dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Combatting mold in wet climates?

i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts
Peace and love, everyone!

So I've been free forming for 6 months thanks to this site, and decided to make an account to address a couple questions I have about mold and mildew in dreads.
I wash with the baking soda and ACV method on here, using rosemary, tea tree and lavender and chamomile tea, and since my hair was still in the beginning steps of dreading, I use to let my hair get wet in the shower every day when I showered. I also went to bed within an hour or two of washing my hair a couple times, and often wore headbands immediately after washing, and have since noticed some the mildew smell associated with dread mold starting to appear when y hair is wet.
I have since stopped all of these bad habits, I wear a shower cap on off days, blow dry my hair after I wash it, wash it in the morning instead of at night, and don't wear anything on my head until it's mostly dry (or temporarily for a quick smoke sessions so I don't light it on fire).
I plan to buy the dread rot shampoo stuff in a week or so, and will let you guys know how that works, but for starters, is there anything else I should be doing to prevent mold? I have neve touched wax, just to get that out of the way.

Also, I live in Washington and it rains all but 2 months out of the year. Is there anything I can do to prevent mold with all that moisture? I'll probably start using the dread rot product once a month if it seems to work for me, but is there anything else I might do? I want them to be as clean and healthy as possible, and mold is a HUGE downer to me.

I attached some pictures of my dreads, in case anyone needs reference. There's a few that are pretty well matured, but the rest are baby dreads or curls just now dreading.

Blessings and prosperity!
image.jpg
image.jpg  •  1.1MB

image.jpg
image.jpg  •  1.3MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

well always dry well after rain, don't tie up or wear anything till dry

using the rot knot monthly is a great idea

also don't use the baking soda acv anymore it weakens hair

lavender and lemongrass should help prevent it but when u got it already the rot knot kicks its ass

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts

Awesome, thank you so much! 

also, what's my best bet at telling when they are completely dry, especially when blow drying?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

squeeze em feel for any dampness deep within

then for good measure wait till the next day to wear a tam

--
i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts

Update:

I got some of Vicki's shampoo and Rot Knot and started using it about a week ago, and I'm ECSTATICALLY impressed! My dread rot had over a month to sit and build in my hair and i was starting to get scared i'd have to cut my hair, but i've used a little less the half of the bottle of rot knot over 3 wash periods spread out over a week, and the mold is almost completely non existent! i still get an ever so slight hint of the smell when wet (more then likely my imagination), but ill use the rot knot one more time on a wash day for good measure and then start using it every month.

I was curious as to what method i should use with the rot knot in future instances, though. it didn't have directions, so i used it like shampoo the first time and it did very little, so the second time i wet my hair down (so the rot knot could settle into my super dense hair better), squeezed my dreads as i applied it to help it soak into the center of them and then let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing, and this method seemed to work a lot more efficiently. What methods seem to work for others who have tried it, and is there anything in my method that seems flawed or potentially dangerous to dreads? 

Again, THANK YOU Vicki and soaring eagle for saving my dreads from mold! most dreadies I meet in my area have that musty smell even when theyre dreads are dry due to our never ending Pacific northwest rain, and now that i know theres an effective way to make dreads in our area healthy, ill be doing my best to spread the message!

Peace, Love and Prosperity all!

Namaste

P.S. has anyone tried Vicki's dreadlock gel? ive never put products in dreads, but i'm curious as to its validity as "residue free" and whether it will help or hinder the freeforming process. any info on it would be greatly appreciated!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

when you use it, you can use an entire bottle, squeeze it in really saturate them.. its not a shampoo its a treatment so let it stay in  them 10 minutes

use as much as you need to really saturate them to the core

even a whole bottle at once rinses out with ease

but the key is to get them saturated to the core and leave it in 10 minutes or even longer

that was 1 use should be all you need

but it is magically delicious  huh

--
i-and-i
@i-and-i
8 years ago
35 posts

Awesome, ill do that next time for sure!

it is seriously amazing, even using it wrong it worked! i was becoming very uncomfortable with my dreads knowing that smell was mold, and i got a bit disheartened, but I am once again eager to continue on my dread journey and in love with my hair Happy

definitely a tool in my dread care toolbox that i will never do without!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,639 posts

i always have a bottle on hand...just in case

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form