Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Towel rub questions

j20
@j20
4 years ago
10 posts

I am white and have thick curly hair that is 5 inches on top and 4-4.5 on the sides. I've been rinsing with water daily for about 4 months now and washing with trader joes tea tree tingle once or twice a week. Ive been spraying a salt water solution in it before every rinse or wash (leaving in for half an hour) which makes it even more dry, frizzy and curly. Ive been sleeping on a 100% wool sweater and wool rubbing clockwise circles w/said sweater twice over the past four months and each time it just breaks the curl sections apart and creates a big frizz with some loose sectioning but nothing major after a week. Is this normal for wool/towel rubbing and should I continue? Or wait till my hair grows longer. Also I have seen some of my shorter hairs falling out while rubbing.

updated by @j20: 02/08/20 03:04:04PM
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
4 years ago
233 posts
Stop rubbing and just let it dread. Keep it clean. Separate. That’s all we need to do.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,640 posts

stop rubbing

even stop towel drying

heres the thing about wool rubbing .. 1st, if your breaking hairs your way agressive, but wool rubbing or even towel drying can create alotta knottiness., a general knotty mess that needs ripping apart into sections

or.. towel drying can create knots 9 times out of 10.. or even 99 out of 100.. but then that 1 time you erase months of progress in a single minute, you rubbed away 4 months of knots almost like you combed

knots will form, hair will tangle.. as long as your not messing with it (touching it towel drying etc) nothing will untangle them, they will tighten in your sleep. wool or no wool. some say wool pillowcases hurt more then help others wear by them. some sleep on silk or satin  to prevent the rougher wool from pulling out hairs.  vicki that makes the best shampoo swore by a microfiber pillowcase sghe got that not only prevents lint and fuzz but made hers lock like crazy

wich brings me to shampoo.trader joes is.. marginal.   its safe enough, no heavy buildup, but not close to ideal it doesn't encourage knotting (other then by keeping the hair clean)

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is by far the best (ask anyone) the liquid till mature then bar

i would say, in most cases, 1  or 2 more inches would matter even more. but.. for some (,like me) it dreaded art 4-5 easy

mines also mega thick, but not so curly (at 6 inches u would get a lil wave or hint of curl at the ends)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
j20
@j20
4 years ago
10 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

stop rubbing

even stop towel drying

heres the thing about wool rubbing .. 1st, if your breaking hairs your way agressive, but wool rubbing or even towel drying can create alotta knottiness., a general knotty mess that needs ripping apart into sections

or.. towel drying can create knots 9 times out of 10.. or even 99 out of 100.. but then that 1 time you erase months of progress in a single minute, you rubbed away 4 months of knots almost like you combed

knots will form, hair will tangle.. as long as your not messing with it (touching it towel drying etc) nothing will untangle them, they will tighten in your sleep. wool or no wool. some say wool pillowcases hurt more then help others wear by them. some sleep on silk or satin  to prevent the rougher wool from pulling out hairs.  vicki that makes the best shampoo swore by a microfiber pillowcase sghe got that not only prevents lint and fuzz but made hers lock like crazy

wich brings me to shampoo.trader joes is.. marginal.   its safe enough, no heavy buildup, but not close to ideal it doesn't encourage knotting (other then by keeping the hair clean)

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is by far the best (ask anyone) the liquid till mature then bar

i would say, in most cases, 1  or 2 more inches would matter even more. but.. for some (,like me) it dreaded art 4-5 easy

mines also mega thick, but not so curly (at 6 inches u would get a lil wave or hint of curl at the ends)

Ok I will not towel rub anymore and by towel drying you mean rubbing your hair dry with a towel right? I have been shaking my hair out after washing and then pressing a towel firmly against my hair to squeeze water out, is this ok I should I stop and let it air dry completely? Also would It be ok to rinse with just cold water every morning, spraying salt solution before and washing with trader joes or baking soda once every two weeks or so? I don't have the money in my budget for the dread shampoo at this time. 

j20
@j20
4 years ago
10 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

stop rubbing

even stop towel drying

here is a look at the sectioning in the front two days since brushing my hands through and destroying the towel rubbed knots. Will these curls become dreads?

boks.JPG
boks.JPG  •  385KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,640 posts

yup they will but i would not use the baking soda, or towel at all

and theres no need to use the salt daily

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags