Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Checking out the rear view

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

I'm almost 11 months in to my natural, free form journey. This is a photo I took last week. I did not force most sections and just tried to keep them separated by how the knots were forming. It's the first real look I've had at the back of my head since I started. My hair is thin and fine, slightly thinner from the crown forward on the top of my head.

I guess it's pretty normal to look this way at this point, especially because I've seen A LOT of shrinkage in the last few months. My hair was halfway down my back when I decided to start letting it dread. Just looking for thoughts or insight. I counted 42 dreads last week, and still have hair at the side-front near the ears that has yet to lock up.

Should I pull any apart? Most sections feel to be between 1 to 2 inches wide with the dread shafts forming at only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide. A couple are 1/4 of an inch at the scalp section. Some are between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch.

Will wrapping my hair during the day while at work be detrimental, or might it help with the forming of new dreads in between? Just curious.

updated by @arkynstone-gypsyfae: 01/13/15 10:06:14PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well the u in fronts more inb focus then the u in the mirror but maybe some of the thick ones can be separated but thats alotta shrinkage!

im unsure wether its a concern they are thick chunky and blunted so how well do tyhey dy

wrapping cound bedestrimental and add to theissue but if u gotta do it do it just separate lil more offten

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

Yeah, I know the focus is a bit off. I can try to get a better photo when someone's home to take one. :)

I thought so too regarding the amount of shrinkage that happened, but I don't mind that so much. It dries pretty well and usually takes only a couple hours for most of them to dry. Only a 2 or 3 of them are still slightly damp by the end of my work day (5:30pm).

There are 2 that I might take apart which could possibly form 2-3 each. I do have a scalp patch that shows where the one is, and I'm sure that will help that issue.

As to separating, I've been doing that once a day or every other day, depending on how much they seem to be grabbing each other. Thought maybe that was contributing to it and was going to start separating less frequently.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm for most ppl weekly is enough but i just alwats do 1 here 1 there nothing on a schedukle just if i hapento find 1 that needs it if it seems to hsave knotted up alot ill go through and check most of em but its very random

--
Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

Yeah, pretty much how it goes. Most don't need me to do anything most days. However, today would be three days since I last separated and I can feel some starting to combine, mostly in places that I tend to sleep on more.

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

OK, so two and a half hours later and I combed out one of the two largest-based dreads. It is now three.

Here's a more focused, closer pics of the back of my head.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

seems better already huh

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form