Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How can I encourage congos?

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
So Ive had my t&rs for arount 2-3 weeks and Ive decided to let some Congo.Today after my wash I didn't separate them and They have already started to grow together at the roots. Now I don't want to have one huge dread so I was wondering-could I loosely braid/twist a few together so they can continue to eat eachother? I was also thinking about using rubberbands but I don't know if that's a good idea.
updated by @opaulao: 02/14/15 08:34:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no no no braiding no rubber bands they are trying to congo so..let them just dont seperate the ones u want together..its that easy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I didn't notice even having to separate mine for a few months before they really started to come together, the fact your noticing yours so early on is a good thing though since you know your roots will lock up easily,rubber bands are a pain in the butt, imo just use a peyote stitch if you have one, it was the most simple easy way to let mine combine at the roots. (even a bead that fits nicely)never tried twisting them around each other to the point where they held though so idk if that'll work. Buuut something else to consider is how easily your roots seem to congo as they mature, I had a few that snuck up on me that combined be4 I noticed (smaller locks)SE's answer pretty much sums it up simply tho :P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
for 18 years i did all i could to discourage congos and still had 3 accidentalythen 2 years ago i stopped all that and in 3 months had a dozen co9ngos that were up to 6 joined into 1after a year i had alot more 2 years and im almost all congosu dont need to encorage congos they will happen no matter how hard u try preventing thembut if u really want them just allow them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
You're right SE... I guess I'm still entertaining the idea that I am in any way in control of my hair.. I just need to let it do what it wants :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Oh I never thought of that ... I'm glad you brougt this up.. I have actually been worrying a bit that my roots wouldn't dread quickly.. Now I have some hope that they will :) Iain said:
I didn't notice even having to separate mine for a few months before they really started to come together, the fact your noticing yours so early on is a good thing though since you know your roots will lock up easily,
rubber bands are a pain in the butt, imo just use a peyote stitch if you have one, it was the most simple easy way to let mine combine at the roots. (even a bead that fits nicely)

never tried twisting them around each other to the point where they held though so idk if that'll work. Buuut something else to consider is how easily your roots seem to congo as they mature, I had a few that snuck up on me that combined be4 I noticed (smaller locks)

SE's answer pretty much sums it up simply tho :P
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
that's a really good idea! I'll try that on a few and see how it works. I just really want a way to keep the ones I want together but away from others :) Thanks!! Sister Rags said:
They'll go together on their own, like others said. I've congoed some by using hemp string in an "X" pattern along the dreads; it does tend to encourage congoeing, but mostly I did the wraps for some color & decoration & if they congoed, it was a plus.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
so does it have to be hemp string? I have a LOT of cotton string..I use them to make bracelets but I have more than I know what to do with.

What do you think?
updated by @opaulao: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
ooh ok..I actually have some that are shiny and some that are not...So I gueass I'll try with the ones that aren't shiny :) Sister Rags said:
No, it doesn't. I've used embroidery floss (cotton or rayon or silk) and it's commonly used for hair wraps. Because embroidery floss has a slick texture, though, it doesn't help the dreads congo quite as efficiently as hemp does. Hemp is porous and has a hair-like texture.
Harry Brack
@harry-brack
14 years ago
32 posts
i just join em with a bead big enough to get on both dreads right at the roots if i notice two dreads nomin at each other. then just make sure the beads at the roots and that tends to work :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form