Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Treatment for hard spots

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I have a few dreads that seem to have a few spot that could be called hard, as they don't react much when I try to squeeze them, in fact, they don't really move much when I do just that. What is a good way to treat those? Would an ACV rinse do the job of loosening them up or is their better method? (I'm still unsure if I should be doing any kind of conditioning, as my roots are still recovering from having used an overly conditioning soap for a little too long)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

is the hair real dry there hardness comes from 1 extreme tightness like crochet 2  residue buildup or 3 if they are very dry were u using sea salt that might be the cause

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I use sea salt about once a week, I am wondering if it is residue build up from the bar soap I used that was a little overly conditioning, that is pretty much the only residue I can think of being in my hair. I have been leaning more toward thinking it is from residue from that soap, so is it more likely build up or is it possibly from my weekly sea salt sprays? Would ACV be a good remedy for this problem or is there a better way to solve it?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

if it feels dry its probly the sea salt 

you could try only using it on the roots or not at all

acv might help but not sure its the best option

aloe or jojoba or something is better but   then you want to avoid the roots

if its residue  anti residue or clarifying shampoos are best though they are harsh too and toxic and not good to use often

id try not using the salt 1st or only use it on the roots

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I have only ever really sprayed it on the roots of my dreads, so I'm not entirely sure if it is the sea salt, as the spot has been on that dread for a long time, it was actually the same spot I had posted a picture of a while back, asking what the cause of it could be. The hard spot (I think it may only be one, I'm not completely sure, though), is on the body of the dread, not near the roots, so avoiding the roots isn't really a problem.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

was that spot interlocked?

it might be residue then

if it was interlocked could be that possibly too

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I'm not entirely sure it was interlocked, as I haven't interlocked my dreads since they were like 6-7 months old - which was now almost like 3 years and 8 months ago, as my hair will be 4 years old in May (although there was one dread that was partially interlocked maybe about when they were still young, but it wasn't done fully nor was that ever repeated after that, so I kind doubt that was the case....and I don't even remember which one it was). So if it is reisdue, ACV, although not a great solution to my problem, is literally the easiest thing for me to use, because I already have it, and can just do a soak....

That spot may also be the spot that I thought was a weak spot that I found on my dreads when they were being maintained....if it is from the interlocking in the past is there any way to fix that spot?

So really I'm wondering should I do an ACV soak or is there some way to fix the spot if it was caused by past interlocking?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

i can try the acv but if its from the interlocking no not really

maybe repeated conditionings (not with acv) might loosen it nough

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

So, an ACV rinse maybe worth a try then? ( I am sort of already feeling like my hair needs moisture anyway....with the way my loose hair has been I am feeling like getting my hair at least wet feels like a good idea....but I'm going to think on that and decide tomorrow, at the very least I'll probably get it wet)

updated by @ravens-light: 02/02/17 12:19:33AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

i hesitate to call acv moisture or a conditioner. technically its an acid.

it softens hair like a conditioner or moisture yes

but stick a bone in acv for 24 hours and a hard bone is softened into rubber  that's bendable .

that's because the bones been partially dissolved. any acid  will dissolve ..well flesh for 1 thing, but weaker acids just take much longer

i am not a chemist or anything  so i don't know if  any acidic softening  automatically recovers  once the ph is neutralized

and again i can't say for sure whether it is the baking soda or acv that causes weakening of the hair..

i just think it might be a mistake to think of acv as either a conditioner notr moisture (i would add aloe or jojoba or both when i wanted conditioning and moisture)

i would instead think of acv as an acid  as such it might be used to dissolve  buildup

coconut oil avocado oil  jojoba morocan argon  etc etc  are moisture and conditioners

now if you think its  buildup the acv might  be an option for limited use

if you think it needs conditioning and moisture //even olive oil is an option ..not the best since it can be a tad too heavy therefore easy to over use and hard to remove excess as the water beads up on your hair

you seem to go back and forth between feeling like its buildup and feeling like it needs moisture and conditioning

iwould try a light conditioning  1st  if that doesn't do it  any buildup from that would be removed with the buildup  that's there if any

i'll tell ya yesterday right b4 washing my dreads they felt dry as straw!  and yea somewhat stiff and hard in a few places

i washed then used a lil of the dreadlockshampoo dread conditioner in a pan of water (i find using it straight takes a whole lot of rinsing for me)  so i did that twice  just to get them extra soft

still a couple spots feel lil hard (i coudnt find my argon or jojoba oils) but in general they feel way way way better

hey the hard spot never has any funky smell when damp does it?

i think something growing in there could make it hard too

but that's a catch 22  the hardness can  hold in water  making it funky, and the funkiness can make it hard (it seems to e anyway)

so..you know all the possible causes pretty much  the only 1 id resort to acv for would be buildup

and theres potentially more effective choices

you could even use a ye dropper or something  wet the hair and put  just a couple drops olive oil on that spot  ..squeeze it in  rinse  repeat (if it didn't get it soft at all try a few more the 2nd time)

it would probly be better to do it several times in a row with less then 1 time with more

like i said if u use too much (if all u have is olive oil) its hard to  rinse out the excess  u can have shiny oily hair   there through a couple or few washes

--
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form