Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Some more technical questions about washing

AlienEmotion
@alienemotion
8 years ago
36 posts

Ok I'm now about a month and a half into the process and everything is going well. I've bought some DR shampoos and I really like them, however I still have some questions about washing. 

When I wash I rub the scalp like said many times and I try to mess with the hair as little as possible. But I have some issues with shampoo distribution. I usually just squeeze a fairly big ammount on my palm, then put it on my head and start rubbing. But what happens is shampoo just stays in that one place on my head, it doesn't produce a lot of foam and I have troubles distributing it across the entire scalp. I usually rinse and repeat the process but still I manage to achieve best results in maybe 2 places on my head and I feel like I haven't properly washed other areas.

Once the shampoo is on my head I try not to distribute it too agressively because my dreads are in a very early stages. I thought perhaps applying a more liberal ammount would help, then rub my palms to produce some foam and then perhaps add more gradually as I'm washing. Also should I continue with a rinse and repeat process and wash it 2 times or should it just try to wash the best I can and do it only once?

Edit: I forgot too mention that I'm washing twice a week. At first I wanted to do it only once, but my scalp starts itching after cca. 3 days so I think washing 2x a week is best for me.

Edit2: I noticed that my dandruff has dissapeared since I started using Vicki's dread shampoo, very satisifed!

Thx.

updated by @alienemotion: 09/28/16 10:20:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

are you talking about dr bronners? only use that if you do not have hard water

but if your water is safe for bronners, then dilute it 12 times more water then soap

you do not need a lot of foam! the main ingredient in most shampoos that makes it foam is sls..toxic, skin irritant,  carcinogen..etc

pour some on your head, (or did you get the bar?)

use fingertips to rub it in and rinse

try doing your head in quadrants (how i do it) like front left, rinse, front right, rinse back left rinse back right rinse

then rinse everything ..alot

i rinse and rinse and rinse some more

whats the exact shampoo u use

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AlienEmotion
@alienemotion
8 years ago
36 posts

Thx this idea about quadrants seems good and helpful, I'll try it out next time when washing.

Actually I use Vicki's dread shampoo, I've been using it for a bit over a week now, but I have really hard water and it's not producing much foam like I said. But ok you said much foam is not desirable anyway.

Ok if I understood correctly you recommend just washing and rinsing many times, it's nothing wrong if I do it up to 4 5 times and use smaller ammount of shampoo on each section of my head.

Do I have to rinse after I wash each section or can I just leave it in and then just thoroughly rinse once after I'm done?

When I rinse should I also use my fingers like when washing or should I just pour water on my head and let it rinse out?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

ok its the liquid, not bar then?

yes you can do it that way, i put like a quarter sized blob on each section making sure the hairs good and wet 1st

if you wet then section then apply shampoo and rub it in you'll get plenty of lather

if needed give it a lil sprinkle to wet it a lill more to get more lather

--
AlienEmotion
@alienemotion
8 years ago
36 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

ok its the liquid, not bar then?

yes you can do it that way, i put like a quarter sized blob on each section making sure the hairs good and wet 1st

if you wet then section then apply shampoo and rub it in you'll get plenty of lather

if needed give it a lil sprinkle to wet it a lill more to get more lather

I'm still using liquid atm, I love it but it doesn't produce a lot of lather, which is normal I guess. I was used to those artificial shampoos with a lot of lather everywhere so gotta get used to more natural now.

updated by @alienemotion: 09/13/16 11:24:10AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

better for ya that way

--
3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

I second doing your hair in quadrants. I put a small amount in my hand and work each section. Good luck!

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316
ceebenn
@ceebenn
8 years ago
36 posts

I appreciate this discussion. It seems like a small thing but you do feel like you are rubbing away progress if you wash too vigorously. I have sort of resigned myself that I might be stepping backwards a bit with my washing, but it's better than having an itchy, dandruff-y head and being uncomfortable.

i also find the shampoo doesn't foam up too much but my head always feels better after I wash. My hair is still short so really only the longer part in the back is clumping. It will take a long time. Your length looks good and I'm sure it is looking better than you realize.

i always rinse pretty normally under the shower head, just don't rub it. I plug my nose and ears (haha) and just dunk my head under the medium pressure water. I dont use a towel, well, I do squeeze a bit and air dry.

ceebenn
@ceebenn
8 years ago
36 posts

I almost feel like my hair is too clean to form locks, is that possible?? When I touch it, it feels silky and smooth, not dry enough to tangle at all unless I fuzz it up or sort of twist it. It's so hard to figure out how these little tiny sections would turn into fuzzy locks??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

cleans good oily or over conditioned isnt  the shampoo that contains sea salt should keep it from being too slipery

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form