Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Guide Request

GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
This is mainly a question for SE...if it's alright, I would like to propose a request for a certain guide. I was thinking about some of the new members would greatly benefit from it but everyone else could benefit from one as well.I don't know exactly how the guide request-free item thingy goes but if SE is for it I would like to see someone make a very, very detailed...Dread Accessory Guide!I would like to see one that is very varied. One that lists everything from beads, sleeves, wraps, bandanas, hats (new members would probably like to know what types of hats that you can wear over dreads, some of us have to wear baseball hats for work:P), tams, coils, and even various common items that can be used like...someone said beer bottle caps or whatever. It would also be kool if they described what they use to make these things...like, tams come in wool or bamboo. I'd like a description for the different types of beads and stuff like that as well. For example, glass (obvious), polymer clay (unsure of what this is but I think I may know). I'd like to know stuff about how durable they are, if they can be worn in water, if they are effected by sweat. I also saw some awesome coils on etsy. I'd like to know more about those. Also would like to know if any of the other accessories are good or helpful to dreading as I'm sure new members are also curious about that. I don't know names for a lot of stuff that they make for dreads...for instance those things that go over the dread like a sock...I'd also like to know side effects to leaving them in for long periods of time. For instance, the one that goes over dreads like a sock...it's obvious that they can be too tight for new dreads and probably shouldn't be worn for long periods of time on any dreads. Anyways, this guide may be a two person job...maybe not. I'm a very thorough person and I'd like to help anyone who is interested in doing it.Oh and when you describe an accessory a picture should be used. :PSo how does this sound for a guide, SE?
updated by @greygargoyle: 02/05/18 01:16:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
awesome but id see it split up with a accessories guide page with links and a sentence or 2 description of each sectionbeads coils wraps sleeves and fanct rhings to decorate dreadshats tams wraps scarves and adssorted headgear to cover the dreadsumm wait were there only 2 sections?oh nevermind then..heheid like to link all the keywords to the shops sections too so anytime beads wraps sleeves whatevers mentioned (hats tams etc) a links made to that shop sectionph i know how we can split it uphow to use guides andhow to make your own guideswe currently have no itemns to offer (yet) but knottysleeveds kindly offered a few sleeves to help the site, but not till end of july or so cause shes too busty nowspecial noteanyone can make a guide at the top of every existing guide theres an add a page link,iafter u make a guide send me the link ill add it to the links to right and insert links from the guide to forum sections

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I was hoping that you would reply to this topic :P I have a question for you since you know a good bit about it. You would make a good writer for the accessories. :P I could most likely do head gear but I would want someone to review it just in case I might forget something. Anyways for my question...How do people get feathers into their dreads? I'm guessing some of em just push em inside but I saw one pretty kool one on etsy that was somehow attached to a copper coil and that looked awesome! I wouldn't want to attach any onto roach clips or anything that might damage the dread. What would you suggest for attaching feathers to dreads? Just curious, I love the feathers more than any other accessory. :P Knottysleeves said:
That's a great idea, Grey!

It would be really hard to make statements about durability and water resistance though, because like all jewelry, quality totally depends on how it was made and what it was made from.

For example, peyote stitches made from plain cotton/nylon sewing threads aren't really waterproof, and depending how the threads are finished, they can easily unravel and fall apart after just a couple months of wear... but if you use a specialty beadweaving thread that's really strong and the threads are woven tightly, it can last for years, even if you get it wet. Same thing for coils -- something made from cheap craft wire isn't going to be anywhere near as durable as one made from strong copper wire. And there's a huge variety of yarn out there for tam makers (there are so many different kinds of wool, for starters).

I think the guide is a great idea, though. When I was new to dreading, I had no idea what choices I had for accessories!
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
No one up for the challenge?
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
lol, it's no problem. Maybe this should be a group effort? :P
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
14 years ago
87 posts
Resurrecting an old discussion because I've been searching and so far a proposition for a new guide is the best way for the information.Skimming old discussions I see that wool is best for a tam versus cotton. But upon further searching there are also a variety of different materials. Bamboo that's anti-fungal? Hemp? Would definitely like to see more information on those items.I searched on Etsy, WOW there's a lot of tams. Which sellers would be member recommended other than the ones in our dread shop?And beads. I saw pewter ones and I'm wondering, does pewter rust? Turn green?Lastly, I know microfiber towels aren't in this discussion, they're more of a drying accessory but I tried to search for information...where else to buy. I googled, but they look really expensive. I also visited Bed Bath and Beyond and it's about $18 bucks for one of those twist turbie styles and $22 for a regular towel. Where did other members get their's and find any good deals online?Maybe we should just add all our knowledge on here and someone organize the information into a new guide? I only have newbie info, but I'd be willing to organize to get the ball rolling. So yeah, excellent idea Grey and hopefully by resurrecting there will be more responses.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Thanks and yeah, I could do the organizing, no problem with that.Hope someone can add something though. I think this guide is necessary. MzElaineous said:
Resurrecting an old discussion because I've been searching and so far a proposition for a new guide is the best way for the information.

Skimming old discussions I see that wool is best for a tam versus cotton. But upon further searching there are also a variety of different materials. Bamboo that's anti-fungal? Hemp? Would definitely like to see more information on those items.
I searched on Etsy, WOW there's a lot of tams. Which sellers would be member recommended other than the ones in our dread shop?

And beads. I saw pewter ones and I'm wondering, does pewter rust? Turn green?

Lastly, I know microfiber towels aren't in this discussion, they're more of a drying accessory but I tried to search for information...where else to buy. I googled, but they look really expensive. I also visited Bed Bath and Beyond and it's about $18 bucks for one of those twist turbie styles and $22 for a regular towel. Where did other members get their's and find any good deals online?

Maybe we should just add all our knowledge on here and someone organize the information into a new guide? I only have newbie info, but I'd be willing to organize to get the ball rolling. So yeah, excellent idea Grey and hopefully by resurrecting there will be more responses.
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
14 years ago
87 posts
Oh wow, thanks Knottysleeves, cheaper towels popped up when I googled "microfiber camping towels", more in my price range.I agree Grey, this guide is definitely necessary. Knottysleeves said:
I got my microfibre towel at Canadian Tire (a Canadian chain that sells hardware & auto parts and stuff). Look in the car care section of your local department store, they're often sold as car & boat shammys.

Most camping stores sell them too, as "camping towels".

MzElaineous said:
Lastly, I know microfiber towels aren't in this discussion, they're more of a drying accessory but I tried to search for information...where else to buy. I googled, but they look really expensive. I also visited Bed Bath and Beyond and it's about $18 bucks for one of those twist turbie styles and $22 for a regular towel. Where did other members get their's and find any good deals online?
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
14 years ago
87 posts
Did some googling to answer my own question, mehehe, so impatient..."Pewter dos not contain iron, it will not rust. It may corrode in salt water."So careful with the accelerators if pewter beads are in. Also, I read somewhere about it becoming pitted if soaked in water, so maybe just take them out entirely when washing.And somewhere it said that pewter turns skin black, I don't think it'll turn hair black, but light haired folk, be on the look out. MzElaineous said:
And beads. I saw pewter ones and I'm wondering, does pewter rust? Turn green?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form