Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

why is crocheting dreads so bad?

cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
so i stopped crocheting my hair after maybe like a week cause everyone said it was bad. now my dreds are coming loose, but i dont know what to do now. i just dont understand why crocheting destroys dreds.
updated by @cassie-gabriel: 02/14/15 12:21:59PM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
If you use crochet, you'll have to crochet for everwhen you crochet, some hairs are pulled in and more are broken. Those broken hairs will come out and you'll have to crochet more to pull them is, braking even more hairs.it makes the dreads high maintenance when they should pretty much be no maintenance.Over time, it is really bad to crochet because you break so many hairs that it can weaken the dreads.
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
well do you know how to keep them from unraveling? cause im afraid im going to have to start over if they keep up what their doing. but i guess only time can tell
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ypur shoving a metal object through a dread breaking hairsand your dreads are not suposed to ber anywhere near as tight as crochet makes them let them come loose let them heal let them really dread..dreads take time not effort

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
really it's ok if they unravel some..they will dread on their own anywaysspray with salt water after you wash will make them feel a little tighter :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
do nothingu never had to start dreads at all dreads will happen if u do nothingbackcomb t&5 crochet anything is totaly unsesacary and more often then not must come loose even fall apart completely before actual dreadung starts if u do these methods they should not be thought odf as dreading but just causing foundation knots and if the sections stay sectioned ot retain even 1 knot your have saved yourself a week or 2 of doing nothing at the cost of going damagethey do very lil to actualy speed up dreading they mostly are a psychological crutch to make u think u accomplished something in the end u just gotta give up and let them dread on theyre own cassie gabriel said:
well do you know how to keep them from unraveling? cause im afraid im going to have to start over if they keep up what their doing. but i guess only time can tell

--
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Over time it weakens the dread and the dread core tremendously because you're breaking hairs inside the dread. But you can't really see the damage until your dreads fall off or break in half. Your dreads aren't supposed to be super tight, they'll become tighter over time though. Plus, crocheting is high maintenance and maintenance is lame.
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
so if im planning on having my dreds in for a long time, crocheting is not a good idea?
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
no it's not...and if you plan on combing them out eventually it's an even worse idea. when you comb it out your hair will be very thin and damaged...not to mention you'll lose a lot of hair. cassie gabriel said:
so if im planning on having my dreds in for a long time, crocheting is not a good idea?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well u can see the damage a month or 3 after u stop they get extra fuzzy fromk all the broken hairs popping iut but if u resist the urge to fix em they will get better as they heal1 guy here who had crochet dreads dove into a pool yeas it was a high dive but not extreme high and just the water pressure broke off 4 dreadsi can by my dreads they are probably se weight of 6 elephants they shouldnt break off from 1 oound of pressure(the 6 elephants is a whole head of dreads a single 1 inch dread should suport yoir weight)besides the severe damage and supernatural tighteness crochet makes them stiff hard scratchy look more woven then dreaded look fake they feel differet (instead of spongy they feel squueeky when squeezed from all the broken hairs grinding on eachother)if u do it too long and stop theres a permenant or near permenant distict difference between the crochetted and the actual dreaded new growthits just not smaty yoo shove metal through a dread..that should be odvios

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form