Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp being weighed down

btw990
@btw990
3 years ago
62 posts

In the past I've posted about this weird baldish spot I've had going on the back of my scalp. I thought it could have been natural balding or traction alopecia from my last set of dreads which were crocheted super tight, which I combed out almost four years ago to go totally freeform. Now I'm actually thinking it's cause of the weight of the locks in that area putting tension on the scalp, where my hair in that area is already a little bit thinner than the rest of my head. I've tried several things in the past to try making it look better, like TnRing small groups of loose hair to make some skinny dreads, taking some hair out of some of the bigger dreads to form their own, and eventually I joined two of the skinny dreads. No matter what it has looked silly. So I was looking to see if there is really anything I can do about it, aside from combing out again and starting fresh.

While I'm at it, my previous set of dreads was heavily crocheted, interlocked, waxed, bleached, dyed, you name it. That shit show had to go once I realized how screwed up it all was. I probably should have cut off a little bit after the comb-out, but I let it start freeforming immediately after getting all the wax and crap out. Some of the dreads I had prior reformed, as well as some new ones, but ultimately now it looks so much better than the old set. Problem is, the damage from a lot of the interlocks is (or was) still there. Some locks just have thin weak spots, others reformed the actual interlocks so there's a decent hole in the middle, about 4" from the end, but what hasn't broke off yet will break off soon. So what I have going on now is just about all the locks in front about 4" shorter than the rest all around, that part doesn't bother me too too much. What I do want to know, however, is if having allowed some of the old dreads to form as they did, did I prevent my hair from dreading the way it's actually supposed to? I feel like for the size of some of my sections my locks should be thicker and shorter than what it is. I've attributed it to the fact that I have fine, thin hair, but I just don't know and it really bugs me when I think about it. I'm considering a do-over again, but if everything seems normal I wouldn't waste my time. Any advice would be great.

Picture is of that stupid baldish spot.

20210624_222155.jpg
20210624_222155.jpg  •  2.9MB

updated by @btw990: 06/25/21 10:56:47AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

try this, it can take a long time, up to a year..next

@Panterra Carraway she doesn’t have alott of time to be active on the site, but on Facebook, message her or post in the dreadlocks natty dreads group

Lil heads up.. she is the true expert.. and as such, has a short temper if her advice is questioned.. but if you pay attention to her advice, and follow it exactly..it is the absolute best chance of that recovering

she made that vid

start there..but also consult with her on fb

if you don’t have fb I’ll request an email consultation 

she’s the best.. 

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
btw990
@btw990
3 years ago
62 posts
☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

[jrEmbed module="jrVideo" id="374"]

try this, it can take a long time, up to a year..next

@Panterra Carraway she doesn’t have alott of time to be active on the site, but on Facebook, message her or post in the dreadlocks natty dreads group

Lil heads up.. she is the true expert.. and as such, has a short temper if her advice is questioned.. but if you pay attention to her advice, and follow it exactly..it is the absolute best chance of that recovering

she made that vid

start there..but also consult with her on fb

if you don’t have fb I’ll request an email consultation 

she’s the best.. 

It's actually funny you posted that video cause that's the exact one I used for reference when mixing up my oils for this problem lol. I actually ended up deciding I'm gonna comb it all out, trim some of the ends so there's no remnants of interlocking, and start fresh from there. I feel like it'd just be easier to repair that spot with it unlocked. Plus these last two months have been the worst of my life so far so I think I could use it spiritually. Thank you for the advice, I'm actually still going to get in touch with Panterra so that in the future I could avoid that problem from happening again.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

Well I’d contact her now about that issue it might not be traction alopecia and she’d have even more advice that will help

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form