dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinning dread and falling out

Irene
@irene
10 years ago
3 posts

Hello,

I have been growing dreadlocks for about 12 months. they have been started in a saloon with the crocheting method. In a year, I have been twice to maintain them and had two crocheting session.

Today many dread, on the top of my head, started thinning and falling out. My impression is that part of the root broke and the dreads started to become thinner and thinner (see photos).

To give you some background:

- The dread were rather small since the beginning, probably less than an inch/root per dread;

- In the past I have used to put extensions to my hair. Result is that I lost many of them on the top of my head and front. This is also why I decided to start growing natural dread and avoid further damage;

- My hair are generally thin;

- I have no diet concern or particular nutrient deficiency (blood test results are generally fine). Every now and then thought my finger nails become weak and break;

- I wash may hair twice a week with a shampoo called "repairing shampoo" Of Occitane. I put natural argan oil twice a week on the scalp.

- I sleep with a silk net

Today I am wondering what are the steps I need to take in order to avoid further damage to may dread/hair and let the dread recover and grow. I guess I should stop crocheting, as suggest in the forum, but any other suggestion?

Thank you very much,

Irene

updated by @irene: 01/13/15 10:05:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

absolutely stop crocheting

1 thing to note u say they were thin to start..then say less then an inch atthe root

an inch at the roots the thickest u would ever want

crochet generaly makes dreads 1/3rd the thickness of a healthy dread with the same sized section

now the shampoo your using is not dread safe! stop using it and use a dread shqampoo

if your hair and nails are weak the 1 vitamin u might be deficient in and 1 they probly wouldnt test for is biotin vitamin b 6 i think it is biotin ucan get at any drug or gnc type places or get in a "stronger hair and nails' suplimenmt

it will also double even triple the growth rates after a few months use

and stay away from salons!

in fact demand a refund and tell them how damaging crochet is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

also irf your twisting..stop

any chance your pregnant going through menapause or having other hormonal chganges (recent miscarriage ?)

or could u be under severe stress

just covering all bases it definately looks like sal9n caused harm though all of the above can cause shedding and thinning but a generalized thinning not so much thinned damaged spots

as far as repair goes in the ones your very worried might break iu can kinda push it down so that the thicker stronger parts meet and the thinned parts form a look then wrap from an inch or 2 above to an inch or 2 below at least to make sortsa like a cast so they can dread together

in the picvs only the 1 looks to be that thin that id worry and bother trying that

--
Irene
@irene
10 years ago
3 posts

Thank you very much.

I will stop crocheting, buy a residue free shampoo and add biotin to my diet. Just a couple of more question:

- For the regrowth, where the dread broke or felt, should I group the new hair gently or should I leave them be?

- I probably expressed myself wrongly on the size of the roots. the area that was used to knot at the beginning was about 1 inch square. The root of the dreads varies between 3 and 5 mm. should I congo the smallest ones?

- Moisturizing: should I used aloe 100% gel?

Thank you very much

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

nah you expressed yourself righgt

you see the healthy dread size should be approximately the size of tyhe area ofthehair coming from the scalp

now in salon dreads especialy african america 'locs' they plan ahead on balding they make a 1 inch square then twist twist twist till the dreads 1/4 inch but near the roots only 1-3 mm with wide bald gaps between

so as yoiur dreads become healthy they should thicken up to aroiund that 1 inch size

the dreads that are in danger u can careefully wrap some of the new growth around it or leave it alone the ones that are looking like thewy may break try wrapping in hemp or embroidery thread but after making the thicker parts meat so the thinned parts form a loop

by that i mean simply moving the dread so the thick parts touch And the thinned part sticks out to tghe sides then when you wrap it thiose thinned parts will overlap the thicker parts and it should dread together

as for moisture best options are

jojoba oil wich c hemicaly is nearly the same as your skinsd natural oils

or pure aloe pure aloe is hard to get though eitjher u get it straight from the plant or buy it as a food/drink that has nothinmg in it at all but aloe check the ingredients and there should only be 1

oils like africas best haoir oil can work too but i find them too thick anfd heavy and hard to get out and easy to overuse...in my hair type anyways

www.dreadlockshampoo.com makes the besty shampoos and if u use the bars u might not need anything extra the liquid yeathat will dry out your hair the bars though u might not need any added oils or anything

wash at least weekly or more

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form