Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

loops lumps kinks and zig zags in dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

often i'm asked how do you fix loops and lumps in dreadlocks ,so i made this thread to clear up a few misunderstandings.

loops: loops in dreads mean dreads are dreading. theres nothing to "fix" since theres nothing wrong.
dreads are knots, knots are formed from loops.
some crazy big loops when tightened up become bumps or surface texture but most loops disappear by themselves.

lumps: lumps are formed by loops and uneven dreading. lumps add texture they make dreads interesting and unique lumps make your dreads yours they are like the swirls in a fingerprint that makes that fingerprint identifiably your own. without lumps and surface features your dreads look like any ol fake dreads (dread wigs) or overworked boring dreads without personality (like johnny cleans)
again lumps are nothing that needs fixing because they are meant to be in dreads to make dreads look like dreads.

kinks and zig zags: sometimes loops can result in kinks or zig zags, again these are features that add charachter and therefore dont need fixing. zig zags are beautiful and unique.

ways to fix whats not broken, and ways to destroy dreads for the sake of uniformity:
excessive palm rolling: if you palm roll like a mamiac when hairs wet you might be able to make your dreads more boring.

the dreaded lock docta: dreadheadhq the company that loves profiting off of destroying dreads has come op with the most expensive felting needle you'll ever find. saying you should "release" the loops lumps and zig zags by poking it with the lock docta. so whats felting do to dreads? total destruction! releasing the loops and lumps means ripping apart every hair the needle touches!. you "fix" a loop and a week later the dread falls off.

so the best thing to do is learn to appreciate the loops lumps kinks and zig zags and be proud of how they make your dreadlocks yours.

post pics of your favorite loops lumps kinks and zig zags!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 08/19/21 09:13:28PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

crazy congoill add more when i take some more

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Junebug Johnson
@junebug-johnson
14 years ago
22 posts
Hahah too cool. soaringeagle said:

crazy congo
ill add more when i take some more

updated by @junebug-johnson: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Ozzydread
@ozzydread
14 years ago
8 posts
peyote stiches could be used.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
those look awesome rags

--
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
After I T&R'd mine they have loopy bumpy areas and I hope they stay. Its funny how one of the first conversations I had on this site was with SE and I was telling him how I wanted even uniform dreads. Now I am hoping for different sizes and lumps and zig zags and whatever else they want to do :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
haha thats awesome!i hear that alot ppl think they want boring johnny clean dreads only to discover they end up loving the 1 dread that goes completely wildim so glad none of mine are anything like any others

--
Libby
@libby
14 years ago
14 posts
I have this one dread in the back of my head that to me looks like an ivy vine. It has little loops coming off of it like "leaves" and its long and skinny. Its my favorite dread! I wish all of them were so cool! My other dreads have knots and bumps...I have one thats crooked. Some are fat some are thin, I love them cause they are a reflection of *me* (smiles) I wouldnt trade my locks for anything in the world cause to me they are perfect.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i know how ya feel i think its kinda odd to want a unique style like dreads but not want them to be unique in any wayi find all my loops lumps and zigzags eternally fascinating cause even after 2 decades theyre still always changing and always new unique features to discover

--
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
This is my 4 month time line....my dreads are just full of loops and zig zags. peace

updated by @momma-has-dreads: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 13

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form