Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New here, hi everyone, need advice...

Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
Hi everyone,I came upon this site after seeing one of soaringeagle's comments on Johnny Clean's youtube videos. I haven't been posting much but I have always wanted to have some talk about dreadlocks. And I can't think of anyone that I can talk to about dreadlocks in person, so what better way to share my thoughts on the subject than this community !Okay so I have been having a personal dilemma because I have been growing my dreadlocks for 8 years now and kind of see "the end" approaching closer. I want to stick it out until the year 2012 when I cut my dreadlocks off, but I might just shave them off in 2011 (Although I really wouldn't want to)I very much admire those people who have long dreadlocks because of their dedication. I have met people back in Houston's 2006 Jamaica International Festival where some people had locks for 20+Years (yes their locks were like knee length), and THEIR little kids had dreadlocks too!!(a beautiful sight).So my dilemma isn't having dreadlocks much so, but the length. They are past my shoulder's but just above my waist line. I cannot see myself with dreadlocks down my waist line (Something that might happen by the year 2012), yet I DO NOT wish to trim them. Yet I Do Want to keep the dreadlocks (Ah Dilemma !!) And with Job hunting, I don't think dreadlocks are that "socially accepted', especially since mine are LONG and I live in Houston,TX.I believe in its either ALL Or Nothing! And with my spirituality growing during these past years, I feel as if my locks are part of my spirituality (No I am not Rastafarian). I could keep going on about why, how, and what Dreadlocks mean to me, but this has gotten long enough.So to help me gain a better understanding I need to know what YOU think in regards to when YOU would cut your dreadlocks, and whether you believe in Trimming them to the desired length or keep going until X amount of years and cutting them completely!!P.S. No that is not me in my avatar, it's a photo of Sonny Sandoval from the band P.O.D.Thank You,
updated by @arturis-static: 01/13/15 08:41:14PM
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I have the same problem but I am not no where near having to make the decision yet. But if you are not physically uncomfortable or getting migraines then I would not trim them or cut them. But if that did become a problem then you would be forced to choose...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ive had odffice jobs with mine dragging on the ground and any spiritual connection nit just rasta gives u the legal tight to have em and no job legaly can descriminateid never trim or cut

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
lol, yes I've thought about using that reason in case any employer questioned the dreadlocks. Glad to hear your personal experience in an office type job. Just the mental image of seeing you walking around an office with locks dragging on the ground was enough to bring a smile :]thanks soaringeagle said:
ive had odffice jobs with mine dragging on the ground and any spiritual connection nit just rasta gives u the legal tight to have em and no job legaly can descriminate

id never trim or cut
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
Nice answer !! Health and well-being should always come first.That's a very important detail you mentioned, about the 1st set of dreadlocks you had.Question for you, When you decided to trim your 1st set of dreadlocks how short did you trim them?I think its because its my 1st time having dreadlocks that makes the decision so difficult. I know after the 1st I wouldn't care about trimming. Knottysleeves said:
Welcome!
Cutting/trimming is a totally personal decision. I had to trim my first set for physical reasons -- I'm prone to migraines, and once my dreads got to a certain length, the weight was just too much for my neck and head. I spent a lot of time fighting the discomfort and trying to find ways to deal with them, and it just wasn't worth it anymore.I know some people have religious, spiritual or other reasons that they'd never cut a dread, and I respect that. But for me, my health and wellbeing always comes first. :-)
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
I know Austin TX are a bit more open-minded and fun that say Houston,TX.Think Dallas might be too, not sure.. ricky williams said:
I live in TX too i think you'll be k with the dreads but man if you don't want them past your waist then id trim a bit if i was you. It will keep growing so trimming a little bit wont hurt you if you feel personally that you need to.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form