Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Pony Tails for Dreads?

Jenneth Person Wilson
@jenneth-person-wilson
10 years ago
6 posts

Someone told my son that putting his hair into a pony tail would help the dreads grow. I cannot find where they got their information. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this? I was thinking we should snip the current dreads off and start over with a short 'fro. After reading some of the info here, I'm thinking it's not necessary to start over. Here's somepics taken this past June: I'm sorry the one is sideways, it's fine on my computer, but I can't figure out how to rotate it here in this post.

updated by @jenneth-person-wilson: 02/14/15 05:37:02PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

pony tails slow dreading and encourage congos if left in all the time no they wont affect growth..lol growth occurs inside the scalp only

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jenneth Person Wilson
@jenneth-person-wilson
10 years ago
6 posts

soaring eagle said:

pony tails slow dreading and encourage congos if left in all the time no they wont affect growth..lol growth occurs inside the scalp only

...LOL. That's what I thought! However, my 14 year old son will believe this other person over me because she already raised a Black Boy (his words), and therefore she knows more than I do. I love the info here on this web site, and I appreciate the feed back to my question. Thank you!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

u say hes got like 5 inches loose at the roots does he keep a band or something tied ariund them nonstop

iu8 used to know an austrailian woman who wore a wrap around hers all the time 24/7 the ends dreaded in bals the part that was wrappen never drweaded even after years

--
Jenneth Person Wilson
@jenneth-person-wilson
10 years ago
6 posts

soaring eagle said:

u say hes got like 5 inches loose at the roots does he keep a band or something tied ariund them nonstop

iu8 used to know an austrailian woman who wore a wrap around hers all the time 24/7 the ends dreaded in bals the part that was wrappen never drweaded even after years

He has just recently started putting a soft elastic, fabric coated hair twist in his hair, but not 24/7. It's a typethat I use in my own much finer hair, so it shouldn't do any damage to his for the short periods of time he wears it. I think it's just getting to the point where it's long enough that he's not sure what to do with it, so he's trying the pony tail. I just wanted to be sure we weren't going to damage his hair and that my thoughts about the pony tail promoting the dreads was accurate.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

always besttio tie dreads with dreads

im just wonderuing why his roots are si long undreaded

whats he wash with and how often

--
Jenneth Person Wilson
@jenneth-person-wilson
10 years ago
6 posts

this was taken after the first appointment a year and a half ago.

soaring eagle said:

always besttio tie dreads with dreads

im just wonderuing why his roots are si long undreaded

whats he wash with and how often

His roots are so long due to lack of maintenance. Lack of maintenance is due to lack of knowledge, patients, and time. This web site is the first I've ever heard of Natural Dreads with little to no twisting (if I remember what I've read correctly) so some of the lack of care has been due to lack of funds as well. WHEN he showers, and IF he gets his head wet at all (remember, he's 14), I think he's just using his finger tips on his scalp with the water. He has not asked me to buy any shampoo since before the first time he went to Blessings (the salon in Eugene)to get the dreads started/locked.

updated by @jenneth-person-wilson: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

that right theres why they arent locking if u get him to wash with a dread sham,poo a minumum iof weekly they will start to dread right up

--
Jenneth Person Wilson
@jenneth-person-wilson
10 years ago
6 posts

soaring eagle said:

that right theres why they arent locking if u get him to wash with a dread sham,poo a minumum iof weekly they will start to dread right up

Money is an issue for us right now: can you recommend one that isn't too spendy? Is this something that can be purchased at a beauty supply, or only online? Any info on this type of product would be very much appreciated.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is the best almost anything from a beauty s=upply isnt good

he can use the baking soda deep cleanse for now itssuper cheap but the dreadlockshampoos better inthe long run

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form