Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A Greeting and then some

Anthony Miles
@anthony-miles
14 years ago
5 posts
Hello, recently attempted to get dreads (when I say recently I mean as of this post it's been almost 18 hours). So many sites seemed so very helpful, but alas from reading the forums and everything the helpful sites seem helpful in only the sense that you'll get immediate looking dreads that won't last long and won't feel good.The "dreads' are still in as of now, need to wash em out though methinks. Went to a salon after spending 6 hours with my step-mom trying to backcomb/crochet it. I have rather long hair (profile pic lends weight to that) and I've been told it would be easy to dread it so I decided to try, and after trying to hours we decided on a salon. The lady there went with the twirling method and used buttloads of wax and gel. As I read more and more about it it seems as if it was $70 wrongly spent. So, after hearing back from my step-mom (which I should here shortly) I will likely return from work and begin the arduous process of removing the wax.Now the website seems inclined to say that natural/neglect or twist and rip are the best methods. I'm curious about a couple things in regards to these methods. First and foremost, where can I get soap/shampoo that would be ideal for going with either of these methods (checked the dread shops section, the shops seem broken?)? And second how do you determine the size of the dreads with the natural/neglect method? And how can you be sure of proper sectioning for the twist and rip method? Finally, how long would either method take with my hair you think? Not in a rush, I'm just curious since people have already seen these pseudo-dreads and will be a mite surprised when they see them gone the next day or two.Great site, much appreciated for any information!
updated by @anthony-miles: 02/15/15 01:11:03PM
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
shampoo=baking soda and water or if u must use soap dr bronners liquid soap pepermint feels good and smells good but all are good to use however u must dilute it at least 12-1 with water i use a spray bottle to do this as it makes it easier to use and waste less in the shower...sectioning 1x1 is usualy quite nice do not stack the 1x1 sections on top of each other rather do it as if you were laying bricks....sectioning from natural dreads happen on their own u just pull them apart into how big u want them but smaller is always better cause its easier to congo 2 dreads than rip a larger one.... sounds like u indeed should wash that funk out and start over! good luck
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Generally the dreads will end up around the size of the sections. So go by that. I wouldn't recommend anything bigger that 1" as it can become hard to wash and then dry properly.But wax needs to be washed out first. Do a wax removal, dip in really hot(boiling) water and carefully squeeze like a toothpaste tube. use gloves too.The scrub really good with some dawn dish soap.Read "Dread Wax Truth" at the top links. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
natural your hair will section itself if it sections too big rip into smaller sectionst&r section random sizes for more natural look but be sure that theres not any criss crossed hairs at the roots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the shops bugged it will be fixed soon heres main link to her main shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/MayleesGarden

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Anthony Miles
@anthony-miles
14 years ago
5 posts
Ahh thanks for the link. I tried visiting that earlier, thought something was wrong. Going to take look around that website.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
oh yeah thanks for the link...it got me looking too and I finally bought something :D
Anthony Miles
@anthony-miles
14 years ago
5 posts
Spent about 45 minutes in a rather hot shower trying to get the wax out. Bathtub had a lotta black in it. My hair still feels rather waxy. I assume it'll eventually go away if I just keep showering yes? :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
maybe if you do it hot enough but it will take a long time. Try a proper wax removal, the super hot water and the dish soap will speed it up a lot Anthony Miles said:
Spent about 45 minutes in a rather hot shower trying to get the wax out. Bathtub had a lotta black in it. My hair still feels rather waxy. I assume it'll eventually go away if I just keep showering yes? :)
Anthony Miles
@anthony-miles
14 years ago
5 posts
I'll try dish soap next time around. I just used shampoo, lots of it, and conditioner. May try the super hot water tomorrow after work. Just don't fancy the notion of dipping my hair into hot water and not entirely being able to see how far I'm in :p. Also I don't have "dreads" since I didn't let them lock up so I can't dip each dread in, it'd have to be most of my hair at a time.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form