Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

help needed

Dreaded Friend
@dreaded-friend
14 years ago
13 posts
my dreads are a week old and they are separating and curling and just "falling out". I have done everything my dreader told me to do complete with re-back combing and rolling but to no avail. Can anyone give suggestions on how to get these young locks to stay together??? Thanks for the help
updated by @dreaded-friend: 02/14/15 10:32:52AM
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
but let them go, it is completely normal for it to fall out like that, your hair will dread if you just give it time, thats all you need. dreading is a process and you shouldnt want them "over night" enjoy watching them form, wash, and seperate. also to speed things up you can add some sea salt to so water and spray you hair with that, and grab yourself a wool tam,got any pics????? and im not sure, but if your "dreader" is suggesting re-back combing and palm rolling, then im unsure of this guys knowledge on dreads lol, palm rollin is a waste of time, well good luck........
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
Don't touch them, stop rolling, stop backcombing, let them do their thing. Keep em clean and let nature do its thing.
Dreaded Friend
@dreaded-friend
14 years ago
13 posts
Thank you, as for my dreader, these were her first dreads and I am the only person I know with dreads so my network of help is pretty small! Thanks neil coe said:
but let them go, it is completely normal for it to fall out like that, your hair will dread if you just give it time, thats all you need. dreading is a process and you shouldnt want them "over night" enjoy watching them form, wash, and seperate. also to speed things up you can add some sea salt to so water and spray you hair with that, and grab yourself a wool tam,got any pics????? and im not sure, but if your "dreader" is suggesting re-back combing and palm rolling, then im unsure of this guys knowledge on dreads lol, palm rollin is a waste of time, well good luck........
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
well smile cause your network just got big, this site is a ocean of knowledge, so much info, use it. : ) and i just seen your "wax rolling" stop that, wax isnt good for dreads, i suggest you check this out....................... http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dread-wax-why-ya-dont-wa... and if you got rubber bands in(unsure, no pics yet) take those out too..... let your hair go free cause natural is the way to be.......... oh shit that should be one of our slogans lol Dreaded Friend said:
Thank you, as for my dreader, these were her first dreads and I am the only person I know with dreads so my network of help is pretty small! Thanks
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Is your dreader a professional? If she is then tell her to come here. Hopefully from then on she'll give healthier dreads with no wax of tools.Don't rebackcomb. That is taking out any progress your hair had done on it's own. Just leave them alone. If there is wax, do a wax removal, they will probably come undone a lot but that's ok. That'll show you that there weren't many knots, just wax gluing together.If they come undone completely, try some twist and rip. It usually holds better than backcombing :)
Dreaded Friend
@dreaded-friend
14 years ago
13 posts
Everyone keeps talking about twist and rip....what is that technique and is it as painful as it sounds?? I have tried the wash and leave method because I never owned a comb or brush so my hair will not "naturally" dread. I even tried no conditioner.... Paula said:
Is your dreader a professional? If she is then tell her to come here. Hopefully from then on she'll give healthier dreads with no wax of tools.

Don't rebackcomb. That is taking out any progress your hair had done on it's own. Just leave them alone. If there is wax, do a wax removal, they will probably come undone a lot but that's ok. That'll show you that there weren't many knots, just wax gluing together.

If they come undone completely, try some twist and rip. It usually holds better than backcombing :)
Dreaded Friend
@dreaded-friend
14 years ago
13 posts
My dreader is not a pro dreader as I was her first set. I liked how hey looked the first day or so...could the Florida humidity be stopping progress? Dreaded Friend said:
Everyone keeps talking about twist and rip....what is that technique and is it as painful as it sounds?? I have tried the wash and leave method because I never owned a comb or brush so my hair will not "naturally" dread. I even tried no conditioner....

Paula said:
Is your dreader a professional? If she is then tell her to come here. Hopefully from then on she'll give healthier dreads with no wax of tools.

Don't rebackcomb. That is taking out any progress your hair had done on it's own. Just leave them alone. If there is wax, do a wax removal, they will probably come undone a lot but that's ok. That'll show you that there weren't many knots, just wax gluing together.

If they come undone completely, try some twist and rip. It usually holds better than backcombing :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
no it's not painful at all. If it's even a little painful, then you're doing it wrong. You twist 2-3 inches of hair then split 3-5 times. Then untwist and start again, twist rip rip rip.here's a guide :) http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/twist-and-rip-method-dreading#axzz0uEZo8tTQ When I did mine, I twisted a little less than the first but more than the second video. Watch and you'll know what I mean :)For me nothing but the tips came apart, the roots did a little too but then they locked up really nicely
Dreaded Friend
@dreaded-friend
14 years ago
13 posts
I put up a pic.... Dreaded Friend said:
Thank you, as for my dreader, these were her first dreads and I am the only person I know with dreads so my network of help is pretty small! Thanks

neil coe said:
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form