Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sleeping and showering

6 years ago
64 posts

Anyone got any advice on dreads while sleeping? My hair has not dreaded at all in the front and sides, but the back of my head has started looping like crazy, but no loss of length strangely. Many people find this weird, but I sleep on my back and absolutely don't move at all. Could this be why my hair is taking so long to dread?

In regards to showering and washing hair, is there a preferred way to scrub and lather your hair? Should I just grab all my hair and rub it around my scalp or just wash the roots etc. Currently I just let by hair fall in its natural position as I wash it then wash the roots using dreadlocksshampoo. I think the minimal friction my hair sees in the front and sides can be attributed to why it's not dreading . Any thoughts?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

i only wash scalp the clays in the shampoos cleanas they rinse through

likely the rubbing of the length undoes progress

sleeping i sleep like you but toss em over the headboard or off the side of the best to  hang on the floor

i move around enough watching tv trying to sleep it takes me hours to get to sleep

but then dont move

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
6 years ago
64 posts

It sucks though, I keep my hands out of my hair and it looks like I just combed it every morning.

I dont rub the length in the shower, but I used to just grab all of my hair and place it on top of my head and scrub it along with the scalp, I stopped because that caused it to congo into one dread and if i separated it, all I did was rip a ton of hair and restart from scratch.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

maybe try pulling the blanket up over your head or even putting a 2nd pillow on top of your hair

its worth a try maybe ..i dunno

how long in are you maybe you just need to let it happen at it pace

the back will dread fastest the rest will just take mo time but will catch up

--
6 years ago
64 posts

Well the reason for laying on my back is due to excess amount of piercings. I have 9 on one ear, 10 on the other, 16 on my face. I was thinking maybe wearing a tam hat or something to sleep. But that seems like it'll just flatten my hair.

I'm 2 months in. 8 weeks. Just posted a picture the other day.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

tams are a good idea but usualy end up on the floor under the bed

um

when my piercings (28 1 ear 2 other 3-4 face) got in the way of my life (getting tangled in dreads, making that ear freeze solid (literally getting hard form being so frozen) and affecting how i slept or did things) that was when they all had to  go most all at once a couple stuck around till they started  catching in dreads all the time

people ask "how do i sleep with my new dreads' i often joke that they should hang from their ankles and not let theikr dreads touch thebed.. just cause if dreads require you to change how you slept  in any significant way (except early on to encourage dreading) then thered be no pint in having the dreads and have them interfere in how you live your life..i mean the basics  sleep eating, and well relieving yourself (procreation as well) 

sure when your dreads get long you might have to tie them up to keep them out of the bowl, but i mean not using the toilet at all changing how you do the most basic things just to accommodate dreads or piercings

can't you take out the most annoying ones before bed? you might find being comfortable outweighs being a pincushion and after a few weeks you simply stop putting them back in in the morning

--
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
Reviving this thread for a question on washing.

When I wash I basically massage my scalp with my fingertips but don't go crazy becaue I don't want to risk separating the hair at the roots but I keep getting dandruff near the roots.

Should I be washing harder or maybe rinsing for longer?

Any advice is appreciated.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

FemalePheromones: Reviving this thread for a question on washing. When I wash I basically massage my scalp with my fingertips but don't go crazy becaue I don't want to risk separating the hair at the roots but I keep getting dandruff near the roots. Should I be washing harder or maybe rinsing for longer? Any advice is appreciated.

You might try some essential oils on your scalp if it is dry. Do you have issues with an ichy scalp before you wash? I don't think you do something wrong while washing.

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
It's never itchy but when I look close up in a mirror I can just see a lot of whitish specks.

Might give the essential oils a go.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

This white stuff can be dead skin. I had that after i did a baking soda wash in the past, because it is so harsh. Maybe try to massage the

skalp a little longer during your next wash and also rinse a little longer, in order to get everything out? I would guess if your skin in too dry, it would start to itch.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form