dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

When/how to moisturize dreads?

i-and-i
@i-and-i
7 years ago
35 posts
Greetings!

So I just came up on my one year dreadiversary (or one year of free-dome, as I like to call it) and I haven't done anything to moisturize my dreads or scalp yet, out of fear it would be detrimental to the dreading process. I've noticed over the winter, though, that my scalp and dreads were getting really dry from the cold weather. so, I think now is a good time to start, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I jump in.
So here's the little bits of info I've found so far:
One naturalist "loctitian" on YouTube (yanniethelocologist) whom I've learned to put a little trust with, recommended a mixture of vitamin E oil and rose water in an applicator bottle, applied solely to the scalp. She also recommends this method for application of any other essential oils, and always reiterates SCALP ONLY

Another you tuber (I know, terrible place for info :P) named zayloc23 said that he uses 100% coconut oil after he washes to replenish the oils removed. He applies it to the scalp and runs a little bit over the length of his dreads. I have a wonderful sage-infused coconut oil that a local indigenous grandmother made for me id love to use, but something about coconut oil worries me about build up, so I've decided to hold off until I discussed this with the community here.

This is about as far as I've gotten, and I have no idea what's correct/incorrect about it as I haven't tried it yet. whats your opinion/experience as far as moisturizing, and what works best for you?

Blessings, dreadlocks family!

updated by @i-and-i: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

out of all the locticians in the world the loctologist is 1 with ethics worthy of respect

and you know i only say that bout like 1% or 0.1%

i usually use any of the following

pure aloe vera must have absolutely nothing but aloe.. from the plant or with 1 single ingredient

jojoba oil chemically nearly identicle to your natural skin oils

argon oil been using this cause i got it

ive used coconut more as a sprits  and watered it down

the grandmothers might be worth tryimg go light on it till you know  though

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form