Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 weeks in

bluey
@bluey
7 years ago
19 posts

Hi all, I'm a mom of 2 and very new to my dreadlocks journey. I joined, because I'm looking for some support on whether or not I'm doing this right and if I need to redo my dreads, or if they're right where they should be. I'm the only person I know with dreads, so I have no idea how they're supposed to look at this point. I have fine, straight hair and used the backcombing method. I've used locking gel a few times these past 2 weeks and also have washed them gently a couple of times. Right now, I feel most of them are just bunches of straight hair, but they're still separated into their sections. Is this how they're supposed to look/feel?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

YES  this is 100% normal but stop using the gel

they will oosen more some at fall out completely but they will redread without you doing anything but washing (that's all you need to dread backcombing is a wasted unesacary step)

read the featured discussions related to bckcombing unraveling and gels and waxes and crochet and 1 important 1 "dreading the 1st weeks of dreading'

when people backcomb they panic every day about the dreads doing what dreads need to do to stop beig backcombed hair and become dreads

when yiu dread naturally you get excited an celebrate all the things backcombers panic about like loops shrinking loose hairs  etc

your fine just wash and forget abot them  that's it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

just to be certain no wax or crochet hooks ever touched them..right? 

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

1 more concern section size and number of dreads  at the root where the hair comes from the scalp whats the biggest section size and total number of dreads

many backcombers make the sections way too big to start

--
bluey
@bluey
7 years ago
19 posts

Okay, I'll check out the posts, thanks. We tried wax my first attempt and I ended up having to wash my hair and restart- so no, none this time around. No crochet hooks as I don't get how that works exactly.

We did 1 x 1 sections.... 69 dreads, unless I miscounted

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 1 x 1 is the largest u want but that mango lime stuff many contain ax plastics petroleum they are horrible so u might  want to make sure theres no wax in that and if so get wax b gone to remove it

--
bluey
@bluey
7 years ago
19 posts

I have really thin hair, it felt like any smaller and the hair wouldn't tangle at all. Okay, I 'll check.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

it would tangle at 1 mm sections  but with fine hair  the best results are 1-3  thicj=k ones for body  dzens of medium fior fullness and lots of thin to give the illusion of more hair and fill in the gaps but 65 dreads is a reasonable number 4 sure

--
bluey
@bluey
7 years ago
19 posts

Good to know. Thanks for helping me.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form