Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

will my dreads fatten up?

ash
@ash
14 years ago
6 posts
i've had my dreads in just over a month and there looking pretty skinny, showing more scalp than i had hoped for, i put them in using knotty boy and DHHQ products, followed there techniques of palm rolling wax, accelorator, etc....before having seen this site, now im thinking i need to move to the natural routeis there anything i can do to make em fatter? would washing all the wax out, backcombing and leaving them to go naturally help them or am i likely to need to start from scratch?also whats the best way of washing them as im using dreadfusion soap but have been reading alot from different people with different techniquesif i go for baking soda to wash how safe is it for my dreads to use essential oils to make them smell better? and are there any i should avoid
updated by @ash: 02/14/15 06:36:38AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
you will most likely notice an imediate improvement after getting the wax out then a continued improvement over monthspost pics of the waxy version then right after each dewaxing attempt then as u progressi think u will see a drastic difference when u get that crap out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Robert shawn bozarth
@robert-shawn-bozarth
14 years ago
25 posts
ok 1 you deffinetly need to get the wax out, dependant on how long your hair is, you could soak your dreads in boiling water, ditch all products you bought (if you want to) and the dread head shampoo does not work (if you thought of useing it) if you use a baking soda wash try to use a sea salt spray because the baking soda makes them softer and if you wondering how to do a baking soda wash it's 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda to every two cups~~~~~~~~~~~natural might be good for your dreads, just throw out your comb and let it go {:-o but that might not be your thang so I wont push it
ash
@ash
14 years ago
6 posts
yeah i have recently tried to wash all the wax out using dread fusion shampoo, didnt really do the job too well, can still feel some wax at the core, will check out the dewaxing guide, has been just over a week since i've first washed em and for the first time since i put em in i can actually say im lovin the feel of em now.will get some pics asap, just moved house yesterday and still not sure where any anything iswill be throwin out the product as soon as i find themi've heard about people using apple cider vinegar and aloe, what do they do to your dreads and would you recomend using them?with the sea salt spray, how do i mix it? is it like the baking soda, 1-2 teaspoons to 2 cups?cheers for replyin, feel loads more confident about goin natural now
ash
@ash
14 years ago
6 posts
laundry detergent??? can you really use that on your dreads? never would have thought about using thatwill have to buy some acv, will baking soda keep my dreadiz smellin nice? i have some essential oils layin around, would they be ok mixed in the baking soda for that lil added freshness?
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
dish soap is a lot easier than laundry detergent. i find a lot of times laundry detergent has bleach in it (even if color safe) and they dont specifically say on the front that theres bleach in it. get a bottle of dawn or something and have at it, but remember to dillute! Knottysleeves said:
Shampoo won't get the wax out, unfortunately. You'll have to step it up a notch with dish soap or laundry detergent -- something that actively cuts grease (wax is like solid oils, in a way).

ACV is used in a rinse after the baking soda wash, to neutralize the baking soda and condition your hair a bit. Same as the baking soda, just a couple teaspoons per 2 cups of water is fine.
ash
@ash
14 years ago
6 posts
hey not been on for a while, just moved house.are there any detergents you would recommend or any i should avoid?once i have the wax out are thereany techniques i should use to help my dreads form instead of palmrolling or should i just leave em to it Netty Mey said:
I was in ur predicament...idk how much wax u used but I started mine with kb wax and managed to use half of it within like two weeks...and nothin I did got the wax out...I did the baking soda and the dish soap and it only made the wax harden up into a nasty gunk...I used laundry detergent nothin "all natural" either just some good ol' tide...it killed the wax instantly and left my hair smelling like a mountain breeze lol jk but seriously I didn't dilute or anything it's not gonna do anything that dish soap won't which by nothin I mean it might dry ur hair up a bit...

Jackal said:
dish soap is a lot easier than laundry detergent. i find a lot of times laundry detergent has bleach in it (even if color safe) and they dont specifically say on the front that theres bleach in it. get a bottle of dawn or something and have at it, but remember to dillute! Knottysleeves said:
Shampoo won't get the wax out, unfortunately. You'll have to step it up a notch with dish soap or laundry detergent -- something that actively cuts grease (wax is like solid oils, in a way).

ACV is used in a rinse after the baking soda wash, to neutralize the baking soda and condition your hair a bit. Same as the baking soda, just a couple teaspoons per 2 cups of water is fine.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
eek i dunno about regular laundry soap. Personally I would go for something with less chemicals(sun & earth makes a good all natural laundry soap). Or at least check the ingredients first! I'm not doubting you Netty,it just worries me a lil :o)
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
method and 7th generation are good natural laundry soap and 7 gen makes lavender mint dish soap that kicks greasy dishes asses so for 3.69 it couldnt hurt to try....i have never waxed a dread in my life so i have no clue wat its like really but these detergents are all natural if u wanna go that route NaturalWomyn said:
eek i dunno about regular laundry soap. Personally I would go for something with less chemicals(sun & earth makes a good all natural laundry soap). Or at least check the ingredients first! I'm not doubting you Netty,it just worries me a lil :o)
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
yo u def wanna get some tea tree oil and jus drop like 5 to 10 drops of that in you baking soda wash and the same in youracv rinse feel free to change up your proportions though, or u could get dr. bronners tea tree oil soap bar ash said:
laundry detergent??? can you really use that on your dreads? never would have thought about using that

will have to buy some acv, will baking soda keep my dreadiz smellin nice? i have some essential oils layin around, would they be ok mixed in the baking soda for that lil added freshness?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form