Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question on undoing dreads sewn together

thick locks
@thick-locks
6 years ago
9 posts
Okay everyone first off ello, I just joined 10 minutes ago. This is something that has been weighing on my mind okay 10 months ago I got my dreads done through backcombing and crotchet the only maintenance I was doing after that was shampooing and separating about 2 months ago I decided to have my dreads sewn in together to make thickers ones initially had about 50 now only have 16. I rubberbanded my locs by 3 myself and kept the bands there for a about 2 weeks till I got someone to work on my dreads and sew them together. I believe what she did is crotchet the three dreads together and wrap my hair around the dread and crotchet the ends to tighten it. The problem is she worked off my sectioning of 3s which was not symmetrical at all, so my dreads are all over the place. It's been like this for two months now and my question is would undoing the sewn dreads (maybe just in the front of my face) cause damage to integrity of the dread itself ? Unsewing all my dreads might be taxing on my hair(not sure if I want to go that route) my problem rn is the fact that they're/ one dread square in the middle of my face
Maybe I can manipulate it ? And move it out of my face ?
My other problem is that everything is just unsymmetrical.
Here are some pics the first one here is gonna be one before I folded my tips of my dreads, I folded and I rubber banded the tips of my dreads to make them thicker ok here goes
What are your thoughts ?
IMG_2491.JPG.jpg
IMG_2491.JPG.jpg  •  1.5MB

IMG_2580.JPG.jpg
IMG_2580.JPG.jpg  •  1.2MB

IMG_2574.JPG.jpg
IMG_2574.JPG.jpg  •  1.2MB

IMG_2494.JPG.jpg
IMG_2494.JPG.jpg  •  1.3MB

IMG_2575.JPG.jpg
IMG_2575.JPG.jpg  •  1.2MB

thick locks
@thick-locks
6 years ago
9 posts
Do u guys like my longer tips better ?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

lots of thoughts

1 crochet is just horrible abuse

2 dreads that fat are nearly guaranteed to mold, three folded tips only drasticly increase that probability

3 sewing them together ..is just strange i mean they join together if you dont separate

4 why should they be symmetrical? symmetry is the least of your concerns. the thickness the very slow dry times and the eventual potential pain issues aree far more of a concern.

ok so, was it sewn with thread? can you find the thread and  snip it out extremely carefully?

it was kinda unethical of them to do this without warning you about all the potential issues ..like how do you clean a scalp you can't even get at..you might get pussy sores under the thicker dreads.

you are going to have to find the threads and snip them anyd hope you can get them undone..might need to comb the tips out to do that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
thick locks
@thick-locks
6 years ago
9 posts
☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

lots of thoughts

1 crochet is just horrible abuse

2 dreads that fat are nearly guaranteed to mold, three folded tips only drasticly increase that probability

3 sewing them together ..is just strange i mean they join together if you dont separate

4 why should they be symmetrical? symmetry is the least of your concerns. the thickness the very slow dry times and the eventual potential pain issues aree far more of a concern.

ok so, was it sewn with thread? can you find the thread and  snip it out extremely carefully?

it was kinda unethical of them to do this without warning you about all the potential issues ..like how do you clean a scalp you can't even get at..you might get pussy sores under the thicker dreads.

you are going to have to find the threads and snip them anyd hope you can get them undone..might need to comb the tips out to do that

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

another issue is crochet makes them stigff and that stiffness can take years to reduce.. the thickness adds to that so repositioning sa stiff dread  it will be stuburn and want to stay where its at.

how long ago were they sewn togrether

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

yea but they already had issues before folding

--
thick locks
@thick-locks
6 years ago
9 posts
😱 oh no
dreads these fat are called wicks and not that I have met anyone else with wicks but I can't imagine they all have mold
I can always undo the tips.but the thing is that they didn't use thread, the thread was my own hair wrapping around itself and then being crotchet
I wouldn't even where o begin in undoing these ?
What do u think
And pussy sores under my dreads ? Whaa
thick locks
@thick-locks
6 years ago
9 posts
They've been sewn together for about 2 months now
thick locks
@thick-locks
6 years ago
9 posts
They all don't have mold*
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

they can take 3-4 days to dry thats high mold potentialmk people who have huge dreads  do so for religious reasons and its their burden to bear thyey only wash very rarely (sometimes once a year) avoid swimming  and getting them wet.  they endure pain and suffering as a religiousd burden.

pussy sores cause the locks are so thick you cant get your fingers under them to clean the scalp. 

i know people with way fatter  but they take extreme care (and they are all natural) 

id start with the ones that bother you most soak in conditioner and very slowly gently brush or comb out brush is gentler buy=ut slower.,. it will take time and a lot of conditioner.. and the crochet would have broken hairs by the thouysands so ypou'll have handfuls  of hair on the floor after.

then let them dread naturally. or if you must, twist and rip.. but no bigger then 1 inch at the scalp..less is better at 1 inch they will take about 15 hours to dry  and thats with a good bit of blow drying over that time ()9less in hot sun) 

a 3 inch dread (yours look like 2?) can take  days and days to feel dry, but still be damp in the core..perfect for growing mildew and mold and "dread rot"

if you want to keepo them real thick consider a lavender vinager rinse at times to kill miold spores and plan on using rot knot every couple months at lerast

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form