Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombing

Peter Wahlin
@peter-wahlin
14 years ago
3 posts
So im getting my dreadlocks pretty soon... ive googled a lot about dreadlocks in general, and i stumbled upon this site quite recently. In the sallong im getting them the hairdresser only offers the backcombing method. I read the "dreaducation" here and it doesn't seem to bee too good of a method... my question is, is it really that bad? i have no intention of using any products such as wax, but i do, however, intend to buy a crochet hook to tighten them up. does this seem to be a good solution?
updated by @peter-wahlin: 02/14/15 11:24:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
noooo crochet is extremely badbackcombings damaging enough crochet is very very badtime alone tightens themcrochet destroys them breaking so many hairs and making them way too tight so they get stiffand dont go to a salon no salon no salon no salon i cant stress that enough salons are guaranteed disastersand no crochetdo it yourself twist and rip

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Back combing is bad but not nearly as bad as using a crochet hook! Do NOT use a crochet hook, buddy. It's a slow painful death for dreadlocks. As far as back combing goes though...I don't recommend it and I definitely wouldn't pay to get em back combed. You shouldn't even go to a salon, you should just get a buddy or girlfriend to do em at home for ya or you could let mother nature do em. That's the best option. Good luck!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
let me explain something to you the path to dready glory is the path of least effortthe more you do the worse off your dreads becomeso bare minumum is bestthat means going natural is your best option but if not then twist and ripbackcombing if dont very gently isnt too terible but a salon will be total torture you'll be taking heavy pain meds a weekand your hair will be ruinednow t&r is very gentle almost as gentle as naturalbut crochet is just destruction everything u fix by crochet breaks more requiring more fixing and 10 years later your still fixing em if thewy havent fallen right offto get the best dreads..throw away your comb..and thats it

--
Peter Wahlin
@peter-wahlin
14 years ago
3 posts
wow i cant believe how fast i get replies here! :D ok i can see that the crochet method isnt very popular. The thing is the owner of the salong has dreadlocks her self and she used the backcombing method. She is offering mo hair extensions, and thats mainly my reason for going there. My hair isnt quite as long as i want it to be and i wanted to get dreads before schools starts. Im really lazy and i dont know anyone willing to help me so the sallong thing is really my only option. Ive read some topics and figured out that the backcombing method does work if i give it some time, correct?by the way, is extension a good choice untill my hair grows to the right length? soaringeagle said:
let me explain something to you the path to dready glory is the path of least effort
the more you do the worse off your dreads become
so bare minumum is best
that means going natural is your best option but if not then twist and rip
backcombing if dont very gently isnt too terible but a salon will be total torture you'll be taking heavy pain meds a week
and your hair will be ruined

now t&r is very gentle almost as gentle as natural

but crochet is just destruction everything u fix by crochet breaks more requiring more fixing and 10 years later your still fixing em if thewy havent fallen right off

to get the best dreads..throw away your comb..and thats it
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Honestly and in my opinion the back combing method DOES work but it also damages your hair and it just looks goofy for a few months until your hair actually starts dreading on it's own. The choice is all up to you BUT we are here to point you in the healthiest direction for dreading and that is natural. Now if you can't do natural then like SE said, T&R is good to. In the end all other methods besides natural just damage your hair and cause unnecessary worry. The only benefit that you get from them is that you create your own foundation for your hair to start dreading and sometimes that is not even a benefit because it can be the opposite of what your hair wants and it may end up being uncomfortable for you in the end. Other methods are mainly a crutch to make you feel like you've accomplished something when really, there isn't much that's been done except create a couple of being knots. Most of the knots fall out. As far as extensions go...one of our members used extensions. I'm not really a fan of them, I think they're kind of gross but that's just me. If you want to use extensions it's possible but KnottySleeves said something along the lines of different hair always dreads differently so the extensions will dread at a different rate which may cause your dreads to become uncomfortable later in their lifetime. If you really don't care what people think then just go naturally. If you care what people think now and you show up with dreads to school one day everyone is going to judge your hair anyways. So really there is nothing to lose by going natural. Just think about it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
rextentions arent a great idea for a few reasons theyre not recomended untill your dreads are formed they need ti be attached somehow this often involved glues or crochetand umm just cause someo9ne in a salon has dreads doesnt mean they know anything abourt dreads they often recomend interlocking dread perms crochet even felying thaty are completely bad ideas they almost always use wax or i even knew 1 salon used liquid latex!i realllly recomend u do it yourself its so easy and if yiour lazy how hard is it to do jnothing at all?go into a coma you'll dread..dreadings that simplea salon wuill charge u a huge ammount of money for a disasterbyw salons usualy say dont wash or wet your hair for 6 months..ewwwwif all u do is wash u will gert dreadsand save 600 bucks tooyou can twist and rip your 1st dread right now you'll be amazed how easy it is/..try it now

--
Peter Wahlin
@peter-wahlin
14 years ago
3 posts
i really gotta thank you for the feedback im getting on this site. But seeing how long it takes to get nice and "real" dreadlocks im beginning to change my mind about this. I dont think im willing to wait that long to get them to dreadlock on their own, and i certainly dont wanna mess up my hair with wax and stuff. Since i havent dreaded any of my hair yet , i can easily just get a nice haircut for a reasonably price ;)You've got a killer site here and i respect all the work you have done to help others.Keep it real.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
how long do u think it takes?it took me 2 weeksit takes most a couple monthsbut you can twist and rip yourself..right now and in a few hours have a great start Peter Wahlin said:
i really gotta thank you for the feedback im getting on this site. But seeing how long it takes to get nice and "real" dreadlocks im beginning to change my mind about this. I dont think im willing to wait that long to get them to dreadlock on their own, and i certainly dont wanna mess up my hair with wax and stuff. Since i havent dreaded any of my hair yet , i can easily just get a nice haircut for a reasonably price ;)

You've got a killer site here and i respect all the work you have done to help others.

Keep it real.

--
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Dreadlocks definitely aren't for everybody, man. But I respect your decision. Most people who don't take our advice ended up wishing they had. But yeah, man feel free to stick around if you want to. You may change your mind again. Respect to you, brother.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form