dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tea Tree Oil for treating dandruff?

Tat Tvam Asi
@christian-villadsen
10 years ago
29 posts

Hello there everyone.

I know Tea Tree Oil is supposed to relieve dandruff symptoms for many people, but I was wondering if you could apply the oil directly unto your scalp in order to achieve this?

I don't use any shampoo or anything really that I could mix it with, so how would I go about doing this? I'm asking since I've read that it's not a good idea to apply such oils directly unto your skin.

Thanks.

updated by @christian-villadsen: 01/13/15 10:05:03PM
Lisa Ann Maynard
@lisa-ann-maynard
10 years ago
4 posts
I read that yes its ok to apply the oil directly to the skin but, do a small test area first & if your sensitive to the oil (burning, redness, irritation) then to mix it with a base oil such as coconut oil. Just make sure the neautral oil (base oil) is pure essential oil. If your scalp/hair is overly greasy (produces large amounts of sebum) I wouldn't use an oil base but rather cut the tea tree oil down with warm water in something you can shake to incorporate the mixture. Im not sure of the ratio. Id say thats personal preference.Water is the safest route to go since you dont want to add anything greasy or thats not water soluble to dreads, especially young dreads that haven't fully locked!! Hope this helps!
Anna Blocker
@anna-blocker
10 years ago
25 posts

I put tea tree and lavender EO (few drops each until it smells as strong as i want) in warm water and soak my head in it as if doing a BS wash.

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts
Don't apply full strength Tea Tree Oil to your scalp, you run the risk of developing an allergic reaction & you won't be able to use it anymore. Yes Tea Tree will help, but what is the cause of your scalp shedding excessive skin cells? Is it dry? Then oils applied after washing to help retain moisture will help. Is your scalp to oily? If so you could have normal skin flora or fungal yeast like organisms running rampant on all the triglycerides in your sebum. In that case oils will only make it worse, cloves are a natural anti-fungal agent & wash once every three days. How often do you wash?Lesser common causes are Psoriases, Eczema and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. You would definitely know you had these as they affect not just the scalp but the entire body as well.Also use it not just in your wash, but in a soothing brewed tea spray you can keep in your refrigerator for in between washes. Choose soothing herbs like the ones I recommend to Mario. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/profiles/blogs/tea-tree-oil?xg_source=activity
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form