Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello & Can I get some advice?

peacelovinmama
@peacelovinmama
14 years ago
30 posts
Hi all! So I am BRAND NEW!!! I have read through many of your posts already - and I feel like I kind of know some of you. My hair is about 30" long...and super fine. I did some backcombing last weekend - NO WAX. I palm rolled a tiny bit, too. I think I spent about 6 hours on my whole head - so not much time really - considering my length. I have elastics in at the roots (which keep breaking). I am going to be completely natural from this point forward (no more comb). I have washed once. I have pretty tangled (from the comb) hair at the ends - maybe halfway up. From root to halfway down - I am pretty straight and not dreaded. I am content to leave well enough alone from here on out. I am just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for me.Should I try to undo everything and start naturally? I am not sure how it would go - as I am really tangled at the ends.Can I just keep going from here? I really love what I have so far. Plenty frizzy and unkept looking right now...but that is fine with me.I am so glad that I did not wax....my gut feeling was so right.Some background...my hair will dread into one BIG congo (appearntly - that is what it is called) after about 2 weeks of washing, no brush, no comb, no seperating. I typically wash (prior to dreading) about 2 times/week. I rarely brush/comb. Maybe 2-3/month. I have always super conditioned, though. Up to about 3 days before I backcombed - serious conditioner - natural - but heavy amounts.I guess the biggest thing for me is this - I am certain about dreading - I have known for years that I would eventually. I just want to make sure that I did not begin wrong - and I do not want to regret it later.Some Pics!

Peace to Everyone!
updated by @peacelovinmama: 02/14/15 06:18:07AM
Emily
@emily
14 years ago
203 posts
I say ditch the rubber bands and seperate as you see fit :) theyll turn out great! and you should try the baking soda washand welcome to the site :)
peacelovinmama
@peacelovinmama
14 years ago
30 posts
I totally will! The baking soda sounds perfect right about now. I was thinking I should get rid of the bands - just thought they might fall out (knots - not hair...hahaha). I feel like my hair is going from bottom to top with dread instead of top to bottom.... guess that is what happens with fine/backcombed hair.... Emily said:
I say ditch the rubber bands and seperate as you see fit :) theyll turn out great! and you should try the baking soda wash

and welcome to the site :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it tends to dread towards the roots wow they will look amazing just a tip expect massive length loss extra long extra fine hair will shrink like crazy u might even be amazed that 30 inches of hair can shrink to 13..or..who knows maybe less.. but once it stops shrinking it will grow and growthe bands do u no good lose em and if u can a clarifying shampoo will remove built up conditioners

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
umm how many do u have sections look big they will make pretty thick dreads

--
peacelovinmama
@peacelovinmama
14 years ago
30 posts
I have 21 now. I think most of them seem okay i thickness - but a few seem on the big side to me. I am not sure what to expect though. Suggestions? Or just leave alone. I think 5 more bands have busted since last post - so I am just letting them break and not replacing now. SO EXCITED BOUT MY KNOTS!!! I am making some big life changes right now - and these babies are going to walk that new path with me! Feels like we (my dreads and I) are long lost friends that are finally being reunited (Im a dork....I know!!!).Thanks for the quick reply....your dreads are completely phenomenal!!!!!!! soaringeagle said:
umm how many do u have sections look big they will make pretty thick dreads
peacelovinmama
@peacelovinmama
14 years ago
30 posts
I am happy to loose some length to gain some dreadies! 30 to 13 will be shocking! Looking forward to this.... soaringeagle said:
it tends to dread towards the roots wow they will look amazing just a tip expect massive length loss extra long extra fine hair will shrink like crazy u might even be amazed that 30 inches of hair can shrink to 13..or..who knows maybe less.. but once it stops shrinking it will grow and grow
the bands do u no good lose em and if u can a clarifying shampoo will remove built up conditioners
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
21 will be pretty thick they will thicken up to about the root section size

--
peacelovinmama
@peacelovinmama
14 years ago
30 posts
So - should I try to seperate some of the bigguns? It will be a process - but I am not hoping for HUGE dreadies....unless they want to be, I guess. It is pretty fine...like all pulled back into a pony right now I am at about an inch...and that is with some knottiness in there...usually I would be around .5-.75 inch pony without dreads.I think I am going ot do baking soda tomorrow night...need to get some. soaringeagle said:
21 will be pretty thick they will thicken up to about the root section size
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well its up to u just judge by the root area and see idf theyd be to thick and when dreaded your pony will be 4-6 at a guess..kol

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form