Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Any tips?

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
How is your friend planning on doing your dreads?You could ask her to do just twist or two strand twists. Make sure she doesn't use any products, waxes, glues, tools like needle and hooks and doesn't interlock. Just twists and if you want a product, 100% pure aloe vera gel sold at health food stores or straight from the plant. She shouldn't be offended or anything by that, you're simply stating your preference.
updated by @opaulao: 07/13/15 05:20:06PM
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
yeah i wouldnt use the extensions...just have her get em started for you...and i know people who have ysed the afro kinky and kaneklon or watever its called with decent looking results but i would still just use your own hair itll gro eventually good luck
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
Are you getting sisterlocs? or just smaller traditional locs? My best friend does extensions and she uses Afro kinky hair to make the extensions. However, to be honest...I never quite understood growing locs and adding extensions. I mean you go natural to avoid adding anything on. I do understand you needing or wanting a more professional groomed maintained look to your locs. Maybe you should go back and do a little more research.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
she said she wasn't going to use the extensions.
karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
Hi :)I got my locks made with a crochet hook by a wonderful friend, he is great and I felt like it was the right idea at the time but since then Ive regretted not growing my own locks.If you are looking for a short term hairstyle I would say go fer it with the hairdresser, im sure they will look great but if your looking for dreads that will last and wont need lots of maintenance id say see how you do over a few weeks with a wooly tam and some ocean swimming.Either way, they are your locks and your path and im sure you will find support and good advice here no matter what you choose.Looking forward to seeing your lovely locks :)Karen
Mary
@mary
14 years ago
140 posts
Hello All,Thank you for your feedback and concern. As of today I have dreadlocks, it took three hours (stylist was going between heads) and a jar of organic lock gel and a comb but the stylist completed successfully and I am glad with the results. She told me that she used to have locks for twelve years and for the first month do not do ANYTHING (washing, swimming, oiling scalp) For the first month. Then I will return to her in a month for a cleaning and some re-twisting.

updated by @mary: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
yea dont get mad when i say this but i dont think she is too good for dreads,,,,, not putting down your family friend or your hair. but first do you know anything about this "organic lock gel" and for her to tell you not to wash for a month, well she dont know much, thats gross lol, and hair/dreads are post to be clean, and to tell you dont touch it for a month then come back to me, idk seems like they just want you to pay for something you can do your self..... wash your hair...... as we all though she is not a good dreader so to speak.......... MJ said:
Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback and concern. As of today I have dreadlocks, it took three hours (stylist was going between heads) and a jar of organic lock gel and a comb but the stylist completed successfully and I am glad with the results. She told me that she used to have locks for twelve years and for the first month do not do ANYTHING (washing, swimming, oiling scalp) For the first month. Then I will return to her in a month for a cleaning and some re-twisting.

updated by @neil-coe: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I would be DYING if I couldn't wash my hair for a month!! eek! It's probably going to be itchy, possibly scabby and really hard to deal with. I would definitely wash your hair as soon as you feel you need to. Dirty hair doesn't lock well. Someone else JUST posted about the same situation. You should really read this~ http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/itchy-and-scabby-scalp-help?commentId=3754945%3AComment%3A164659#axzz0uvq3UZ7L
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Seriously all that you need to do now. Is just keep them wash your hair on a regular basis and pull your dreadlocks away from each other.The retwisting isn't needed at all. It is only mentioned because it gives the salon another customer that will continue to return.
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
Funny how "uniform" dreads meant "professional look" for you but you seem totally fine with not washing your hair for 1 MONTH!! Doesnt that contradict the whole professional or even civilized look??Brother, you need to find out what was in that locking gel..I dnt care how organic she said it so...I dont care if it was made from the navel lint of mother earth herself..find out wats in it and wash it out...you got such nice texture for dreads that you could have had it for free...Wash them..separate them...forget about them...Peace:)

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form