Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreading children's hair

Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
My daughter is 5 years old and really wants to dread her hair. What is the best way to dread a child's hair? I was thinking of sectioning with bands once the natural sections become obvious in order to make the process a little easier for her.Any suggestions?
updated by @westcoaster: 01/13/15 08:38:48PM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
what type of hair does she have? and how long?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
explain to her the difference bettwween twist and rip andfd natural and let her decideprobably natural but give her all the info and make the choice togrther

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
Her hair is straight with a progressive wave from about half way down to the tips and it is about to mid back. She's part aboriginal so her hair is medium thickness.I have explained to her the differences and she just seems to be okay with anything, lol. My first thoughts are to go natural but I don't want her to suffer through any scalp discomfort leading her to change her mind half way through. That having been said, if I use twist and rip, it might be too intensive for her.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
If it were me, I would lightly TnR her hair and let it go from there. Not too tight so it doesn't hurt, but also do the TnR so she can get the instant gratification of having a new type of hair. Not many kids will be patient in waiting for their first dread to come in. Thinking of my cousin who is 5, I know if she wants to make a change, she would probably like to see a difference(even a small one) immediately.But of course she's your child so if you think she can be patient and committed, then go natural :) Westcoaster said:
Her hair is straight with a progressive wave from about half way down to the tips and it is about to mid back. She's part aboriginal so her hair is medium thickness.

I have explained to her the differences and she just seems to be okay with anything, lol. My first thoughts are to go natural but I don't want her to suffer through any scalp discomfort leading her to change her mind half way through. That having been said, if I use twist and rip, it might be too intensive for her.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Natural would be easiest on her I think and as for scalp conditions if you wash her hair whenever she needs it washed she should be fine....if she has itching or flaking use peppermint oil (careful of her eyes) in the baking soda wash and rinse with cool water (not cold)Beads might be an option she likes instead of t&r...they are fun and gentle.
Emily
@emily
14 years ago
203 posts
If shes ok with anything you could try natural for a while see how it goes and if she hates it you could tnr too. i hated brushing my hair when i was little so i would think natural would be pretty easy haha.
Michelle Hallett
@michelle-hallett
14 years ago
24 posts
I don't have any suggestions, I just think it's awesome you are going to let her do this. :)
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Ditto
Island Mamma said:
Natural would be easiest on her I think and as for scalp conditions if you wash her hair whenever she needs it washed she should be fine....if she has itching or flaking use peppermint oil (careful of her eyes) in the baking soda wash and rinse with cool water (not cold)
Beads might be an option she likes instead of t&r...they are fun and gentle.
MT_mommy
@mt-mommy
14 years ago
13 posts
My 3 1/2 year old has her hair dreaded. She wanted them pretty bad and we opted to help them along by sectioning and gently TnR. She's had hers for a month now and really loves them. The TnR wasn't painful at all for her and she sat patiently through the whole process. There's a pic of her on my page if you wanted reference for how it looks that way.Good luck with whatever you decide!!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form