Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Am I too late?

TheMystiqueRose
@themystiquerose
6 years ago
18 posts

So after a ton of research and arriving to this forum ( late as usual ) I was wondering if I am too late to save my locs? Let me first say I started back in January of this year and visited a loctiton ( I know the consensus on this board about them lol ). So for the first few weeks she just sectioned and rolled my hair with a bit of wax, which I guess isn't that bad. Then in February I believe or march? She decided to interlock my hair which I didn't think anything of at the time; instant locs that's great! As time goes on she simply palm rolled and and helped some loose strands stay tight. Fast forward to now after researching all of this I was wondering if there was any way to undo the interlock? I know it's been about seven months but I'd rather not start off, I don't think I can take them through the loop as some dreads have gotten bigger ( like natural ) so I was wondering what I should do? I also have 4c hair and will try to upload a picture to give a better description.

Edit I don't know if these pictures help, but I was wondering. Could I take a straight razor and just cut where the loop was made severing that and just palm rolling them?

IMAG0545.jpg
IMAG0545.jpg  •  1.2MB

IMAG0546.jpg
IMAG0546.jpg  •  1.3MB

IMAG0548.jpg
IMAG0548.jpg  •  1.1MB

updated by @themystiquerose: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

honestly wow ok 1st wax is a scam and a dread killer.. it is that bad..or was till www.dreadlockshampoo.com made wax b gone https://dreadlockshampoo.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=14

now those sections look really big, i'm having trouble seeing tbe loops you meant but I am familiar with interlocking (and I think you also crocheted twice/?) 

interlocking can only be undone for maybe 1 or 2 days then undoing it does more harm then good

your in luck they are short, they will grow only the tips will be harmed (after the wax is removed)

palm rolling does nothing! well the only reason it was ever used was to cram air into wax so it would harden and glue together

like I said wax is a scam

your 1st priority is remove wax

im willng to bet you should wash a whole lot more then any locticians recommends. 

can you guesstimate the size of the sections at the roots.i mean on your scalp..bigger then a quarter?

take a photo holding a quarter up close to your biggest section

if its more then 10-25% bigger i'd probably start over (you absolutely can comb them out but carefully especialy at the interlick points) if crochet was used...a lot of hairs were broken though

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TheMystiqueRose
@themystiquerose
6 years ago
18 posts

I'm sorry I think I got it wrong it wasn't wax but gel. I know it's not too much of a difference but that is what was used a bit. I wash my hair about once every two weeks but starting to increase it about twice a week to see if that will help. Since the interlock has been in for a while I'm assuming it's best if I cut and start fresh? Since they are interlocked the loctitian said I can just wash whenever they are in for good. I will be uploading a few better pictures in a moment. This is my first time around so at this point I wasn't sure what to do just hoping they can be saved :S.

Edit here are the pictures not sure if they help or hinder. Excuse the mess in my room lol

IMAG0550.jpg
IMAG0550.jpg  •  1.1MB

IMAG0549.jpg
IMAG0549.jpg  •  1.1MB

IMAG0551.jpg
IMAG0551.jpg  •  1.1MB

updated by @themystiquerose: 08/04/18 04:42:14PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

if theres a toolbar above where you type the button next to smileys adds photos in the post just make sure you choose a much bigger  size then tiny before uploading

was a crochet hook used? is the interlock point near the scalp

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

ok better thats not so bad no need to cut ..maybe if your concerned either wrap those points that worry you in hemp for awhile or get a peyote sleeve that fits over it

they will act like a cast helping it heal as much as possible

2  years all that will be left is a memory of a  mistake and healthy dreads otherwise

--
TheMystiqueRose
@themystiquerose
6 years ago
18 posts

I saw it but figured I would post the message and then update the topic with my pictures since my phone camera is better than this laptop one. The hook was used near the scalp in some you can definitely tell; but new growth is helping a few of the locs.

Edit - OMG Thank you! So I guess cut out the time with the loctician, wash and leave them alone at this point? Should I also use a brush? I got one from the beauty supply store that is supposed to help form or at least better help the locs I already have.

updated by @themystiquerose: 08/04/18 04:50:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

brush????????????? thats how you prevent locking...huh I gotta see this thing haha

cut out the time with the locticians eliminate it curse it.

in some cases id recommend demanding refunds especially when its real bad.. you can if you want  I don't see enough harm to fight it in court or anything.. they shouldn't have done it thats true.. but your not balding  its just the beginning.. someday maybe a few inches might break off maybe not.. u mght have a visible reminder  you might not

but yes please lets see the brush if you mean the silly sponge thing only sen it turn short hair into hedgehog like spikes

--
TheMystiqueRose
@themystiquerose
6 years ago
18 posts

I guess I must have thrown the brush away lol I did have it in my closet but it's not there anymore, but you described it to a T. Now I'm worried I mean I don't see any signs of damage but I definitely don't want to see the signs later on. Looking more and more like I should just restart :/

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

freeform or organic from the start is the best way

I am not seeing any clear signs, unless some sections are too big.. that you should start over

unless going naturals important to you... a lot here have started over for that reason alone

but for the mistakes you made I don't think they are bad enough that continuing on won't be just fine

i'm all for everyone growing dreads naturally so would never  discourage it, but.. if being completely naturals not 100% important to you your dreads should be fine to continue as long as none are too big and just those could be started over if so

--
TheMystiqueRose
@themystiquerose
6 years ago
18 posts

In a way it is I'd rather go a natural way than this "artificial" way as I'm starting to see it as. I mean it does give you looks but at times it doesn't feel right. It is important that I go natural but I wouldn't say it is 100% or maybe it's the aspect of not wanting to start over as well especially given I wouldn't know how to start locing my own hair. Then again to get the interlock, gel and whatever else she used out is far more important as well. 

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form