in your towel, it'll help get the water out and reinforce the sectioning.

Also, it's normal for some or all of the backcombing to unravel. Backcombing is just a way to force your hair into sections and start some knots... it doesn't "make" dreads overnight. Only time makes dreads. Your sections will unravel, knot up, unravel a bit again and re-knot, etc. That's just how dreads mature.

Get your hair wet, have a great time at the waterpark, and live your life as normal... your dreads will still happen. :-)
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I am so happy you found usWelcome aboard David :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
you haven't washed in a month and a half?? O.O ...well you definitely have will power :)if you can go that long, then wash once a week...your hair is short so 1 cup of water with 1tbsp of baking soda. soak 10 minutes then rinse with water. Then 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water and soak for 3 minutes then rinse with water again.If it's not enough then up to 2 cups of water but keep the ratio :)
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
chile wash your head! goodness how many people out there arent washin their shit? seems like all sorts of folks ask this and the answer is if its dirty wash it! youll be fine now go scrub that stuff :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form