Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

First things first I have to tell you to never use wax again.
It is afaik one of the top 2 WORST things you can do to your dreads only next to crochet hooks.
Our main mentor is at The Rainbow Gathering currently so he hasnt been on as much as normal he will be the best source of information

Your dreads will be with you a long time so you should give them the love they deserve. I really implore you to go read this first, at least skim through or read a section now and one later if you really dont have that much extra time.
https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/dreading-methods/75/dreaducation-comprehensive-guide-to-all-things-dready

Just going to quote the wax section for you but you can use ctrl+F to search for keywords on that page.
Waxes: Waxes are marketed for use on dreadlocks claiming to help keep the dreads together tightly and neatly while they lock up (especially promoted for use with backcombed locks and by locticions.) Now, in order for dreads to dread they require movement, and to a lesser extent, compression. Wax prevents movement and instead acts like a glue, caking the hairs together. This slows down the dreading process considerably while giving the illusion of nice tight knottiness. Over time it can cause very severe issues and is next to impossible to get out. Dirt and grime become just as trapped by wax as the hair does and this is the main reason why people think dreads are so dirty. They also say its conditioning but it isn't; they add vitamin e, which is. Aloe can be used for every purpose wax can, and rinses clear away, and easily, which wax doesn't (2 weeks of wax use, as directed, has proven to leave a wax core years later, regardless of washing.) Here is a small list of testimonials from members who have had their dreads ruined by wax (along with pictures of wax damage!) Aside from having sticky, dirty dreadlocks that come apart, wax has also been known to promote mold production as well as skin issues (such as acne and hives.) Here is another testimonial from someone who had medical skin issues that wax contributed to!The intention of pointing out these testimonials isn't necessarily to scare you however, the promotion of wax usage is so prolific that just informing upon it's evils isn't enough to convince people of the truth. If you have fallen victim to wax usage, cutting your dreads off isn't the only way to remove it. You can do some serious wax removal with a grease cutting dish soap, such as Dawn dish liquid, or use the wax remover from Bucks County Soap. Both products, used multiple times, with the hottest water you can stand, can help get the wax out but it's a horrendous process.
(the links to the testimonials are on the actual thread, i cant copy hyperlinks)

Now that you are armed with that information this is your best solution:
http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=14The charcoal detox is not listed on the website, however if you order another type of shampoo ( I think liquid?) and just add in the notes of the order you wan her charcoal detox instead of X bottle.

Read read read, knowledge is power and Soaring will be back sooner than later I hope but I dont want to leave anyone hanging until then. If you have any other questions ask and we will all try to pitch in till he returns.

Irie
@irie
7 years ago
41 posts

Also I didnt touch on the breakage because I havnt had that problem yet, nor do I have any real experience with it.
What I do know is if you started with crochet or backcombing that could be the main reason for a LOT of that breakage.

Would be best to wait for soaring or another moderator to answer that.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form