Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Took em out

Brittany (Kenji) Babin
@brittany-kenji-babin
14 years ago
11 posts
Well I started out my dreads the knotty boy way and then when i realized how big my friend was making them i had her stop and i took em out and started again the next day, again, the knotty boy way. that was 2 weeks ago and since reading about all the damage i have done to my hair i took them out too. so, i have my hair (or at least whats left of it) pretty much brushed out and ready for dreads. i was thinking about going to with the twist and rip method. any tips?
updated by @brittany-kenji-babin: 01/13/15 08:41:42PM
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
wow i wouldnt have taken them out! i wouldnt t&r at this point just leave it alone your hair has been through enough with all that combing out stuff..itll dread on its own
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
id go a couple weeks natural at least give your dreads rime to recover u might just decide natural is the way to gothen in 2-3 weeks if u want then t&rlets see how you kook now>.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
yea i agree, give it 2 or 3 weeks natural, only wash your hair...... and by then you might just find some nice little dreads starting to form ...... natural is the best way anyways............ well good luck soaringeagle said:
id go a couple weeks natural at least give your dreads rime to recover u might just decide natural is the way to go
then in 2-3 weeks if u want then t&r
lets see how you kook now>.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
If you don't really care about specific sized sections, save your energy and just go with patience.Otherwise, using twist and rip or backcombing to begin your dreadlocks only produces specific sized sections. Plus they go through a time period where they first get worse by unraveling partially. Then start to get better.If you do start your dreadlocks with twist and rip. They will start out really thin and gradually get thicker. My dreadlocks were started with twist and rip. Several months after starting my dreadlocks are still getting thicker. Granted my dreadlocks are really starting to shrink also.The real advantage for going with patience/neglect vs. twist and rip or back combing is the fact that your hair doesn't need to go through a reversal/rearranging period of time. You really don't have to do anything other than wash your hair on a regular basis w/o conditioner, and maybe pull sections away from each other.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I'm I the oddball when it comes to TnR because it seems every person has had theirs come out and mine havn't. I am 2 days past my two months now and I have SOLID locking going on at the roots and on down.....I'm starting to feel a bit weieded out that I am not going through the same experiences that it seems most went through. Like I did something wrong? But not meaning to jack your thread here, I would just go natural, it seems your hair has been through a lot lately and it would be best to let time slip away and let nature take its course. I would have gone this route but my work would have given me issues I believe. GoldenEagle said:
If you don't really care about specific sized sections, save your energy and just go with patience.

Otherwise, using twist and rip or backcombing to begin your dreadlocks only produces specific sized sections. Plus they go through a time period where they first get worse by unraveling partially. Then start to get better.

If you do start your dreadlocks with twist and rip. They will start out really thin and gradually get thicker. My dreadlocks were started with twist and rip. Several months after starting my dreadlocks are still getting thicker. Granted my dreadlocks are really starting to shrink also.

The real advantage for going with patience/neglect vs. twist and rip or back combing is the fact that your hair doesn't need to go through a reversal/rearranging period of time. You really don't have to do anything other than wash your hair on a regular basis w/o conditioner, and maybe pull sections away from each other.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form