dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

newbie after some advice

whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

hey all,

so i recently got dreads via the crochet method, done by a professional not myself or friend. i am quite happy with the results. they were very tight at first but after a few days loosened up and after 3 weeks dont stick out much, just a little bit. i asked for whispy ends which i got ( a lil longer than i wanted about 3 inches of undreaded hair) anyway, the internet seems to be only full of how to videos or people saying they hate crochet method or love it but i have other questions:

although i, as some people would say cheated, will they if i get no more crocheting done lock up normally if left alone?

i am supposed to go in for a maintenance 1 month after getting them but i feel im being led down a path i dont really want.

i wanted to get them started then let them do their own thing not have a regular appointment so they would look immaculate. i dont want tight roots where you can see the sections, i like the slightly (scruffy) look, whilst still being tidy.

question is am i screwed do i have to start over or if left will they do their own thing and knot up by themselves, also, should i get her to crochet the 2-3 inches of undreaded hair or will that knot itself up too?

thanks for any replies, im really stressing! 

updated by @whisky-sour: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

i should also add my hair was only shoulder length when i started and fine.

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

Can you post some pics?

I had my hair crocheted for about 6 months and ended up combing the whole lot out and starting again.

I originally had planned to just leave them alone and let the new growth dread naturally but I think because crocheted dreads are quite tight it makes it harder for the roots to dread naturally.

Also when I combed them out they were full of shitty gunk. Check out the first few pics on my timeline.

https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/new_posts/115651/females-timeline

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

hey mate thanks for your reply, so why exactly did u comb your dreads out tho? too tight? i am actually happy with mine but just wana know what will happen if i do nothing with them from now as i dont want the "manicured" look. here is the pic of the roots. i got them done 3 weeks ago and they were tight and have settled alot since then into something i like just wana know they will cruise along if i leave them alone

whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

as you can see they arent tight as now they have puffed up i just got the un dreaded hair at the end i also wana know if that will dread too left to its own devices

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
To be fair yours don't look as bad as mine were.

I've been told that mature dreads should feel kind of like soft rope and be very flexible. Mine were hard and rigid so I knew they weren't right.

I don't really class what I had as dreadlocks I think of it as expensively knotted hair.

Going by your use of the word mate are you from the UK?

--
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

Upon looking at your pics bigger on a PC screen I think it's the loose ends that don't make them look so bad but looking at the actual base of the dreads they do look quite obviously crocheted.

Like I said before you could just leave them and let the new growth dread naturally but you will always have that hard crocheted bit towards the ends. Unless when your dreads get really long you just cut those bits off.

But personally I would get combing while they're still fresh. It took 2 weeks to comb mine out but I am so glad that I did.

--
lopenator
@lopenator
6 years ago
75 posts
It'll take at least 6 months for your crocheted hair to recover. They need to naturally loosen from the hook so that they can dread. Your new growth will eventually dread if you leave it alone.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

they dont look as bad as most crocheted dreads they look extra frizzy which is typical in crochet recovery (broken hairs pop out everywhere) typical crochet dreads are too stiff to dread at all for 6 months then 3 years later can still spot the stiffness..

your in luck they dont look super tight or stiff! DO NOT GO BACK! just leave them, hope they loosen more .. they will. and they will dread fine

will take time though

most importantly DO NOT GO BACK

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

ok so first off, thank you guys so much for you replys it does take a bit of weight off my chest. the thing is i dont hate them but i dont want something that has to be maintained at a salon on a regular basis as that is not what i feel dreading is about and i didnt really like them the first few days when they were really tight, not the look i was going for. i see how much the have relaxed in the 4 weeks this friday that i have had them and they look much better. i feel stupid because the 3 months before i got them done i must have researched everything about dreads, i mean every night for hours watching videos and never came across any anti crocheting stuff or what the end product would look like. the chick who did them had done her own and the look great so had no reason to worry. part of me wants to comb them out and twist and rip one at a time to keep the same sections but if you guys think the will just do their own thing over time and become "real" dreads then i can wait. what its all about right? would it be silly to use a sea salt spray on the loose ends to get them going? (femalepheremones) im from nz bro. thank guys

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form