Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Anyone else have this problem?

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I am spending a LOT of time seperating my hair. When I get up in the morning my hair is a mess of matted fuzziness. Especially underneath where it is really thick. EVERY morning I have to get up and start seperating all the dreads that have mashed together overnight.I am sure the really curly, wiry nature of my hair and the fact that it is unnaturally humid here in MI right now has something to do with it, BUT is this an early dreading phase that will pass as they tighten???? Does everyone go through this phase of constant fuzz? It looks like I just have one big huge fuzzy dread!!! LOL! After I seperate them they are a little better, but even by the end of the day I have baby dreads that are trying to congo together already.A girl that is familiar with dreads asked me if I seperated them at all and I told her yes, every single day, sometimes more than once.Does anyone else have this problem with their hair? Does anyone have any suggestions? Would a little conditioner make them a little softer and not so likely to eat each other? I am not even fully dreaded yet, I still have loose hairs and then I have dreads that are combining so fast I can't keep track!!!
updated by @midread: 02/14/15 07:39:24AM
turkey
@turkey
14 years ago
63 posts
i just tried back combing only and i got a big poof ball instead of seperate dreads shaking ur head helps and i dont think urs are tight enough idk usually i just skae em and they seperate
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I have to seperate mine like crazy every day and I am only like two months in. Take it as a good sign, they are a lockin!
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
Fuzzy is natural Jake Holland said:
I have to seperate mine like crazy every day and I am only like two months in. Take it as a good sign, they are a lockin!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
how long have you been dreading? Pics would be helpful. i would not use conditioner if i were you! How long have you been separating everyday? I had a bout 3 weeks or so in the very beginning that i felt like i was constantly separating and now only 3 or so months in on this set, i hardly ever have to separate them. I would think you probably don't have to do it everyday, maybe every 2-3 days. Ripping when needed seemed to really help mine knot up.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I am about five or so months in. Not really in the "early-early" stages anymore. I know that fuzzy is natural, and my hair has a tendency to be fuzzy anyway if I don't dump tons of conditioner on it. But, it is really fuzzy and my dreads are almost like velcro!!! :) I am beginning to think maybe it is the texture of my hair (unfortunately).I wasn't really considering "conditioner" per se, but maybe some aloe or something might help control the congos a little. I've been separating every day since I started, but lately it seems like I have to do it constantly and it seems like my dreads just want to meld together in one big beaver tail or something. Maybe it is the humidity - it REALLY makes my hair curly, more than normal.I haven't had long hair for very long. I kept it cut really short because it is so curly, so I am not used to dealing with longer hair issues and then dreads on top of it. Was just wondering if anyone else had these issues with their dreads or if it is just my hair type. Thought maybe someone could say "oh yeah, my hair does that all the time and this is how I deal with it."The fact that Jake has to separate all the time makes me feel better. Oh well, will give it some time. Maybe this fall when the humidity stops I will see a big difference in the texture.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i really think with the ripping it gets worse before it gets better, You may be just before the stage when you don't have to rip much anymore, that's what happened to me. The thing is everyone's hair is different. What happens to me won't necessarily happen to you or anyone else. Just hang in there, try not to worry. At 5 months they are still going through so many changes. Kind of like their adolescence. They are still trying to find their way. Just accept them. Many Blessings MiDread said:
I am about five or so months in. Not really in the "early-early" stages anymore. I know that fuzzy is natural, and my hair has a tendency to be fuzzy anyway if I don't dump tons of conditioner on it. But, it is really fuzzy and my dreads are almost like velcro!!! :) I am beginning to think maybe it is the texture of my hair (unfortunately).

I wasn't really considering "conditioner" per se, but maybe some aloe or something might help control the congos a little. I've been separating every day since I started, but lately it seems like I have to do it constantly and it seems like my dreads just want to meld together in one big beaver tail or something. Maybe it is the humidity - it REALLY makes my hair curly, more than normal.

I haven't had long hair for very long. I kept it cut really short because it is so curly, so I am not used to dealing with longer hair issues and then dreads on top of it. Was just wondering if anyone else had these issues with their dreads or if it is just my hair type. Thought maybe someone could say "oh yeah, my hair does that all the time and this is how I deal with it."

The fact that Jake has to separate all the time makes me feel better. Oh well, will give it some time. Maybe this fall when the humidity stops I will see a big difference in the texture.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Sounds like your hair naturally wants to be thick dreads, could you let a few congo?Try popping on some beads or do a loose thread wrap maybe.....
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Actually, I think some have combined. I have a couple of thick ones in the back, which is fine by me! I have all different sizes! I just don't want to have to fight it constantly and I don't want just one or two huge dreads!!!! :) Like two big dread pigtails or something LOL!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
are u getting em seperated all the way or is there still hairs way down at the roots connecting criss crossing eachother?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form