Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tips on Neglect method

breanna.woiak
@breannawoiak
7 years ago
1 posts
I have just started using the neglect method on my hair. I have seen some awful turn outs but am hoping that mine will turn out okay! If there are any tips you guys have for me I would appreciate it! 
updated by @breannawoiak: 05/19/19 03:20:45AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

what you might consider "awful turnouts' is when they all merge into 1 dread? just separate as needed to prevent that

they will be loopy and wild awhile though

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
7 years ago
233 posts

I've had about 3 months of "oh no" on my head, I wore a lot of buns and pony tails lol. It can be hard to let go of that idea of perfect! Embrace the chaos, I love that when I put my hair up it flies in all directions. People ask me how I get my hair to do that, I tell them, just stop brushing for like 5 months or so, they laugh then look real confused lol. When it's down it's wild, but now at 7 months I like how it falls and it's obviously dreads, not just bedhead... I'd say if you find yourself not loving what you're seeing put some bobbie-pins in the front to pull it out of your face (your hair looks short). If it's long enough try a pony tail when needed! the first few months I LOVED the look I got, the next 3 were awful, now that I'm out of that stage it's coming back around to love, I just hope it doesn't go a fright again lol. Separate separate separate! Expect a certain amount of chaos, apparently it takes years for them to truly settle and be more of what you pictured- I wouldn't know I haven't gotten that far yet! :)20171017_113844.jpg  

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

often its just 1 year but can be up to 3 though that's rarer

--
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
7 years ago
233 posts

Good to know! I went in with the expectation of at least two years, less would be great!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

yours seems to dread real fast

ive seen people dread very fast and some pretty slow

but going in expecting 2 years is a great expectation, shows commitment and patience.

but since u fought off dreads daily io don't think yo0u should expect it to be too long

me, i pay no attention to time at all i mean this year barely feels like 3 months..  nothing seems like a very long time anymore

--
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
7 years ago
233 posts

My hair definitely prefers to be dreaded, it was a constant battle to keep it "presentable" lol. After my 3rd kid there wasn't anything I could do to keep up! Not brushing anymore freed up at least 10hrs a week with all the care and upkeep and conditioning it took to keep it dread free, even then I always had a dread or two by the end of the day!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

you have 3 kids/ i didn't think you'd be old enough to be married..your living a healthy happy lifestyle huh?

but yea my sis's ex (Japanese with waist length hair) if he didn't braid it b4 bed every single night in a French braid, he woke up with 6-8 huge dreads..and every single hair suckled into them too..not tight and mature ofcourse but his entire head dreaded overnight

another schoolteacher friend with fine thin scandanmavian hair  would have l;il ityty bitty dreadlings form every couple hours from the gentlest of breezes (she had to brush them out 5-10 times a day..often every 2-3 hours

--
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
7 years ago
233 posts

I have 5 children! My oldest wants to dread her hair as well but I'm making her wait till she's a bit older, their hairs are just like mine so if/when it happens they'll have quick success as well! We have a great life, the kids are homeschooled and very involved in my trade, the goal is to give them as many real life skills and as much self reliance as possible before they leave to do their own thing. It's a beautifully simple and unique life :) 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

that's awesome much respect

but you look like your in your 20s!

how old are the kids?

whats your trade?

--
 / 2

Dislike 0