Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Introdicing myself!

Katie Murphy
@katie-murphy
14 years ago
30 posts
Hey everyone. I have been wanting to dread my hair for quite a while, and was pretty close to purchasing a "kit" today, then I was thinking to myself, this seems like a lot of crap to have to use and spend my money on. So, I started looking to see if I could just backcomb without all of the wax and lock accelerator and other random crap that they sell. I'm pretty glad I decided to do some googling and find this site :)I do have a couple of questions before I start though. First, I would like to go as "natural" as possible, but I'm semi-worried about work. I have to wear a hard hat at my job, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this, and if it is a problem, either by flattening the dreads, or getting them caught in the hat, etc. Or do you think it wouldn't be an issue at all? Also, do you have to always keep your hair down? My hair is rather thick and coarse, and I don't see it being a problem knotting up on its own much, but I do often pull it up especially at work. Would this completely deter from the natural dreads forming?
updated by @katie-murphy: 01/13/15 08:40:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no it shouldnt be an issue (and thank god we saved u from the kit) but id be extra careful to seperate more if your tying em uop alot or wearing a hatdown they tend to knot in sections but up theyresa more of a chance to tangle all over so seperate into sections more often

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katie Murphy
@katie-murphy
14 years ago
30 posts
I have a feeling my hair would dread rather quickly too. I already never brush or comb it, but I run my fingers through it quite often to pull out knots, and in just an hour or so, I have knots formed usually.I'm thinking about doing the twist & rip, but just at the parts of my hair, and letting the rest go naturally. I really like piggytails, so I don't want a huge clump at the back of my head, would that end up looking ridiculous? (not the huge clump, sectioning around my part, but letting the rest form on it's own..)I'm going to school for about 2 weeks starting monday, so I'll have some time off from work & my hard hat. I'm hoping I'll be able to get enough of a start that it won't be TOO much of an issue..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
sounds like it would be interesting and im betting your at least 1/2 way dreaded by the time you go back..not tight ofcourse but dreaded ..post updates often u better have a camera ..omg if u could do a time lapse vid id hug ya..that would rock

--
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Welcome to the site!
Katie Murphy
@katie-murphy
14 years ago
30 posts
I'll take a before pic in a bit :) I bought some Dr Bronner's today, and washed my hair with it, but it's still wet now :) I don't know exactly what you mean by a vid? Like 30 second clips every couple weeks or so? My normal camera can take video I think... soaringeagle said:
sounds like it would be interesting and im betting your at least 1/2 way dreaded by the time you go back..not tight ofcourse but dreaded ..
post updates often u better have a camera ..omg if u could do a time lapse vid id hug ya..that would rock
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
less like 5 sec a week or 2 sec a day even and splice em all together

--
Katie Murphy
@katie-murphy
14 years ago
30 posts
OK I'll see what I can do. Here are a couple day 1 pics: Photobucket Photobucket soaringeagle said:
less like 5 sec a week or 2 sec a day even and splice em all together
Katie Murphy
@katie-murphy
14 years ago
30 posts
OK so I'm on day 3 right now, and my hair is starting to chunk up into the curls. I feel like progress is happening already :) Will washing it help it to tangle? I don't really know how often to wash do I wait till my roots start to get oily or do I want to wash before they get oily?
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
Whenever I wash I always notice little changes in my hair, so yes washing will promote locking. Katie Murphy said:
OK so I'm on day 3 right now, and my hair is starting to chunk up into the curls. I feel like progress is happening already :) Will washing it help it to tangle? I don't really know how often to wash do I wait till my roots start to get oily or do I want to wash before they get oily?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form