Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

How to make a dread out of short hair clippings + How to add a loved one's hair to your dreads with NO CROCHET OR COMB + Hand Tangled Dread Method

aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
4 months ago
62 posts

I know, longest title in the world but I wanted to be specific for anyone searching methods on how to do any of the things I did lol Below I will have attached pictures of my super long hand tangled dread extension made from hair clippings from my husband and son- from Day 1 to Day 5 when I washed and removed all wrappings to see if it worked well.The clippings were all very short tiny one to two inch pieces instead of one long contiguous lock of cut hair which made it more difficult than this would be for most people trying to add some loved one's hair to your dreads lol But I was determined to do this without anything but my hands and wrapping. So I took all the hair and first made a long dreadlock out of their hair by literally taking all the clippings over a plastic grocery store bag and rubbing them between my hands until they started to knot and tangle (as hair is wont to do) - then I would pull it intermittently to kind of tighten and stretch the hair's length out and harden the knots a tiny bit so I could keep extending it and use all of the hair I had gathered together for this project on my birthday.I kept rubbing and tangling and rolling the mass of tiny hairs like playdough until it formed a roughly ten to twelve inch fuzzy dreadlock! (Took some doing but worth not using a hook or comb) Then I attached it to an existing neglect dread I had by using the same rubbing hand tangling palmrolling method until it was firmly attached (*this probably would have been much easier had I tried to attach it to a section that wasn't dreaded yet but for some reason I thought that it would attach better to an existing dread which I personally found not be the case, just because loose hair tangles easier with other loose hair so the fairly mature dread end I wanted to tangle it into didn't have much "sticky" "grabbiness" to it if that makes sense) then I kept adding fallen hair to the weak areas and strengthening it until I was satisfied and had used all the hair up (haha) Then I wrapped with hemp string criss cross style before wrapping again spiral style with ribbon to keep the excess tiny hairs from falling out as it dreaded together (at least as much as possible) After a few days I took off those ribbons and replaced them with more ribbons and then a few days later did the same thing etc. Then I washed dried and put a wrap back on ! It holds strong well without a wrap and the only downside is the shedding of tiny hairs as it dreads if you use hair clippings like I did (which is all I keep the wraps on for at this point to catch tiny shed hair so that I don't lose much as the knots mature) Like I said, if you used one long contiguous piece of cut hair, this will take way less time, probably be less messy and such but I had what I had ! With one long piece of someone's hair you could easily just pinch and roll knots where the two different locks of hair meet, wrap for a week or so then allow for it to naturally knot the rest of the way if you wanted (which I think would be cooler) I find lots of people who do full natural or neglect still had loved one's hair crocheted onto their dreads, despite the damage- and I hope this reaches people so that they can find a less damaging way to attach other people's hair in the future. <3 i="" am="" so="" proud="" of="" my="" hand="" tangling="" method="" dreadlock="" of="" real="" human="" hair="" that="" i="" didn="" t="" grow="" on="" my="" own="" head="" :="" haha="" anyway="" just="" hit="" my="" one="" year="" dreadiversary="" and="" this="" handtangled="" dread="" just="" turned="" five="" days="" old="" in="" the="" naked="" photo="" of="" the="" dreadlock="" with="" no="" wraps="" at="" all="" will="" post="" updates="" on="" how="" it="" changes="" p="">

updated by @aetherfaither: 07/14/17 11:52:52AM
fundoo
@fundoo
3 months ago
36 posts

oh hey! I just commented on one of your photos. Yeah, that's pretty cool to preserve your family like that. Don't think i will do something like this myself, but it's still cool.

see ya around!

aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
3 months ago
62 posts
Almost a month old
aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
3 months ago
62 posts
phone wouldn't let me add it to the post so posting update pictures in comments
aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
3 months ago
62 posts
It shrank over 6 inches after I dyed, washed and palmrolled it! Went from almost mid-butt to my belly button - it's much sturdier and shorter now
aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
3 months ago
62 posts
it's much more manageable at this length and I just can't believe how much progress it has made in less than a month !! I can't wait to see what else it does
aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
3 months ago
62 posts
Honestly, wrapping with ribbon and hemp for a few days at a time (sometimes hours lol) helps me from not fiddling with it alot - I find palmrolling really has surprisingly helped to condense the knots and has made the dread alot more stiff and strong feeling ! I would never palmroll my neglect babies but for this hair clipping dread I do believe it has made a huge difference in its speedy development ! ➰
aetherfaither
@aetherfaither
3 months ago
62 posts
turned one month old
 / 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form