Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

reactions/responses

Kristin Karam-Plum
@kristin-karam-plum
14 years ago
4 posts
Just curious about others' experiences when they first started/got dreads: How did people react/respond to you? I work with the public. I manage a locally-owned gas station/deli/convenience store. I have been there 8 years, so the customers (who are fantastic), feel they know me. I expected some negativity. No problem. But I have found that most people genuinely like it & older people are really curious about how the whole process works! The bit of negative feedback has been from "rednecks"~and I have so far refrained from offering them my opinion of their mullets! ;p
updated by @kristin-karam-plum: 02/14/15 07:50:49AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
haha nicely done :)alot of omg what did you do to your hair?! (makes sense at the time tho)and crazy reactions, mom said (still says that to :P )however alot of people became cool with it as they matured, i agree you get alot of curiosity from some older people, not all of it disgust or terrible reactions,Id say the coolest feeling is when someone genuinely ask you about your locks and says they like/respect them.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ive always got almosat 100% possitive responcxes only 1% negative and i just laugh at em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
well mine are just starting a month like 5 weeks or so and havent said i was starting dreads, just going to wait till they notice, lol, but i was over my dads house the other day and was about to leave and he said "why dont you brush your hair, no scents in walking around all messy looking" i just laugh and said "i havent brushed my hair in like 4 weeks" and walked out lol, and my girlfriend still says she is unsure about, says she dont think ill look good in them lol but whatever
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I've had a little teasing from some people at work, all friendly and usually followed by serious "so how do you do it" questions. I have had people come up to me randomly and tell me they love my hair. A black girl that works at a gas station I stop in every day before work is obsessed with my hair. Which is strange to me because I remember reading similiar posts like this and it seems like most people got a lot of bad reactions from African Americans, and it seems like they are taking to me more than other ethnicities. My family loves them, my mom tried TnR'ing a couple but she couldn't get it right :) Its funny walking in Walmart now and seeing people look at me funny, instead of the other way around. I'm still waiting for some sort of negative comments
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
hahaahahahha dude same here i love going to wal mart and jus walking around for the hell of it jus so people can see my locs Jake Holland said:
I've had a little teasing from some people at work, all friendly and usually followed by serious "so how do you do it" questions. I have had people come up to me randomly and tell me they love my hair. A black girl that works at a gas station I stop in every day before work is obsessed with my hair. Which is strange to me because I remember reading similiar posts like this and it seems like most people got a lot of bad reactions from African Americans, and it seems like they are taking to me more than other ethnicities. My family loves them, my mom tried TnR'ing a couple but she couldn't get it right :) Its funny walking in Walmart now and seeing people look at me funny, instead of the other way around. I'm still waiting for some sort of negative comments
Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
14 years ago
66 posts
When I told people I was going to go for the dready look I got all the usual 'so you're not going to wash your hair then?' and 'you're just ruining your hair', but once I got them, everyones reactions changed.Now when I'm out and about people actually tell me how much they love my hair. My sister, who is very all about 'what the current trend is', has now been thinking about going dready because she loves them so much.
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
here in southend where i live there is amssive dread community so when i first got dreads instead of most people saying negative this or ansking question people said this more like "Welcome brother", "Enjoy the ride" stuff like that.
Kristin Karam-Plum
@kristin-karam-plum
14 years ago
4 posts
It feels like an opportunity to educate people! People who know me were not surprised, though my mother was horrified~I have nappy, crazy thick hair anyway & she always wanted me to straightened, smooth, etc. (guess it reminded her of my dad, who is Arab~you would be appalled at the torture my hair was subjected to as a child~and I must admit, as an adult~til now)! I think the responses I have experienced are so varied partly due to geography. I live in the FAR Eastern Panhandle of WV~20 mins from MD one way, 20 Mins from VA the other. I am only 40 mins from Baltimore & Washington DC~so it is an eclectic bunch of people here... people from the city~living here, working there. Large groups of people relocated here because of huge corporations moving in from the Northeast. People like myself, that just stumbled in for some random reason. People of ALL ethnicities. People who are from here originally~they are the few negatives. It's almost like doing a sociological study! I find it fascinating...
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
OH like the Native American Indaians??? cause i like your locs, lol ha ha ha Kristin Karam-Plum said:
It feels like an opportunity to educate people! People who know me were not surprised, though my mother was horrified~I have nappy, crazy thick hair anyway & she always wanted me to straightened, smooth, etc. (guess it reminded her of my dad, who is Arab~you would be appalled at the torture my hair was subjected to as a child~and I must admit, as an adult~til now)! I think the responses I have experienced are so varied partly due to geography. I live in the FAR Eastern Panhandle of WV~20 mins from MD one way, 20 Mins from VA the other. I am only 40 mins from Baltimore & Washington DC~so it is an eclectic bunch of people here... people from the city~living here, working there. Large groups of people relocated here because of huge corporations moving in from the Northeast. People like myself, that just stumbled in for some random reason. People of ALL ethnicities. People who are from here originally~they are the few negatives. It's almost like doing a sociological study! I find it fascinating...
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form