Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Weak hair paranoia

Michael LaCour
@michael-lacour
14 years ago
10 posts
I stopped the rolling a while ago, but I periodically (once a month) clockwise rub sporadic dreads to try and get some loose hair gathered. I will stop this rubbing, try the oil, let 'em grow, and see what happens. Thanks!!! soaringeagle said:
island mommas right overworking can be the cause and most likely is i mean i get mine steped on and stop me dread in my tracks or yank mt head into mt knees just to show u the force and nevrr have tearing sounds jusrt the ends that ger stepped on alot show wear n tear

u shouldnt have that weakness but the treatment was sound jojoba etc it will help as much as anything can help wealker ends peobly wont break till theyre longer
breakage usualy comes from overtewistng felting interlocking and crochrtting anything with tools odviosly over palm rollings probly not gonna cause u to berwak in just a year or 2
dont over seperate if a root feeks weekened let it combine how long ago did u stop all the rolling?
use the oil and get s few incges growth and they'll be fuine
unless yoir really harming the roots weaknesses usua,y end up being towards the ends after yearsbut your on the right path to keeping em strong and healthy from herre on and the d

updated by @michael-lacour: 07/23/15 03:26:45AM
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I didn't comment on treatment because it was already offered so I commented on the reason for the problem, as we know other people read these threads, not just those posting and responding.D-Shell takes personal offense to a lot of things here, she only has a small handful of posts and the majority are in arguments, my statement wasn't unfounded. Michael LaCour said:
I don't think she was intending to be neither argumentative nor bitchy; I think she was just stating the fact that this is a problem on ALL sides of the spectrum (natural/backcombed/tnr/etc). While I do recognize and agree with you that palm rolling and twisting do indeed weaken the hair, the fact is that I manufactured my dreads over a year ago, so at this point it offers me no benefit to know that manufactured dreads are weak. I know this already and there is nothing I can do about it.

I, as well as many other people, come to this site seeking advice. And I love this site because I always get advice right away. It's fantastic. Soaring Eagle usually comments within 5 minutes, which shows how much he truly cares and loves dreadlocks and helping people with them. The problem is (which is why The Dreaded Shell has received so much criticism) is that often people don't offer advice. Instead, they quickly adopt an elitist attitude towards the natural method and simply say that "manufactured dreads are weak" or that palm rolling "destroys" hair. This doesn't help me at all. While some people believe that natural methods are the best (and to each their own), other people desire more straight/sculpted looking dreads, while simultaneously keeping them as healthy and natural as possible. I personally fall into the second category, but I still turn to this website because I love experienced advice quick responses. So instead of simply saying "common/normal on manufactured dreads...manufactured dreads are weak," which I already know, it would be more beneficial to offer advice to the question I posed instead of criticize me for something that I did over a year ago.

Please don't get defensive or offensive in response to this comment. I just want to point out that people have different beliefs about dreadlocks, and all I want is help based on my method of choice.

Island Mamma said:
Whats your problem? You seem really argumentative and bitchy.

I pointed that out because it IS COMMON in MANUFACTURED dreads.

Palm rolling for months is excessive and WILL weaken roots.

Its not rocket science, keep pulling and twisting roots and they WEAKEN.

I don't get whats so hard about that.

I point it out so people understand what certain methods do so they can AVOID ruining their hair.

The Dreaded Shell said:
actually a friend who went the entirely natural way of total neglect asked my advice on this subject last year.... he found the jojoba with rosemary to be what worked for his dreadlocks so?

Island Mamma said:
Common on manufactured dreads.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh brother i think what the problem is is she refuses to accept or recogbniise that fact that you already know from experience through youir own personal experience that harm was done in the quest for the look u preffered and now youir just trying to keep em healthy and strong as iu can so they lastits the "im poking metal objects through my dreads but magicly doing no harm" flat out refusal to believe what you already know from experience.and were just trying to help limmit and if possiblr repair the dammage donelimmitings best because some dammages are permmenantand compounding Michael LaCour said:
I don't think she was intending to be neither argumentative nor bitchy; I think she was just stating the fact that this is a problem on ALL sides of the spectrum (natural/backcombed/tnr/etc). While I do recognize and agree with you that palm rolling and twisting do indeed weaken the hair, the fact is that I manufactured my dreads over a year ago, so at this point it offers me no benefit to know that manufactured dreads are weak. I know this already and there is nothing I can do about it.

I, as well as many other people, come to this site seeking advice. And I love this site because I always get advice right away. It's fantastic. Soaring Eagle usually comments within 5 minutes, which shows how much he truly cares and loves dreadlocks and helping people with them. The problem is (which is why The Dreaded Shell has received so much criticism) is that often people don't offer advice. Instead, they quickly adopt an elitist attitude towards the natural method and simply say that "manufactured dreads are weak" or that palm rolling "destroys" hair. This doesn't help me at all. While some people believe that natural methods are the best (and to each their own), other people desire more straight/sculpted looking dreads, while simultaneously keeping them as healthy and natural as possible. I personally fall into the second category, but I still turn to this website because I love experienced advice quick responses. So instead of simply saying "common/normal on manufactured dreads...manufactured dreads are weak," which I already know, it would be more beneficial to offer advice to the question I posed instead of criticize me for something that I did over a year ago.

Please don't get defensive or offensive in response to this comment. I just want to point out that people have different beliefs about dreadlocks, and all I want is help based on my method of choice.

Island Mamma said:
Whats your problem? You seem really argumentative and bitchy.

I pointed that out because it IS COMMON in MANUFACTURED dreads.

Palm rolling for months is excessive and WILL weaken roots.

Its not rocket science, keep pulling and twisting roots and they WEAKEN.

I don't get whats so hard about that.

I point it out so people understand what certain methods do so they can AVOID ruining their hair.

The Dreaded Shell said:
actually a friend who went the entirely natural way of total neglect asked my advice on this subject last year.... he found the jojoba with rosemary to be what worked for his dreadlocks so?

Island Mamma said:
Common on manufactured dreads.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
Actually it's true. Listen, my friends are black and most of them have nturally kinky textured hair. My texture is generallysofter and more stringy than thiers. So they should have locs sooner than I right? Well no, although I did twist and rip when I first got them to seperate my hair, after I've done little more than wash them. And I already have many portions locking up. They twist, two strand, tnr, palm roll, etc etc etc excessively. One girl told me her hair already feels brittle. Not to mention their hair comes loose often. So not only does it damage your hair, it can also slow down the process. Natural being the best isn't an elistist attitude. It's a fact.
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
All of you sit down, skin up, light up, toke up and sit back and relax!
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
What oil?

ricky williams said:
WOAH everyone needs to take a few chill shots of something calm the back and forth i get that mike feels like that was a little off hand with that comment no need people to keep going over and over on the statement he doesnt apparently mess with his locks a lot and the roots are new so any weakness would be felt in the dread its self not exactly the root and that treatment looks nice i can never find that oil here though :( tis terrible just calm the bluntness down people tends to start arguments like this
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
What oil?

ricky williams said:
WOAH everyone needs to take a few chill shots of something calm the back and forth i get that mike feels like that was a little off hand with that comment no need people to keep going over and over on the statement he doesnt apparently mess with his locks a lot and the roots are new so any weakness would be felt in the dread its self not exactly the root and that treatment looks nice i can never find that oil here though :( tis terrible just calm the bluntness down people tends to start arguments like this
J.D.
@jd
14 years ago
115 posts
aren't all dreads manufactured? if you think about it, whether it be by a comb or by your body, dreads are manufactured.
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
yea i like that, the poster is not the only one reading this, so even though it kinda pushes your buttons for her to state the reason behind your problem, it my help a lot of people who don't know, no reason to get offended, or be so defensive, she wasnt judging you for the route you chose, just tryin to inform otherscite>Island Mamma said:
I didn't comment on treatment because it was already offered so I commented on the reason for the problem, as we know other people read these threads, not just those posting and responding.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form