Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Second Time Dreading

Riley Napalm
@haazinumusic
6 years ago
27 posts

Hey everyone. I had been a member here once before and had my first dreads for a year and a month or so. I had to cut them for a job and now I want to look know up again since I've left that job. The last time they were done with the rip and twist method, but this time I'm allowing them to just do their thing and form at their own pace. I should probably go ahead and mention that I have never and will never use wax. I ordered a bar of soap from Vicki the other day and fired up my account once more. I'd say I've stopped brushing around March 15th of this year.

It's good to be back on this road and I'm looking forward to the halakha, the journey. 

-Shalom

Riley

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

Hey Riley! I did the same thing. Like 5 years ago i went for twist 'n rip and was not too happy about the sections i did pick for my locks, so i quit after like 7 or 8 month. I'm on the natural route now for a little over 2 years and very happy that i went that route this time.

I also wash with bars since day 1, but Vicky has a liquid version too and that would be even better to use in the beginnig. I believe there is seasalt inside for a faster progress. But there is nothing wrong using the bars!

Yeah, and it's nice to be back as a part of this great community on here!

Riley Napalm
@haazinumusic
6 years ago
27 posts
Thanks for the welcome! I typically was using Lush USA bar soaps as of most recently but had switched to the Equate brand of Castile liquid soap. Our hard water really made my hair feel gross on that specific liquid type.

If I recall correctly, I did use Vicki's Nag Champa liquid soap the first time I had dreads. I feel like it didn't lather the best, but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not opposed to trying that soap again!

I see now that BS and ACV washes are being discouraged now? That has changed since I last used the forums. Keep in mind it's been a few years. Haha

I'm glad you've enjoyed letting them naturally form. I'm looking forward to the natural route because I don't feel like stressiover imperfections this time around. Before, I wanted the "perfect" look but really liked how they looked as time went on and the rip and twist loosened and some fell out. I've already got a few loops and an "S" shape and I need to separate every other day or so. It's off to a great start!
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

Yes, BS and or ACV seems to severely weeken the hair, so it is not recommended any more. If somebody needs a deep clean there is a recommended product on vicky's page.

I was pretty impressed myself about fast progress and changes on the natty route. I only had to wait a while for my hair getting long enough, after that everything went really quick. I was a little afraid that the messy stage could last for years and break my patience, but it was not a big deal! Everything went a little easier than expected and i could enjoy every little changes almost after every wash.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

just fyi lather, foaming, is not necessary for cleaning. its a sales gimmick 'rich luxurious lather" but lather  comes from a toxic, carcinogenic skin irritant.

vickis liquid or bar, cleans better then lathering shampoos because of the microfine clays that bond with dirt and oils and remove them.

vickis is ofcourse made for hard water

and welcome back!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Riley Napalm
@haazinumusic
6 years ago
27 posts
Thanks for the info regarding lathering, soaring eagle. It's good to be back. I used my Bucks County soap last night and really enjoyed the smell. A little goes a long way there.

My wife and I typically try to use natural vegan type products due to the toxic chemicals within most hygiene products so this isn't a hard transition for me. About four weeks in and enjoying what I'm seeing. I do look a bit disheveled currently because of the amount of frizz and my hair being everywhere but one little dread in the back of my head actually looks like a lock already. Haha.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

yea you don't need much and it lasts a long time

more dreads will show up soon enough :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form