Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Goofiest dreads you'll ever see!!

pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
I can not believe anyone would ever, ever ever ever, pay for dreads!! It's free!! Ugh...(shakes head) I mean...come on now... Think it through, do you think back 100 years ago people were spending money to dread their hair??The worst part is people will charge for dreads, knowing that what they are doing can damage the persons hair.I want to hug these people and their strange locks...lol...I've never seen such gravity defying dreads. soaringeagle said:
Pricing

Dreadlocking Services and Rates:
Dreadlocking rates vary with hair thickness, length, and size of dreadlocks desired.

Most dreadlocking ranges between $180-$330 and includes four to eight hours of work, plus one jar of dread wax, one bar of shampoo, and a dreadlocking comb.

If you want one or two dreadlocks, or want part of your hair dreadlocked (e.g. you have an undercut) contact me for individual dreadlock or partial head pricing. I also offer additional services, such as dread maintenance, dread rescue, fixing roots/tips, hemp-wrapping dreads, dyeing, dreadlock removal, etc. Additional services are generally $25/hour, while dreadlock removal is a set price, calculated similarly to whole-head dreadlocking.

Contact me for a quote regarding your particular situation. Please state what type of dreadlocks or repair work you require, and include your hair length, thickness, texture, and (if applicable) history of your current dreadlocks.

Product Prices:
Knotty Boy Dread Wax: $16.00/jar (light or dark).
Knotty Boy Dread Shampoo: $12.00/bar.
Dreadlocking Comb: $8.00/comb.

Beads: $1.00-$5.00

All prices include sales tax. Knotty Boy is a registered business and pays all required taxes.

Products

I use the full line of Knotty Boy products.

Knotty Boy Dread Wax: An all-natural beeswax-based formula with organic hemp seed oil and Vitamin E. Designed to start dreadlocks in any type of hair and allow them to be washed, it can also be used as a conditioner on dreadlocks, especially dry or damaged hair. Dark Knotty Boy Dread Wax (for use on brown or black hair) contains all-natural walnut pigment.

Knotty Boy Shampoo Bars: Full of rosemary, tea tree, and peppermint essential oils, these shampoo bars are made in small batches with organic hemp and vegetable oils. They are excellent for sensitive scalps and skin, as well as being entirely biodegradable. Also available for order in liquid format. All Knotty Boy Shampoos are free of foaming agents, harsh cleansers, softeners, or chemical additives.

A dreadlocking session includes one jar of light or dark wax, one shampoo bar, and a comb. I always stock wax and shampoo. Additional products such as Knotty Boy Tightening Gel, beads, and accessories may be special ordered if not in stock at the time.

For product prices, please see the Pricing page. Volume discounts are available

Frequently Asked Questions

How long have you been doing this? How do I know you're any good?
The very first time I did dreadlocks was several years ago. I was in high school and I used Knotty Boy's products on to give myself 5" long blonde dreads. After I got them, people kept asking me if I would do theirs for them, and I just kept on doing more peoples' hair.
I regularly did dreadlocks through high school and college - sometimes for profit, often for friends. Eventually I realized that if I was this good at it, I should perhaps put it to some use!
I've done dreadlocks, among other places, in Niagara, London, Toronto, and Cornerstone Festival in Bushnell, Illinois. I've done them on both very short hair and very long hair several times, as well as some interesting challenges (separating a girl's waist length dreadlocks that had grown together under a hat for three months, dreadlocking to cover a head scar...)

So why are there so few pictures on your site?
Mostly because I didn't bother taking before/after pictures until very recently. I chose the first two individuals for a reason: there's both a girl and a guy, and they show great variety in hair length, texture, condition, color, and even the type of dreadlocks they wanted. Other pictures are slowly being added. Currently, all pictures are of clients from within the past year.

Aren't dreadlocks dirty/smelly/unwashable?
Nope. This continues to be one of the greatest myths about dreads - that you get them by never brushing or washing your hair. Though some traditional methods of dreadlocking include this, it's unecessary to form dreadlocks like this. As well, oil (from your scalp) isn't very good for your dreadlocks, so you should wash regularly to keep them clean.

How long does my hair have to be?
I require a minimum length of 4 inches overall before I will give someone dreadlocks. Ideally, your hair will be at least 6 inches. Dreadlocks can be done on shorter hair (e.g. 3 inches). Since roots and tips are the last to dread, this will give you very little actual dreadlock. Waiting until your hair is longer gives you better looking initial dreadlocks, as well as the opportunity to "finish" the tips earlier.

How often should I wash my dreads?
At first, your dreads will be fragile, and the rule of thumb is to wait as long as possible before first washing them (a week or two). After that, wash them every two to four days. If you need to wash them daily because of working out or your job, that's fine, but be careful to concentrate mostly on your scalp and treat your dreadlocks gently.

How do I wash my dreads?
Get some dread shampoo, lather it up, and then concentrate on washing your scalp, well rinsing afterwards. The lather from this will clean your dreadlocks just fine. Rinse them well, then squeeze them with a towel to get all the moisture out you can.

If the dread wax is too visible after washing, or if your dreads will not be able to air-dry fully, blow-dry them from the scalp to the ends. Dreadlocks staying a little wet is fine for a day or two, but then be careful to wash and dry them fully after that so they stay clean and fresh-smelling.

I have dreadlocks, and something went terribly wrong. Can you fix them?
Most things can be fixed when it comes to dreadlocks. Loose hairs, tips, roots, etc.. they can all be fixed. When dreadlocks have grown together significantly, prepare to lose a little length, but they can also be salvaged. Most of this depends on the maturity and extent of the damage

I don't want dreadlocks anymore. Can you take them out? Can I do it?
Absolutely. It does depend on the age of your dreadlocks, but most dreadlocks can be painstakingly combed out.
In most cases at least 2/3 or more of your original length can be salvaged. There will be some buildup from the wax, so you will need to use a clarifying shampoo for a few months afterward.
The good news is that since your hair has been mostly protected, (inside a dreadlock, covered with conditioning wax, and only the strain of being teased back once to put up with), it will be in very good shape! Take a look at the "Dreadlock Removal" link on the left to see before/after pictures of dreadlock removal.

I thought you shouldn't put any type of oil in your dreadlocks - so why is there oil in the dread wax you use?
Good question. The wax contains tiny amounts of conditioning oils, not so much oil that it will make your hair additionally greasy.

Can I use another wax/shampoo/conditioner/hair product?
Wax - as long as it has NO petroleum in it, and it's pure beeswax, go ahead. I like Knotty Boy, but there are other brands out there.
Shampoo - The difficult part is finding a shampoo without conditioning agents in it or harsh detergents. Even baby shampoo isn't good for dreads. That said, another residue-free soap would be just fine.
Conditioner - Unless you've had dreads for several years and they're well locked up, I wouldn't recommend it. Conditioner makes hair slippery, which is the last thing you want for dreadlocks. After they are tight and mature, however, they can be conditioned.
Hair products - Almost every hair product leaves residue on the scalp and hair, and is both drying and slippery for the hair. Other hair products are not recommended. Shine spray/serum is especially bad for dreadlocks, as it contains silicone, an extremely slippery substance.

Can I dye my dreads?
Dreads can be successfully dyed - however, the dye will only take to those areas which have little to no dread wax on them. I do not recommend dyeing dreads until three to six months after you get them.

Can I go swimming/exercising? What about sunscreen?
As usual, exercise caution in the first few months of dreadlocks. Too much motion can undo fragile dreads. Other than that, swimming is great - the chlorine and sun dry out your dreadlocks and melt in the wax. The sweat from exercising contains salt and water, which won't make your dreadlocks greasy. For both, of course, just wash your scalp afterwards so it doesn't get irritated from the water. And if you'll be out in the sun, use a spray sunscreen to get the parts of your scalp that are exposed.

I have a scar on my head - can we camouflage it?
I have given people with head scars dreadlocks before. While it varies from person to person, often the roots of the dreadlocks can be dreadlocked directionally instead of straight up-and-down, so that the surrounding dreadlocks sufficiently cover the scar - fully covering it from others' view and protecting it from sunburn.

Can my kid/pet/grandpa get dreadlocks?
Kids can get dreadlocks with parental permission - if they are between 5 and 13, I will do dreadlocks with a parent present. If they are between 14 and 17, I require a parent to come in and sign a waiver (downloadable here), though they do not have to be present the whole time. Dreadlocks are more than just a haircut, and you're probably still living with your parents and by their rules.
If you want a pet with dreadlocks, check out these guys...
And your grandpa is probably already losing his hair... dreadlocks will add strain and make it fall out faster. But if he wants them...

Your rates are suspiciously low. What's going on?
Simple - very little overhead. I do not rent a salon chair or storefront, though I do pay other costs associated with a small business. Since I have less overhead, I am able to offer a competitive rate.

I'm a student/senior... and you're way too expensive. Do I really have to shell out a few hundred bucks?
Hmm.... this is a tough one. Nope, I don't offer much in the way of discounts. I pay for my own education with this - getting a Master's is expensive. But I am sympathetic to your plight.
Take what you regularly spend on hair cuts, products, dye, time to style your hair, etc... and add it all up. Before long, paying for a few hours' labor and some quality products for your dreadlocks sounds like a pretty good deal!
Really strapped for cash? If you want to buy the products and give it a go yourself, the instructions (which are close to my method, if not the same) are up on Knotty Boy's website.

For any more questions, check out the comprehensive Knotty Boy FAQ or the DreadHeadHQ FAQ.

ok sooooooooooooooooo he admitds wax buildup will remain for years but he calls his rates suspiciosly low? correct me idf im wrong but arent his jars of wax way more then the kb price?

updated by @pixie: 07/23/15 03:26:38AM
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
decided to leave my 2 cents on the guestbook. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wow u guys sure let them know whats up..lol

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
"Revenge of real dreadheads" going on on that site..too funny...thats most no of comment those suckas got in a day.....ironically
turkey
@turkey
14 years ago
63 posts
thers a name that stand out to me "sloan"
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
isnt that dirtyboys sticky girl? gannon alexander best said:

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
omg im traumatized look at the beforew and after albums im looking at the 2nd not only do they look horrible they look miserable too

--
turkey
@turkey
14 years ago
63 posts
exactly?? thats why it stood out soaringeagle said:
isnt that dirtyboys sticky girl?

gannon alexander best said:
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
Okay, so I admit my way of obtaining dreads was unethical but they didn't look like that. They must be using a hell of a lot of wax? I'll post a pic of my most infamous, sticking up dread. It's kinda funny. Actually, I should make a vid to demonstrate the damage done by crochet!
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
I dont think you can do anything to your dreads to make it look THAT bad...I mean seriously...are they having their nipple taped with wires that is sending 1.21 giggawatt of electricty??? It made me as sad as watching animal testing vdos...just as clueless these bastards...;) Westcoaster said:
Okay, so I admit my way of obtaining dreads was unethical but they didn't look like that. They must be using a hell of a lot of wax? I'll post a pic of my most infamous, sticking up dread. It's kinda funny. Actually, I should make a vid to demonstrate the damage done by crochet!

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form