Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

experiment gone wrong?

Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
Hi, I am new to this site and to dreads as well and I have done all the research for matinence so I think Im set there but I have a possible problem. I did an experimental dread yesterday using the twist and rip method and then I went to bed. I woke up and about an inch and a half of my root is unkotted/undreaded. Should I worry or is this supposed to happen? I read the faq but I wasnt too sure if it answered what I wanted.Thank you in advance and I cant wait to try out dreads
updated by @joe-muir: 02/15/15 12:33:08PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
yes it's normal. Most dreads that are created with a method come unraveled at some point. Once you t & r you should just leave your hair alone and let it do what it wants. It will most likely un-knot and then re-knot again in it's own way. Overly messing with it will only cause damage and wasted time. Read around the site a bit there's loads of good info here. Good Luck!
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
Well thank you, Im glad to hear that. It took me an hour to do that. My hair is about 13" and I just did it on the inside to hide it if I screwed. I can just imagine how long it would take to do the longer parts. do you recommend sectioning off or just winging it?
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i would let your hair section naturally IMHO. Forced sections tend to look funny and sometimes show lots of scalp. If you let your hair show you where the natural sections should be it will look better. I am partial to natural dreadlocks myself, so you could always just leave your hair alone, but if you want to use a method other than neglect, t & r is the way to go. Just don't do it too tight or they end up looking more like braids than dreads. Don't brush it for a while then you should be able to see where the knots want to form and t & r in those sections. Rip apart if the sections get too big. Joe muir said:
Well thank you, Im glad to hear that. It took me an hour to do that. My hair is about 13" and I just did it on the inside to hide it if I screwed. I can just imagine how long it would take to do the longer parts. do you recommend sectioning off or just winging it?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
how thick is the root section of the 1 u made alotta ppl make em way too thick pulling a wide area of roots into a thin dread then when the dread thickens up to 3 times as thick as they expected they panic,the root section not the dread body should be about the size u wantand i wouldnt section either but would try to keep the roots from criss crossing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
It really isnt too big. Id say about 3/4 of an inch wide, maybe smaller. I just did another dread on the other side and it looks decent for now. I just hate the ends. they wont dread but thats to be expected
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
yup that's pretty normal :)I started mine with twist and rip and it's been over a month and a half and my roots have already started dreading nicely..but in the beginning there was about 2-3 inches of straight hair...the roots and tips are usually the last to dread anyways :)
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
thanks paula. Now for the ends did you cut them, roll them, or let tham be? I heard just letting them be lets them dry faster but I have curly edges to my hair and I have an OCD to keep them straight. oh and one last thing, how long did it take you? I just did my second one and it was another hour
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
you're gonna have to let some of that OCD go! Don't cut the ends it looks pretty funny in my opinion! If they want to blunt themselves eventually they will if not they'll stay wispy and dry faster. My husbands tips naturally blunted on their own after a few years but everybody's different. I think curly ends look really cool!
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
alrighty then. I will. Thanks everyone
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form